• Lizst's Symphonic Poems

From C.Z.@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 17 09:52:35 2021
    It has been many years that I've listened to Wagner, yet I'm just getting around to listening to Liszt's Symphonic Poems. What a surprise to find that many of Wagner's dramatic-musical effects were pioneered by Liszt. Indeed, in many ways these works are
    like operas, or if you will, music dramas, without words.

And although Les Preludes is the most famous of these, and perhaps the best, there is plenty more to enjoy here.

The Master at Bayreuth was careful to abjure his assistants to not give too much credit to these works as precursors to his own achievements. I now see why.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From C.Z.@21:1/5 to C.Z. on Wed Mar 17 10:21:09 2021
    On Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 12:52:36 PM UTC-4, C.Z. wrote:
    It has been many years that I've listened to Wagner, yet I'm just getting around to listening to Liszt's Symphonic Poems. What a surprise to find that many of Wagner's dramatic-musical effects were pioneered by Liszt. Indeed, in many ways these works
    are like operas, or if you will, music dramas, without words.

And although Les Preludes is the most famous of these, and perhaps the best, there is plenty more to enjoy here.

The Master at Bayreuth was careful to abjure his assistants to not give too much credit to these works as precursors to his own achievements. I now see why.

In the above post, I should have referred also to the influence Lizst's harmony had on Wagner's.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)