• Re: Jonson and Oxford, History and Good and Evil Fame (2/2)

From marc hanson@21:1/5 to Dennis on Sun Dec 5 09:39:39 2021
    [continued from previous message]

Poetry, in this latter age, hath proved but a mean mistress to such as have wholly addicted themselves to her, or given their names up to her family. They who have but saluted her on the by, and now and then tendered their visits, she hath done much
    for, and advanced in the way of their own professions (both the law and the gospel) beyond all they could have hoped or done for themselves without her favour. Wherein she doth emulate the judicious but preposterous bounty of the time’s grandees, who
    accumulate all they can upon the parasite or fresh-man in their friendship; but think an old client or honest servant bound by his place to write and starve.

Indeed, the multitude commend writers as they do fencers or wrestlers, who if they come in robustiously and put for it with a deal of violence are received for the braver fellows; when many times their own rudeness is a cause of their disgrace, and a
    slight touch of their adversary gives all that boisterous force the foil. But in these things the unskilful are naturally deceived, and judging wholly by the bulk, think rude things greater than polished, and scattered more numerous than composed; nor
    think this only to be true in the sordid multitude, but the neater sort of our gallants; for all are the multitude, only they differ in clothes, not in judgment or understanding.

Principes et administri - There is a great difference in the understanding of some princes, as in the quality of their ministers about them. Some would dress their masters in gold, pearl, and all the true jewels of majesty; others furnish them with *
    feathers, bells, and riband*, and are therefore esteemed the fitter servants. But they are ever good men that must make good the times; if the men be naught, the times will be such. Finis expectandus est in unoquoque hominum; animali ad mutationem
    promptissmo.

Mali Choragi fuere. -- It is an art to have so much judgment as to apparel a lie well, to give it a good dressing; that though the nakedness would show deformed and odious, the suiting of it might draw their readers. Some love any strumpet, be she
    never so shop-like or meretricious, in good clothes But these, nature could not have formed them better to destroy their own testimony and overthrow their calumny.

Amorphus/Oxford - Shreds of Forms
    Jonson, Cynthia's Revels, Fountain of Selfe-Love - fountain

fons (Latin)
    Origin & history
    From a Proto-Indo-European root cognate with Sanskrit धन्वति (dhanvati, "flows, runs"), perhaps *dʰen- ("to flow"). See also Danube.
    Noun
    fōns (genitive fontis) (masc.)
    a spring, a fountain
    Quaesitum ad fontem solos deducere verpus.
    To guide only the circumcised to the fountain that they seek.
    fresh water, spring water
    (by extension) an origin, a source

note - flow facility necessary to be stopped
    Horace - muddy fountain - carries along what should have been left behind ******************************
    De Shakespeare Nostrat 1

I REMEMBER the players have often mentioned it as an honor to Shakespeare, that in his writing, whatsoever he penned, he never blotted out a line. My answer hath been, “Would he had blotted a thousand,” which they thought a malevolent speech. I had
    not told posterity this but for their IGNORANCE, who chose that circumstance to COMMEND their friend by wherein he most faulted; and to justify mine own candor, for I loved the man, and do honor his memory on this side idolatry as much as any. He was,
    indeed, honest, and of an open and free nature; had an excellent fancy, brave notions, and gentle expressions, wherein he flowed with that facility that sometime it was necessary he should be stopped. “Sufflaminandus erat,” 2 as Augustus said of
    Haterius. His wit was in his own power; would the rule of it had been so too. Many times he fell into those things, could not escape laughter, as when he said in the person of Cæsar, one speaking to him: “Cæsar, thou dost me wrong.” He replied: “
    Cæsar did never wrong but with just cause; 3 and such like, which were ridiculous. But he redeemed his vices with his virtues. There was ever more in him to be praised than to be pardoned.

note to Horace, Epistle III
    Pindarici fontis qui non espalluit haustus. By taking Draughts of Pindar's Fountain he means the imitation of his Style, as if Pindar had a Fountain peculiar to himself, whos Waters inspired him with Enthusiasm and Poetick Fire, or rather as if Pindar'
    s Works were the very Fountain itself(...)

Cynthia's Revels, Jonson - Amorphus/Oxford discoverer of the fountain of Selfe-Love.

Alciato's Book of Emblems

Emblem 69

Self-love

Because your figure pleased you too much, Narcissus, it was changed into a flower, a plant of known senselessness. Self-love is the withering and destruction of natural power which brings and has brought ruin to many learned men, who having thrown away
    the method of the ancients seek new doctrines and pass on nothing but their own fantasies.

http://www.mun.ca/alciato/e069.html

DL Clark, Imitation

Most of what we call literary criticism in Greece and Rome was produced in an endeavor to discover the best models for imitation..

Male impersonators: men performing masculinity
    By Mark Simpson

According to the Greek myth Narcissus was told by the blind seer Teiresias when he was a child that he should live to a great age if he never knew himself. Narcissus grew up to be a beautiful young man but proud and haughty. An embittered youth,
    unrequited in his love for Narcissus, cursed him to love that which could not be obtained. One day on Mount Helicon Narcissus caught sight of his own reflection 'endowed with all the beauty that man could desire and unawares he began to love the image of
    himself which, although itself perfect beauty, could not return his love.' Narcissus, worn out by the futility of his love, turned into the yellow-centred flower with white petals named after him.

The myth tells us something about the relation of modern man to his own image. Narcissus is not seduced by his reflection in any common pool - he glimpses and falls in love with his reflection on Mount Helicon, the sacred mountain where Apollo, Artemis
    and the Muses danced: the symbolic centre of the arts. His reflection is not one of nature but an idealized image refracted through man's art. Thus his image is 'endowed with all the beauty that man could desire' and he falls in love with it. And like
    nineties Western man, Narcissus finds that it is a love that 'could not be obtained'.

Shakespeare's Sonnets -

Sin of self-love possesseth all mine eye
    And all my soul and all my every part;
    And for this sin there is no remedy,
    It is so grounded inward in my heart.
    Methinks no face so gracious is as mine,
    No shape so true, no truth of such account;
    And for myself mine own worth do define,
    As I all other in all worths surmount.
    But when my glass shows me myself indeed,
    Beated and chopp'd with tann'd antiquity,
    Mine own self-love quite contrary I read;
    Self so self-loving were iniquity.
    'Tis thee, myself, that for myself I praise,
    Painting my age with beauty of thy days.

Cynthia's Revels,

TO THE

SPECIAL FOUNTAIN of MANNERS,

The Court.

THou art a Bountiful and Brave Spring, and waterest all the Noble Plants of this Island. In thee the whole Kingdom dresseth it self, and is ambitious to use thee as her Glass. *Beware then thou render Mens Figures truly, and teach them no less to hate
    their Deformities, than to love their Forms*: For, to Grace, there should come Reverence; and no Man can call that Lovely, which is not also Venerable. It is not Powd'ring, Perfuming, and every day smelling of the Taylor, that converteth to a Beautiful
    Object: but a Mind shining through any Sute, which needs no False Light, either of Riches or Honours, to help it. Such shalt thou find some here, even in the Reign of C Y N T H I A, (a C R I T E S and an A R E T E.) Now, under thy P H œ B U S, it will
    be thy Province to make more: Except thou desirest to have thy Source mix with the Spring of Self-love, and so wilt draw upon thee as welcom a Discovery of thy Days, as was then made of her Nights. Thy Servant, but not Slave,

BEN. JOHNSON.

Auerbach, Figura

These variants (note -usages of figura) had great vitality, and were to enjoy a significant career; "model," "copy," "figment, "dream image," (note - includes 'figment of fancy' and 'ghost' also mentions 'constellation') - all these meanings clung to
    figura. But it was in still another sphere that Lucretius developed his most ingenious use of the word. As we know, he professed the cosmogony of Democritus and Epicurus, according to which the world is built up of atoms calls the atoms primordia,
    principia, corpuscula, elementa, semina, and in a very general sense, he also called them corpora, quora concursus motus ordo positura figura (bodies whose combination, motion, order, position, figura") BRING *FORTH* the things of the world. But though
    small , the atoms are material and formed: they have infinitely divese shapes; and so it comes about that he often calls them "forms," figurae, and that conversely one may often translate figurae, as Diels has done, by "atoms." The numerous atoms are in
    constant motion: they move about in the void, combine and repel one another: a dance of figures. This use of the word does not seem to have gone beyond Lucretius; the Thesaurus cites only one other example of it in Claudian, at the end of the fourth
    century. in this small sphere, Lucretius' most original creation was without influence, but there is no doubt that of all the authors I have studied in connection with figura, it was Lucretius who made the most brilliant, though not the most historically
    important contribution.

Jonson, Poetaster
    Author
    ...But they that have incensed me, can in soul
    Acquit me of that guilt. They know I dare
    To spurn or baffle them, or squirt their eyes
    With ink or urine; or I could do worse,
    Arm'd with Archilochus' fury, write Iambics,
    Should make the desperate lashers hang themselves;
    Rhime them to death, as they do Irish rats
    In drumming tunes. Or, living, I could stamp
    Their foreheads with those deep and public brands,
    That the whole company of barber-surgeon a
    Should not take off with all their art and plasters.
    And these my prints should last, still to be read
    In their pale fronts; when, what they write 'gainst me
    Shall, like a figure drawn in water, fleet,
    And the poor wretched papers be employed
    To clothe tobacco, or some cheaper drug:
    This I could do, and make them infamous.
    But, to what end? when their own deeds have mark'd 'em;
    And that I know, within his guilty breast
    Each slanderer bears a whip that shall torment him
    Worse than a million of these temporal plagues:
    Which to pursue, were but a feminine humour,
    And far beneath the dignity of man.

Shakespeare
    O! lest the world should task you to recite
    What merit lived in me, that you should love
    After my death,--dear love, forget me quite,
    For you in me can nothing worthy prove.
    Unless you would devise some virtuous lie,
    To do more for me than mine own desert,
    And hang more praise upon deceased I
    Than niggard truth would willingly impart:
    O! lest your true love may seem false in this
    That you for love speak well of me untrue,
    My name be buried where my body is,
    And live no more to shame nor me nor you.
    For I am shamed by that which I bring forth,
    And so should you, to love things nothing worth.

Horace
    ODE XX.

TO MAECENAS.

I, a two-formed poet (biformis?), will be conveyed through the liquid air with no vulgar or humble wing; nor will I loiter upon earth any longer; and superior to envy, I will quit cities. Not I, even I, the blood of low parents, my dear Maecenas, shall
    die; nor shall I be restrained by the Stygian wave. At this instant a rough skin settles upon my ankles, and all upwards I am transformed into a white bird, and the downy plumage arises over my fingers and shoulders. Now, a melodious bird, more
    expeditious than the Daedalean Icarus, I will visit the shores of the murmuring Bosphorus, and the Gzetulean Syrtes, and the Hyperborean plains. Me the Colchian and the Dacian, who hides his fear of the Marsian cohort, land the remotest Gelonians, shall
    know: me the learned Spaniard shall study, and he that drinks of the Rhone. Let there be no dirges, nor unmanly lamentations, nor bewailings at my imaginary funeral; suppress your crying, and forbear the superfluous honors of a sepulcher.

Restraining Edward de Vere/Restraining Fancy

Image, Rhetoric, and Politics in the early Thomas Hobbes
    Todd Butler
    In the publication of the Eight Books we thus find the culmination of the humanist Hobbes's earliest theories on political imagery, theories Hobbes had begun exploring several years before in the Discourses. Torn between fascination and distaste for
    the power of images to move the multitudes, Hobbes identifies the work of the imagination as the primary site for political conflict. Rhetoricians are perhaps to be distrusted and their words suspected, but their weapons are not to be abandoned. Instead
    the danger must be neutralized by reorienting private desires to public aims, a task that paradoxically requires the use of the imagination and its ability to create from all substances—words and stones—monuments that can instruct an audience
    properly and effectively. In translating Thucydides, Hobbes must ask of himself what he would demand of others, harnessing his private ambition, itself carefully hidden in his letter to Lady Devonshire, to the public task of maintaining the decorum of
    Caroline government. To be sure, Hobbes's attitude toward history and the role of the imagination would vary. In Leviathan Hobbes asserts that in histories "Fancy hath no place, but only in adorning the style." To some extent his insistence in Leviathan
    on the need for judgment's preeminence echoes the earlier conclusions he makes in his translation of Thucydides, though the sum of his earlier work is not nearly as insistent upon THE RESTRAINT OF FANCY as a whole. At this moment, for all his hostility
    toward Dionysius and Herodotus, Hobbes never charges them with being ineffectual or insignificant. While their rhetoric presents a substantial threat to the proper ordering of men's thought in a commonwealth, Hobbes must ultimately answer them in kind.

THE RESTRAINT OF FANCY/'SHAKESPEARE'S QUILL' (and jonsonian-judgement's preeminence):

From To the Deceased Author of these Poems...William Cartwright (note- of the Tribe of Ben)

Jasper Mayne

...And as thy Wit was like a Spring, so all
    The soft streams of it we may Chrystall call:
    No cloud of Fancie, no mysterious stroke,
    No Verse like those which antient Sybils spoke;
    No Oracle of Language, to amaze
    The Reader with a dark, or Midnight Phrase,
    Stands in thy Writings, which are all pure Day,
    A cleer, bright Sunchine, and the mist away.
    That which Thou wrot'st was sense, and that sense good,
    Things not first written, and then understood:

Or if sometimes thy Fancy soar'd so high
    As to seem lost to the unlearned Eye,
    'Twas but like generous Falcons, when high flown,
    Which mount to make the Quarrey more their own.

For thou to Nature had'st joyn'd Art, and skill.
    In Thee BEN JOHNSON still HELD SHAKESPEARE'S QUILL:
    A QUILL, RUL'D by sharp Judgement, and such Laws,
    As a well studied Mind, and Reason draws.
    Thy Lamp was cherish'd with suppolied of Oyle,
    Fetch'd from the Romane and the Graecian soyle. (snip)

(Restraining/Holding/Ruling Shakespeare's Quill/Jonson and Cartwright's Judgements' Preeminence)
    Earl of Oxford - Loss of Good Name

Fram’d in the front of forlorn hope past all recovery,
    I stayless stand, to abide the shock of shame and infamy.
    My life, through ling’ring long, is lodg’d in lair of loathsome ways;
    My death delay’d to keep from life the harm of hapless days.
    My sprites, my heart, my wit and force, in deep distress are drown’d;
    The only loss of my good name is of these griefs the ground.

And since my mind, my wit, my head, my voice and tongue are weak,
    To utter, move, devise, conceive, sound forth, declare and speak,
    Such piercing plaints as answer might, or would my woeful case,
    Help crave I must, and crave I will, with tears upon my face,
    Of all that may in heaven or hell, in earth or air be found,
    To wail with me this loss of mine, as of these griefs the ground.

Help Gods, help saints, help sprites and powers that in the heaven do dwell, Help ye that are aye wont to wail, ye howling hounds of hell;
    Help man, help beasts, help birds and worms, that on the earth do toil;
    Help fish, help fowl, that flock and feed upon the salt sea soil,
    Help echo that in air doth flee, shrill voices to resound,
    To wail this loss of my good name, as of these griefs the ground.

E.O.

The First Book of the Epistles of Horace.

EPISTLE I.

TO MAECENAS.

The poet renounces all verses of a ludicrous turn, and resolves to apply himself wholly to the study of philosophy, which teaches to bridle the desires, and to postpone every thing to virtue. Maecenas, the subject of my earliest song, justly entitled
    to my latest, dost thou seek to engage me again in the old lists, having been tried sufficiently, and now presented with the foils? My age is not the same, nor is my genius. Veianius, his arms consecrated on a pillar of Hercules’ temple, lives snugly
    retired in the country, that he may not from the extremity of the sandy amphitheater so often supplicate the people’s favor. Some one seems frequently to ring in my purified ear: “Wisely in time dismiss the aged courser, lest, an object of derision,
    he miscarry at last, and break his wind.” Now therefore I lay aside both verses, and all other sportive matters; my study and inquiry is after what is true and fitting, and I am wholly engaged in this: I lay up, and collect rules which I may be able
    hereafter to bring into use. And lest you should perchance ask under what leader, in what house [of philosophy], I enter myself a pupil: addicted to swear implicitly to the ipse-dixits of no particular master, wherever the weather drives me, I am carried
    a guest. One while I become active, and am plunged in the waves of state affairs, a maintainer and a rigid partisan of strict virtue; then again I relapse insensibly into Aristippus’ maxims, and endeavor to adapt circumstances to myself, not myself to
    circumstances. As the night seems long to those with whom a mistress has broken her appointment, and the day slow to those who owe their labor; as the year moves lazy with minors, whom the harsh guardianship of their mothers confines; so all that time to
    me flows tedious and distasteful, which delays my hope and design of strenuously executing that which is of equal benefit to the poor and to the rich, which neglected will be of equal detriment to young and to old. It remains, that I conduct and comfort
    myself by these principles; your sight is not so piercing as that of Lynceus; you will not however therefore despise being anointed, if you are sore-eyed: nor because you despair of the muscles of the invincible Glycon, will you be careless of preserving
    your body from the knotty gout. There is some point to which we may reach, if we can go no further. Does your heart burn with avarice, and a wretched desire of more? Spells there are, and incantations, with which you may mitigate this pain, and rid
    yourself of a great part of the distemper. Do you swell with the love of praise? There are certain purgations which can restore you, a certain treatise, being perused thrice with purity of mind. The envious, the choleric, the indolent, the slave to wine,
    to women–none is so savage that he can not be tamed, if he will only lend a patient ear to discipline.

It is virtue, to fly vice; and the highest wisdom, to have lived free from folly. You see with what toil of mind and body you avoid those things which you believe to be the greatest evils, a small fortune and a shameful repulse. An active merchant, you
    run to the remotest Indies, fleeing poverty through sea, through rocks, through flames. And will you not learn, and hear, and be advised by one who is wiser, that you may no longer regard those things which you foolishly admire and wish for? What little
    champion of the villages and of the streets would scorn being crowned at the great Olympic games, who had the hopes and happy opportunity of victory without toil? Silver is less valuable than gold, gold than virtue. “O citizens, citizens, money is to
    be sought first; virtue after riches:” this the highest Janus from the lowest inculcates; young men and old repeat these maxims, having their bags and account-books hung on the left arm. You have soul, have breeding, have eloquence and honor: yet if
    six or seven thousand sesterces be wanting to complete your four hundred thousand, you shall be a plebeian. But boys at play cry, “You shall be king, if you will do right.” Let this be a [man’s] brazen wall, to be conscious of no ill, to turn pale
    with no guilt. Tell me, pray is the Roscian law best, or the boy’s song which offers the kingdom to them that do right, sung by the manly Curii and Camilli? Does he advise you best, who says, “Make a fortune; a fortune, if you can, honestly; if not,
    a fortune by any means”–that you may view from a nearer bench the tear-moving poems of Puppius; or he, who still animates and enables you to stand free and upright, a match for haughty fortune?

If now perchance the Roman people should ask me, why I do not enjoy the same sentiments with them, as [I do the same] porticoes, nor pursue or fly from whatever they admire or dislike; I will reply, as the cautious fox once answered the sick lion: “
    Because the foot-marks all looking toward you, and none from you, affright me.” Thou art a monster with many heads. For what shall I follow, or whom? One set of men delight to farm the public revenues: there are some, who would inveigle covetous widows
    with sweet-meats and fruits, and insnare old men, whom they would send [like fish] into their ponds: the fortunes of many grow by concealed usury. But be it, that different men are engaged in different employments and pursuits: can the same persons
    continue an hour together approving the same things? If the man of wealth has said, “No bay in the world outshines delightful Baiae,” the lake and the sea presently feel the eagerness of their impetuous master: to whom, if a vicious humor gives the
    omen, [he will cry,]–”to-morrow, workmen, ye shall convey hence your tools to Teanum.” Has he in his hall the genial bed? He says nothing is preferable to, nothing better than a single life. If he has not, he swears the married only are happy. With
    what noose can I hold this Proteus, varying thus his forms? What does the poor man? Laugh [at him too]: is he not forever changing his garrets, beds, baths, barbers? He is as much surfeited in a hired boat, as the rich man is, whom his own galley conveys.

If I meet you with my hair cut by an uneven barber, you laugh [at me]: if I chance to have a ragged shirt under a handsome coat, or if my disproportioned gown fits me ill, you laugh. What [do you do], when my judgment contradicts itself? it despises
    what it before desired; seeks for that which lately it neglected; is all in a ferment, and is inconsistent in the whole tenor of life; pulls down, builds up, changes square to round. In this case, you think I am mad in the common way, and you do not
    laugh, nor believe that I stand in need of a physician, or of a guardian assigned by the praetor; though you are the patron of my affairs, and are disgusted at the ill-pared nail of a friend that depends upon you, that reveres you.

In a word, the wise man is inferior to Jupiter alone, is rich, free, honorable, handsome, lastly, king of kings; above all, he is sound, unless when phlegm is troublesome..

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)