• Printing Problems

From TeamHog@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 10 09:29:27 2020
    I've got a few, ~10, SCO 5.07 servers that have been running for 15 years.
    In the last few weeks I've got a server that will no longer print to the HPNP configured network printers. There are no local printers to use.
    I've cleared the que; I've stopped and started the print services. I've setup/installed new printers and the print job won't update to show them.

I can ping the printers just fine and the IT Admin's can telnet into the printers and see that nothing is updating to the printers.

Any ideas on how to reset everything back to normal.
    Like an un-install and setup of the entire printer system?
    Or any other tasks I can try?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From ron_ltl@21:1/5 to TeamHog on Sun Jul 12 09:23:14 2020
    Not sure what you mean by HPNP but if it's got anything to do with using printer names, change them to network printers using their LAN IP addresses and make sure they are fixed IP. That automatic figure it our stuff is great until it doesn't work!

n Friday, 10 July 2020 12:29:28 UTC-4, TeamHog wrote:
    In the last few weeks I've got a server that will no longer print to the HPNP configured network printers. There are no local printers to use.
    I've cleared the que; I've stopped and started the print services. I've setup/installed new printers and the print job won't update to show them.

I can ping the printers just fine and the IT Admin's can telnet into the printers and see that nothing is updating to the printers.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ron_ltl@21:1/5 to TeamHog on Sun Jul 12 09:20:25 2020
    On Friday, 10 July 2020 12:29:28 UTC-4, TeamHog wrote:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mbennett@21:1/5 to TeamHog on Sun Jul 12 14:23:20 2020
    On Friday, July 10, 2020 at 11:29:28 AM UTC-5, TeamHog wrote:

I've used the HP network printing and it's pretty twitchy. You might check permissions in the /usr/spool tree.

I would suggest you drop it and use netcat instead, which has its own challenges but I think is more reliable. I support very few of these systems now, but you can find some instructions here:
    https://www.aplawrence.com/FAQ_scotec7getnetcat.html

I also have notes, but the ones on this page should be enough. All you want is a printer on the spooler with a name, and this will get you there. Good luck, Mark.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05