• Just saying hi

From SocalIT@21:1/5 to Lawrence on Thu Aug 13 00:57:34 2015
    On Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 2:51:30 AM UTC-7, Tony Lawrence wrote:
    It's been a long, long time since I've posted here..

I was reminded of this yesterday because I had to go fix an old 5.0.4 system that had lost its inittab. I tend to turn down most SCO stuff nowadays (especially anything pre 5.0.6), but this was an old customer from the 90's or maybe even earlier so I
    sighed and went in. Rebuilt inittab, nothing else wrong, customer much relieved, but running on an ancient, very dusty Gateway.. amazing the poor thing is still running. I warned them that they will lose it sooner rather than later. They've already
    switched to a Windows system; the old SCO is just for historical data, so they aren't too concerned.

Almost all of my old SCO customers have switched to Linux or Windows. I still keep the thousands of old SCO troubleshooting and help articles up at http://aplawrence.com, but the traffic has declined for rather obvious reasons :-)

Every time I do a job like yesterday's I think "This could be the last time I ever touch a SCO system".

Nowadays I mostly do mail servers and firewalls.. mostly Linux based, of course..

Just saying hi to anyone still here from the old days.

Tony Lawrence

I was reminded of this yesterday because I had to go fix an old 5.0.4 system that had lost its inittab. I tend to turn down most SCO stuff nowadays (especially anything pre 5.0.6), but this was an old customer from the 90's or maybe even earlier so I
    sighed and went in. Rebuilt inittab, nothing else wrong, customer much relieved, but running on an ancient, very dusty Gateway.. amazing the poor thing is still running. I warned them that they will lose it sooner rather than later. They've already
    switched to a Windows system; the old SCO is just for historical data, so they aren't too concerned.

Almost all of my old SCO customers have switched to Linux or Windows. I still keep the thousands of old SCO troubleshooting and help articles up at http://aplawrence.com, but the traffic has declined for rather obvious reasons :-)

Every time I do a job like yesterday's I think "This could be the last time I ever touch a SCO system".

Nowadays I mostly do mail servers and firewalls.. mostly Linux based, of course..

Tony Lawrence

Tony Lawrence

Hi Tony, thanks for all the assists via your website over the years.

Down here in Southern California, still have about 10 active Medical, Transportation, Pawn Shop (filepro), and other misc client systems running.

As much as you push clients to migrate to linux (for the character based stuff), etc. some never bite. Most are virtual nowadays, but a few on Physical IBM or HP G4/5/6 hardware (luckily parts are plentiful and cheap).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)