• Wagnerian urban legend

From Bert Coules@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 7 17:52:22 2020
    Two days ago, someone told me the Lohengrin "What time is the next swan?"
    story as absolute fact: a friend of his was there when it happened...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From deb@21:1/5 to Bert Coules on Tue Dec 8 05:11:02 2020
    On Monday, 7 December 2020 at 17:52:22 UTC, Bert Coules wrote:
    Two days ago, someone told me the Lohengrin "What time is the next swan?" story as absolute fact: a friend of his was there when it happened...
    Yes, I believe it is absolutely true, and was the /bon mot/ of the great tenor Leo Slezak. It's even funnier in German, as train and tram timetables tell travellers 'wann faehrt die naechste Bahn' and the rhyme with 'Schwann' makes it a pun as well as a
    witticism.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bert Coules@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 8 17:41:47 2020
    Deb, thanks for that. The problem I have with the story is this: I can
    imagine a witty tenor coming out with the line full-pelt at a rehearsal, and
    I can picture him whispering it to a nearby chorus member in performance.
    But the standard version of the tale has Lohengrin *turning to the audience* and asking his question - and that I find very hard indeed to swallow.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman van der Woude@21:1/5 to Bert Coules on Tue Dec 8 21:48:09 2020
    Bert Coules schreef op 8-12-2020 het volgende:
    Bert Coules wrote on 8-12-2020 as follows:

Deb, thanks for that. The problem I have with the story is this: I can imagine a witty tenor coming out with the line full-pelt at a rehearsal, and I can picture him whispering it to a nearby chorus member in performance. But the standard version of the tale has Lohengrin *turning to the audience* and asking his question - and that I find very hard indeed to swallow.

I think Deb is right. I heard that story too, years and years ago. I
    believe it to be typical singers inside story, where the swan not only
    stands for Lohengrin, but you can actually understand as: when will be
    the next staging of Lohengrin, and where? And it sounds witty in
    German.

Similar to that is the story of a famous Dutch female singer, Aafje
    Heynis, particularly famous for singing in Bach's Matthew Passion, who
    almost almost always after the performance said, "Well, he hangs
    again!" Sounds cynical, but it is an inside joke.

--
    Met vriendelijke groet,
    Cheers,
    Herman van der Woude

--
    Deze e-mail is gecontroleerd op virussen door AVG.
    http://www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger3282@21:1/5 to Herman van der Woude on Wed Dec 9 09:58:52 2020
    On Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 9:48:11 AM UTC+13, Herman van der Woude wrote:
    I think Deb is right. I heard that story too, years and years ago. I
    believe it to be typical singers inside story, where the swan not only stands for Lohengrin, but you can actually understand as: when will be
    German.

--
    Met vriendelijke groet,
    Cheers,
    Herman van der Woude

The story is as true as any other. The tenor was Leo Slezak, 1873-1946, an Austrian. If you can find a copy of his autobiography, published in 1938 in English as "Song of Motley: Being the Reminiscences of a Hungry Tenor", you can probably read his
    version of events. His son was the actor Walter Slezak, 1902-1983, and Walter's autobiography is titled "What time's the next Swan?" It seems odd to title your autobiography after an incident in your father's life, but there you are.

Enjoy your pandemic Christmas,
    Roger Cruickshank

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From REP@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 26 18:10:06 2020
    On Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 9:58:53 AM UTC-8, Roger3282 wrote:
    On Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 9:48:11 AM UTC+13, Herman van der Woude wrote:
    I think Deb is right. I heard that story too, years and years ago. I believe it to be typical singers inside story, where the swan not only stands for Lohengrin, but you can actually understand as: when will be
    German.

--
    Met vriendelijke groet,
    Cheers,
    Herman van der Woude
    The story is as true as any other. The tenor was Leo Slezak, 1873-1946, an Austrian. If you can find a copy of his autobiography, published in 1938 in English as "Song of Motley: Being the Reminiscences of a Hungry Tenor", you can probably read his
    version of events. His son was the actor Walter Slezak, 1902-1983, and Walter's autobiography is titled "What time's the next Swan?" It seems odd to title your autobiography after an incident in your father's life, but there you are.

Enjoy your pandemic Christmas,
    Roger Cruickshank

Not what I would call an urban legend then. Though I doubt anyone alive today was around to see it. Slezak's autobiography was published in 1938, and the incident likely happened years earlier.

REP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05