• Order in which requests are processed

From Sam@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 29 21:56:10 2018
    This is a MIME GnuPG-signed message. If you see this text, it means that
    your E-mail or Usenet software does not support MIME signed messages.
    The Internet standard for MIME PGP messages, RFC 2015, was published in 1996. To open this message correctly you will need to install E-mail or Usenet software that supports modern Internet standards.

Scanning through
    https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/xproto/x11protocol.html I can't seem
    to find anything that seems to require the server to always send responses
    to requests in the order they were received, and process requests in the
    order they were received.

Example: let's say the server receives a bunch of requests. All kinds of requests, dealing with graphic contexts, pixmaps. Some RENDER extension requests. And the very last request is an InternAtom request.

None of the preceding requests can possibly affect the InternAtom request
    (no other, prior, InternAtom requests). Does the protocol allow the server
    to send a response to this InternAtom request before sending any response to
    a prior requests that requires a response; and/or before processing any
    prior request that does not require a response?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIcBAABAgAGBQJb17o6AAoJEGs6Yr4nnb8ldycP/A5cIVqsIbjy9h2RzrL+QdSt E09DNuigI8PZJX2iJDaOVFes2eIrVWUl8LWEeG6E8aY2f8sG6dp4GqMCBndCT3uR rA7yoazjoT5nI/wMyMuATgNJX+78+J+vMs8lsyqO2byeMekbavdpddLuWDdZ6UtG EQTkfkzRGjYRmcQO7a2mQq9p8fwfGVWNZcOjE/0BUoNHgiHMxFXR7nFwg2DCtfwU j8y6MmpfT3MsgHvtY8ERp6xu6Hm8PSp8SbuocggkzW6gUm9Kx/2yF4X4TIyRKu8B VZfh4TGYOCjxiN0PnbZu46RSl5YDcTlVDKrydC1DsXJ9B7KSh74nMBvNOSQwqhtL KGqn2q5hWuiYzl6FsH5w6GYV/qWDN3/HN6y3eW9JxtNyv3NQLv1O6bZBXozrii5j YTmitcIOHIW7hGRpi3r9bCjPPWNy9BnxLLyvbEoX5rrTX+xs6PbW627TQ4/SUSNt xFHw9DOB3MTSM40xl8TTO1Yw67iUvWX0c7th0jvXMcJ8lc2JY17fVw0fko0j4PRg CTsJhxGxmdC+g5pdGE61dNW24kdV27Y+6EY4+5dHYCOYo1/4Cqzc/qCcysAq6WlC O48g0TWfQWrYFGsX04zbJIgLkn0nwQ+H3o8qmRO45euHiGPwAmnO5HpoDkXYU02A ud0Z/IXB8vubpO6zrmhz
    =66s2
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Julian Bradfield@21:1/5 to Sam on Tue Oct 30 11:57:04 2018
    On 2018-10-30, Sam <sam@email-scan.com> wrote:
    Scanning through https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/xproto/x11protocol.html I can't seem to find anything that seems to require the server to always send responses
    to requests in the order they were received, and process requests in the order they were received.

Interesting point. I agree with you - and I can't see any reason why
    it should be required, apart from the difficulty of working out when
    one can do this.
    Whether client libraries/programs are written to cope with it is
    another matter.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sam@21:1/5 to Julian Bradfield on Tue Oct 30 20:17:02 2018
    This is a MIME GnuPG-signed message. If you see this text, it means that
    your E-mail or Usenet software does not support MIME signed messages.
    The Internet standard for MIME PGP messages, RFC 2015, was published in 1996. To open this message correctly you will need to install E-mail or Usenet software that supports modern Internet standards.

Julian Bradfield writes:

On 2018-10-30, Sam <sam@email-scan.com> wrote:
    Scanning through https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/xproto/x11protocol.html I can't seem to find anything that seems to require the server to always send responses to requests in the order they were received, and process requests in the order they were received.

Interesting point. I agree with you - and I can't see any reason why
    it should be required, apart from the difficulty of working out when
    one can do this.
    Whether client libraries/programs are written to cope with it is
    another matter.

If it's not required, then some kind of a round-trip ping is needed. The NoOperation request is a one-way trip only, and is not sufficient.

Currently, I am abusing the InternAtom request for this, to know when the server processed all requests that preceded it. This is how I arrived at
    this conundrum.

I am intentionally using a sub-optimal environment, where the client and the server are across a network that includes a wireless AP. This is to make suboptimal drawing algorithms be more visible.

I can process MotionNotify events as fast as they come in, generating a pile
    of X and RENDER requests as a result. But with a couple of hops across the network, it's surprising how many X and RENDER requests can fill up in the intermediate network buffers, before the server goes through them; which (especially RENDER composition) create a lot of work for the server. My
    display was noticably lagging behind the pointer, as much as 2-3 seconds,
    even though my client was doing nothing, waiting to receive the next event.

I fixed this by sending an InternAtom just before flushing out all my work,
    and then waiting for the response to the InternAtom, which arrives only
    after the server dealt with my preceding requests. Once the InternAtom
    response was received, with anything that came before it getting held in
    /my/ queue, the existing logic that I already had in place dealt with all
    the queued up MotionNotify events, only processing the last one. No more apparent visual lag.

This trick will only work as long as the server processes all requests serially. If someone gets the bright idea to optimize responses out of sequence, where possible, this will defeat this workaround. The server seems
    to already be capable of throwing me MotionNotify events while it's chewing away at the request backlog.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIcBAABAgAGBQJb2PR+AAoJEGs6Yr4nnb8lWuUQAMImV+uxYGWF3dFUn3zbKbBC cQuDYCp2vxB8h4rx4dqB8CMWq+Ok7ZQP5Q8Ihvlx4qyRqkRz1xGZ2jQDr8uME22U vBOB+c15OECRQz0CWVkqJFJnyoYagWbnEoRXu6BdiW1EcYJG2xP7GPFj+pQp3dI0 j/fZL1ZKiwdZFlJaA8oKJ+GbbmXl/0q/BoLVRn/HRJS/tmfmle7Fj1fIuMUhVcBx JbHTOIuDSuNEP9XMzatuJhAT4VE5RVlyl9lfJKdlwzdVqfjZdSdqlx5pfpa532Ds o2USaKgGSSkG+ge66HpaJtrQPBHuIeL2fhKURh2npPGAJOD8b4BWsipGQM04gwxw C+96ZKYxmbRYVQzkJX/HxstwgAhmPis1zRdnKHw6GTKI0QfJvJYNjbl1dKiSS365 8LhoyX8HcYamIy2bYxoWrn3GY7StIhJ7AbdYtMzLr4z4F4b6ZStZSD2jZdMhMjX1 Axgl1PuzSnUgDbUnyaoYkHZkN0BpM8J0nM1TEG8dFIgOWlSNvbPe8a06cPkBYjyw Jns7bwDGaHI5bvjZOa+ASLV3zWKFc3BJHdwmcXIDcM+rmYe1iLBpQbanmZ07xpRr DPzelxKE0EGFph9xGo0fjIDPd2xeHkYZuouO5TBUNMLI9UmQFG4ltsGEeOzxS/Hz bcyLXSYPmTG30Wln2cBJ
    =80Bp
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Julian Bradfield@21:1/5 to Sam on Wed Oct 31 11:21:19 2018
    On 2018-10-31, Sam <sam@email-scan.com> wrote:
    This trick will only work as long as the server processes all requests serially. If someone gets the bright idea to optimize responses out of sequence, where possible, this will defeat this workaround. The server seems to already be capable of throwing me MotionNotify events while it's chewing away at the request backlog.

That seems reasonable, because user-generated events are genuinely
    asynchronous with respect to your request stream, and the natural
    thing to do is to process them independently of the request
    stream. But your request stream does have a linear order on it as part
    of the protocol, and so it would be an active decision to try to
    process its elements with asynchronous replies.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05