• plough

From Arthur Neuendorffer@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 9 17:19:42 2021
    --------------------------------------------------
    . . . John Rollett [WR.IOTH.ESLEY] array ..................................................
    . . . . . . . . . <= 18 =>
    . . T H E O . {N} L i[E| . B E G .E. T T E R O. F
    . . T H E S E . {I} n[S| . U I N G .S. O N N E. T
    . . S M R W h a . {L}[L|H] . A P P I {N} E S S. E
    . . A N D t h a t. . [E|T]{e} .R N I T {I} E P. R
    . . O M I S E D . {B}[Y|O]u {r} .E V E R {L} I. V
    . . I N G P O . {E} t W|I]S H {e} .T H T H {E} [W]
    . . E L L W I . .S. h i n g A {d V e} .N T .U. [R] ...............................................
    . . E R I N S . .E. t t i n g .f o r. .T H ...............................................
    . *V(OM)ERE* : *PLOUGHSHARE* (Italian, Latin) ...............................................
    . VOMERE: PLOWSHARE, n. The SHARE of a PLOW,
    . . or that part which cuts the slice of earth
    . . . or sod at the bottom of the furrow. --------------------------------------------------- https://www.greekmythology.com/Myths/Mortals/Palamedes/palamedes.html

<<After Helen had been kidnapped by Paris, the Oath of Tyndareus was invoked, according to which all previous suitors of Helen should defend the couple in any future setback. Odysseus had also taken the oath, but did not want to take part in the war,
    because an oracle had told him it would take him decades to return to his family. Agamemnon sent Palamedes in order to get Odysseus; when he arrived in Ithaca, Odysseus pretended to be insane by plowing salt in his fields. Palamedes realised that this
    was a trick, and put Odysseus' infant son Telemachus in front of the plow. Odysseus, unable to kill his son, revealed his trick and was forced to join the Greek army.

Palamedes was the son of Nauplius and Clymene in Greek mythology. He was one of the participants of the Trojan War on the side of Greece. Odysseus always remembered that it was Palamedes who forced him to participate in the Trojan War. During the war,
    Palamedes told the Greeks to go back home, and Odysseus seized the opportunity to blame him. He set him up by hiding gold in Palamedes' tent, and left a letter that was supposedly written by King Priam of Troy. The Greeks found the letter and condemned
    him to death as a traitor; he was stoned to death by Odysseus and Diomedes. There are other accounts as to how he died; some say that the two men killed him during a fishing expedition, or by putting him in a well that supposedly had treasure and was
    then buried by stones.>> ----------------------------------------------------------------- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palamedes_(mythology)

<<Palamedes (Ancient Greek: Παλαμήδης) was a Euboean prince as the son of King Nauplius in Greek mythology. Palamedes's mother was either Clymene (daughter of King Catreus of Crete), Hesione, or Philyra. He was the brother of Oeax and Nausimedon.
    He joined the rest of the Greeks in the expedition against Troy. Although he is a major character in some accounts of the Trojan War, Palamedes is not mentioned in Homer's Iliad.

After Paris took Helen to Troy, Agamemnon sent Palamedes to Ithaca to retrieve Odysseus, who had promised to defend the marriage of Helen and Menelaus. Odysseus did not want to honor his oath, so he plowed his fields with a donkey and an ox both hitched
    to the same plow, so the beasts of different sizes caused the plow to pull chaotically. Palamedes guessed what was happening and put Odysseus' son, Telemachus, in front of the plow. Odysseus stopped working and revealed his sanity.

Palamedes is credited with several inventions: Pausanias in his Description of Greece (2.20.3) says that in Corinth there is a Temple of Fortune to which Palamedes dedicated the dice that he had invented; Plato in The Republic (Book 7) remarks (through
    the character of Socrates) that Palamedes claimed to have invented numbers; and others note him in connection with the alphabet.

The ancient sources show differences in regards to the details of how Palamedes met his death. Odysseus never forgave Palamedes for ruining his attempt to stay out of the Trojan War. When Palamedes advised the Greeks to return home, Odysseus hid gold in
    his tent and wrote a fake letter purportedly from Priam. The letter was found and the Greeks accused him of being a traitor. Palamedes was stoned to death by the Greek army. According to other accounts, Odysseus and Diomedes warriors drowned him during a
    fishing expedition. Still another version relates that he was lured into a well in search of treasure, and then was crushed by stones.

Ovid discusses Palamedes' role in the Trojan War in the Metamorphoses. Palamedes' fate is described in Virgil's Aeneid. In the Apology, Plato describes Socrates as looking forward to speaking with Palamedes after death, and intimates in the Phaedrus that
    Palamedes authored a work on rhetoric. Euripides and many other dramatists have written dramas about his fate. The orator Gorgias also wrote a Defense of Palamedes, describing the defense speech that Palamedes gave when charged with treason.

Hyginus claims Palamedes created eleven letters of the Greek alphabet: The Fates, Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropo, created seven Greek letters: Α Β Η Τ Ι Υ. Others say that Mercury did it from the flight of cranes which make the shape of letters when
    they fly. However Palamedes the son of Nauplius invented 11 letters.>> -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Art Neuendorffer

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)