• Love's Martyr - Courting the Queen for the Presidency of Wales

From Dennis@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 11 16:52:22 2021
    Gifting/Presenting "Shake-speare" to the Queen

At the time of the publication of Love's Martyr Oxford was angling hard for the Presidency of Wales. I believe he presented to the Queen the greatest thing in his gift: nothing less than literary immortality. Shake-speare, in an elaborate conceit and
    compliment, is the offspring of the marriage of true minds - the literary heir of a Queen and, arguably, her greatest Courtier. The elderly, suspicious and embattled Elizabeth is transfigured and elevated from the subject of poetry to the metaphysical
    role of co-creator. Two bodies are burnt, and one name rises.

Immediately following the Threnos, Marston celebrates the risen creature -the risen name. A transfiguration has occurred. The name William Shake-speare figures prominently on the opposing page. It is, of course, the name of the author of the poem known
    as The Phoenix and Turtle. For Marston, (and myself), it is a metaphysical wonder.

History and Etymology for creature - Merriam Webster

Middle English, borrowed from Anglo-French, borrowed from Late Latin creātūra "act of bringing into being, something brought into being," from Latin creātus, past participle of creāre "to beget, give birth to

Love's Martyr, Chester

Phoenix.

O wilfulnesse, see how with smiling cheare,

My poore deare hart hath flong himselfe to thrall,

Looke what a mirthfull countenance he doth beare,

Spreading his wings abroad, and joyes withall:

Learne thou corrupted world, learne, heare, and see,

Friendships unspotted true sincerity.

I come sweet Turtle, and with my bright wings,

I will embrace thy burnt bones as they lye,

*I hope of these another Creature springs,

That shall possesse both our authority:*

I stay too long, o take me to your glory,

And thus I end the Turtle Doves true story.

Grosart edition ‘Love’s Martyr’

(d)What is the message or motif of these poems? I recall that the original title-page informs us that in Love’s Martyr, or Rosalins Complaint, we have poems “Allegorically shadowing the truth of Love.” I cannot take less out of this than that the
    author believed he was celebrating a ‘true love.’ More than that, I cannot explain away the so prominently-given chief title, of Love’s Martyr, or the subtitle, Rosalin’s Complaint; which so manifestly folds within it Elizabeth, as the ‘Tudor
    Rose' (just as Rosalind in As You Like It, is called ‘my sweet Rose, my dear Rose,’). To me all this means a ‘true love’ that ‘ran not smooth,’ that was defeated or never completed, and that led to such anguish as only the awful word ‘
    martyr’ could express. (snip) (footnote d - p.xlv)

Love's Martyr printed by Richard Field for Edward Blount - 1601

Connections to Wales - Salusbury and King Arthur:

Sir John Salusbury (1567 – 24 July 1612) was a Welsh knight, politician and poet of the Elizabethan era. He is notable for his opposition to the faction of Robert Devereaux, second Earl of Essex, and for his patronage of complex acrostic and
    allegorical poetry that anticipated the Metaphysical Movement

(snip)

Chester's main poem is a long allegory in which the relationship between the birds is explored, and its symbolism articulated. It incorporates the story of King Arthur [note - largely Welsh], and a history of ancient Britain, emphasising Welsh
    etymologies for British towns. It culminates with the joint immolation of the Phoenix and Turtledove, giving birth to a new and more beautiful bird from the ashes. It also includes several allegorical love poems within it, supposed to have been written
    by the Turtledove to the Phoenix. - Wikipedia

Folger Facsimile: (Grosart's edition does not reproduce either the elaborate header and footer that contributes to a 'contained' (Urn-like?) appearance of the Threnos, or the oversized and graceful font selected to present the name William Shake-speare.

Much Ado About Nothing - unfortunately

(To Sir Robert Cecil:)

At this time, I am to try my friends: among which, considering our old acquaintance, familiarity heretofore, & alliance of houses (than which can be no straiter) as of my Brother, I presume especially. Wherefore at this time, *whereas some good fortune (
    if it be backed by friends)* doth in a manner present itself, I most earnestly crave your furtherance so far as the place and favor you hold may admit. And that is, as I conceive: that if her Majesty be willing to confer the Presidency of Wales to me
    that I may assure myself

of your voice in Council rather than a stranger. Not that I desire you should be a mover, but a furtherer; for as the time is, it were not reason. But if it shall please her Majesty in regard of my youth, time & fortune spent in her Court, adding thereto
    her Majesty's favors and promises which drew me on without any mistrust the more to presume in mine own expenses, to confer so good a turn to me that then with your good word, and brotherly friendship, you will encourage her forward, and further it as
    you may. For I know her Majesty is of that princely disposition that they shall not be deceived which put their trust in her, which good office in you I will never forget; and always to my power acknowledge in love & kindness, hoping that, as we be knit
    near in alliance; so hereafter more nearer by good and friendly offices. Thus most earnestly desiring you to have me in friendly remembrance, when time serveth: I take my leave, this 2nd of February. [1601]

"Your assured and loving Brother, Edward Oxeford" (Fowler transcription)

SUMMARY: The document [above] is a letter dated 2 February 1601 from Oxford to Sir Robert Cecil requesting his assistance in obtaining the Presidency of Wales, left vacant by the death on 19 January 1601 of Henry Herbert, 2nd Earl of Pembroke. The Queen
    granted the post to Edward Zouche (1556?-1625), 11th Baron Zouche of Harringworth. He was appointed Lord President of Wales in June 1602; four months later John Chamberlain wrote that, ‘Lord Zouche *plays rex* in Wales with both council and justices,
    and with the poor Welshmen’. He remained Lord President until 13 July 1615, when he was made Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports. See the DNB entry for Edward Zouche. (comment by Nina Green)

"My very good Brother, I have received by Henry Lo(c)ke your most kind message, which I so effectually embrace, that what for the old love I have borne you, which I assure you was very great, what for the alliance which is between us, which is tied so
    fast by my children of your own sister, what for mine own disposition to yourself, which hath been rooted by long and many familiarities of a more youthful time, there could have been nothing so dearly welcome unto me. Wherefore not as a stranger but in
    the old style, I do assure you that you shall have no faster friend & well-wisher unto you than myself, either in kindness, which I find beyond mine expectation in you; or in kindred, whereby none is nearer allied than myself, since of your sisters, of
    my wife only you have received Nieces. A sister I say not by any venter, but born of the same father and the same mother of yourself. I will say no more, for words in faithful minds are tedious, only this I protest, you shall do me wrong, and yourself
    greater, if either through fables, which are mischievous, or conceit, which is dangerous, you think otherwise of me than humanity, and consanguinity requireth. I desired Henry Lo(c)ke to speak unto you, for that I cannot so well urge mine own business to
    her M(ajes)ty that you would do me the favour, when these troublesome times give opportunity to her Magesty to think of the disposition of the President of Wales that I may understand it by you, lest neglecting through ignorance the time, by mishap I may
    lose the suit; *for as I have understood, and by good reason conceived I am not to use any friend to move it, so myself having moved it, and received good hope*, I fear nothing but through ignorance when to prosecute it lest I should lose the benefit of
    her good disposition on which I only depend.

Your most assured & loving Brother, as ever in mine own affection, in all kindness and kindred,

EDWARD OXENFORD

(Fowler)

Loves Martyr - Chester

(snip)

Phoenix:

Why now my heart is light, this very doome

Hath banisht sorrow from pensive breast:

And in a manner sacrificingly,

*Burne both our bodies to revive one name*:

And in all humblenesse we will intreate

The hot earth parching Sunne to lend his heate.

(note – Phoenix calls upon Apollo to kindle the wood)

Phoenix:

O holy, sacred, and pure perfect fire,

More pure then that ore which faire Dido mones,

More sacred in my loving kind desire,

Then that which burnt old Esons aged bones,

*Accept into your ever hallowed flame,

Two bodies, from the which may spring one name.*

Turtle.

O sweet perfumed flame, made of those trees,

Under the which the *Muses nine* have song

The praises of vertuous maids in misteries,

To whom the faire fac’d Nymphes did often throng;

Accept my body as a *SACRIFICE*

Into your flame, *of whom one name may rise.*

*something given up

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From marc hanson@21:1/5 to Dennis on Sat Aug 21 05:56:48 2021
    On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 7:52:23 PM UTC-4, Dennis wrote:
    Gifting/Presenting "Shake-speare" to the Queen

At the time of the publication of Love's Martyr Oxford was angling hard for the Presidency of Wales. I believe he presented to the Queen the greatest thing in his gift: nothing less than literary immortality. Shake-speare, in an elaborate conceit and
    compliment, is the offspring of the marriage of true minds - the literary heir of a Queen and, arguably, her greatest Courtier. The elderly, suspicious and embattled Elizabeth is transfigured and elevated from the subject of poetry to the metaphysical
    role of co-creator. Two bodies are burnt, and one name rises.

Immediately following the Threnos, Marston celebrates the risen creature -the risen name. A transfiguration has occurred. The name William Shake-speare figures prominently on the opposing page. It is, of course, the name of the author of the poem known
    as The Phoenix and Turtle. For Marston, (and myself), it is a metaphysical wonder.

History and Etymology for creature - Merriam Webster

Middle English, borrowed from Anglo-French, borrowed from Late Latin creātūra "act of bringing into being, something brought into being," from Latin creātus, past participle of creāre "to beget, give birth to

Love's Martyr, Chester

Phoenix.

O wilfulnesse, see how with smiling cheare,

My poore deare hart hath flong himselfe to thrall,

Looke what a mirthfull countenance he doth beare,

Spreading his wings abroad, and joyes withall:

Learne thou corrupted world, learne, heare, and see,

Friendships unspotted true sincerity.

I come sweet Turtle, and with my bright wings,

I will embrace thy burnt bones as they lye,

*I hope of these another Creature springs,

That shall possesse both our authority:*

I stay too long, o take me to your glory,

And thus I end the Turtle Doves true story.

Grosart edition ‘Love’s Martyr’

(d)What is the message or motif of these poems? I recall that the original title-page informs us that in Love’s Martyr, or Rosalins Complaint, we have poems “Allegorically shadowing the truth of Love.” I cannot take less out of this than that the
    author believed he was celebrating a ‘true love.’ More than that, I cannot explain away the so prominently-given chief title, of Love’s Martyr, or the subtitle, Rosalin’s Complaint; which so manifestly folds within it Elizabeth, as the ‘Tudor
    Rose' (just as Rosalind in As You Like It, is called ‘my sweet Rose, my dear Rose,’). To me all this means a ‘true love’ that ‘ran not smooth,’ that was defeated or never completed, and that led to such anguish as only the awful word ‘
    martyr’ could express. (snip) (footnote d - p.xlv)

Love's Martyr printed by Richard Field for Edward Blount - 1601

Connections to Wales - Salusbury and King Arthur:

Sir John Salusbury (1567 – 24 July 1612) was a Welsh knight, politician and poet of the Elizabethan era. He is notable for his opposition to the faction of Robert Devereaux, second Earl of Essex, and for his patronage of complex acrostic and
    allegorical poetry that anticipated the Metaphysical Movement

(snip)

Chester's main poem is a long allegory in which the relationship between the birds is explored, and its symbolism articulated. It incorporates the story of King Arthur [note - largely Welsh], and a history of ancient Britain, emphasising Welsh
    etymologies for British towns. It culminates with the joint immolation of the Phoenix and Turtledove, giving birth to a new and more beautiful bird from the ashes. It also includes several allegorical love poems within it, supposed to have been written
    by the Turtledove to the Phoenix. - Wikipedia

Folger Facsimile: (Grosart's edition does not reproduce either the elaborate header and footer that contributes to a 'contained' (Urn-like?) appearance of the Threnos, or the oversized and graceful font selected to present the name William Shake-speare.

Much Ado About Nothing - unfortunately

At this time, I am to try my friends: among which, considering our old acquaintance, familiarity heretofore, & alliance of houses (than which can be no straiter) as of my Brother, I presume especially. Wherefore at this time, *whereas some good fortune
    (if it be backed by friends)* doth in a manner present itself, I most earnestly crave your furtherance so far as the place and favor you hold may admit. And that is, as I conceive: that if her Majesty be willing to confer the Presidency of Wales to me
    that I may assure myself

of your voice in Council rather than a stranger. Not that I desire you should be a mover, but a furtherer; for as the time is, it were not reason. But if it shall please her Majesty in regard of my youth, time & fortune spent in her Court, adding
    thereto her Majesty's favors and promises which drew me on without any mistrust the more to presume in mine own expenses, to confer so good a turn to me that then with your good word, and brotherly friendship, you will encourage her forward, and further
    it as you may. For I know her Majesty is of that princely disposition that they shall not be deceived which put their trust in her, which good office in you I will never forget; and always to my power acknowledge in love & kindness, hoping that, as we be
    knit near in alliance; so hereafter more nearer by good and friendly offices. Thus most earnestly desiring you to have me in friendly remembrance, when time serveth: I take my leave, this 2nd of February. [1601]

"Your assured and loving Brother, Edward Oxeford" (Fowler transcription)

SUMMARY: The document [above] is a letter dated 2 February 1601 from Oxford to Sir Robert Cecil requesting his assistance in obtaining the Presidency of Wales, left vacant by the death on 19 January 1601 of Henry Herbert, 2nd Earl of Pembroke. The
    Queen granted the post to Edward Zouche (1556?-1625), 11th Baron Zouche of Harringworth. He was appointed Lord President of Wales in June 1602; four months later John Chamberlain wrote that, ‘Lord Zouche *plays rex* in Wales with both council and
    justices, and with the poor Welshmen’. He remained Lord President until 13 July 1615, when he was made Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports. See the DNB entry for Edward Zouche. (comment by Nina Green)

"My very good Brother, I have received by Henry Lo(c)ke your most kind message, which I so effectually embrace, that what for the old love I have borne you, which I assure you was very great, what for the alliance which is between us, which is tied so
    fast by my children of your own sister, what for mine own disposition to yourself, which hath been rooted by long and many familiarities of a more youthful time, there could have been nothing so dearly welcome unto me. Wherefore not as a stranger but in
    the old style, I do assure you that you shall have no faster friend & well-wisher unto you than myself, either in kindness, which I find beyond mine expectation in you; or in kindred, whereby none is nearer allied than myself, since of your sisters, of
    my wife only you have received Nieces. A sister I say not by any venter, but born of the same father and the same mother of yourself. I will say no more, for words in faithful minds are tedious, only this I protest, you shall do me wrong, and yourself
    greater, if either through fables, which are mischievous, or conceit, which is dangerous, you think otherwise of me than humanity, and consanguinity requireth. I desired Henry Lo(c)ke to speak unto you, for that I cannot so well urge mine own business to
    her M(ajes)ty that you would do me the favour, when these troublesome times give opportunity to her Magesty to think of the disposition of the President of Wales that I may understand it by you, lest neglecting through ignorance the time, by mishap I may
    lose the suit; *for as I have understood, and by good reason conceived I am not to use any friend to move it, so myself having moved it, and received good hope*, I fear nothing but through ignorance when to prosecute it lest I should lose the benefit of
    her good disposition on which I only depend.

Your most assured & loving Brother, as ever in mine own affection, in all kindness and kindred,

EDWARD OXENFORD

(Fowler)

Loves Martyr - Chester

(snip)

Phoenix:

Why now my heart is light, this very doome

Hath banisht sorrow from pensive breast:

And in a manner sacrificingly,

*Burne both our bodies to revive one name*:

And in all humblenesse we will intreate

The hot earth parching Sunne to lend his heate.

(note – Phoenix calls upon Apollo to kindle the wood)

Phoenix:

O holy, sacred, and pure perfect fire,

More pure then that ore which faire Dido mones,

More sacred in my loving kind desire,

Then that which burnt old Esons aged bones,

*Accept into your ever hallowed flame,

Two bodies, from the which may spring one name.*

Turtle.

O sweet perfumed flame, made of those trees,

Under the which the *Muses nine* have song

The praises of vertuous maids in misteries,

To whom the faire fac’d Nymphes did often throng;

Accept my body as a *SACRIFICE*

Into your flame, *of whom one name may rise.*

*something given up.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)