• command line json manipulation tools

    From Sivaram Neelakantan@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 24 20:05:02 2021
    A bit offtopic, apart from jq, are there any other JSON utilities that
    are good and that you personally find useful? Something that's useful
    from the commandline and can be piped to/out?

    sivaram
    --

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Kenny McCormack@21:1/5 to nsivaram.net@gmail.com on Sun Oct 24 15:09:05 2021
    In article <851r4aij8p.fsf@gmail.com>,
    Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> wrote:

    A bit offtopic, apart from jq, are there any other JSON utilities that
    are good and that you personally find useful? Something that's useful
    from the commandline and can be piped to/out?

    I think you need to explain why you don't like or can't use jq.

    --
    In the corner of the room on the ceiling is a large vampire bat who
    is obviously deranged and holding his nose.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Sivaram Neelakantan@21:1/5 to Kenny McCormack on Mon Oct 25 13:29:43 2021
    On Sun, Oct 24 2021,Kenny McCormack wrote:

    In article <851r4aij8p.fsf@gmail.com>,
    Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> wrote:

    A bit offtopic, apart from jq, are there any other JSON utilities that
    are good and that you personally find useful? Something that's useful
    from the commandline and can be piped to/out?

    I think you need to explain why you don't like or can't use jq.

    I didn't say anything of that sort.

    I asked if there are others. In this context, I was aware
    of jq and was asking for any other that people use.

    sivaram
    --

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Kenny McCormack@21:1/5 to oguzismailuysal@gmail.com on Mon Oct 25 09:46:25 2021
    In article <07df88bd-b46f-4239-86cb-dcd94cf99c68n@googlegroups.com>,
    O uz <oguzismailuysal@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 5:35:06 PM UTC+3, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
    A bit offtopic, apart from jq, are there any other JSON utilities that
    are good and that you personally find useful? Something that's useful
    from the commandline and can be piped to/out?

    sivaram
    --
    There is jtc:
    https://github.com/ldn-softdev/jtc

    But I never tried it.

    One of OP's requirements was "... and that you personally find useful ...".

    So this doesn't qualify.

    --
    No, I haven't, that's why I'm asking questions. If you won't help me,
    why don't you just go find your lost manhood elsewhere.

    CLC in a nutshell.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From =?UTF-8?B?T8SfdXo=?=@21:1/5 to Sivaram Neelakantan on Mon Oct 25 02:42:48 2021
    On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 5:35:06 PM UTC+3, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
    A bit offtopic, apart from jq, are there any other JSON utilities that
    are good and that you personally find useful? Something that's useful
    from the commandline and can be piped to/out?

    sivaram
    --
    There is jtc:
    https://github.com/ldn-softdev/jtc

    But I never tried it.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Kenny McCormack@21:1/5 to nsivaram.net@gmail.com on Mon Oct 25 09:36:58 2021
    In article <85wnm1h6vk.fsf@gmail.com>,
    Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Sun, Oct 24 2021,Kenny McCormack wrote:

    In article <851r4aij8p.fsf@gmail.com>,
    Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> wrote:

    A bit offtopic, apart from jq, are there any other JSON utilities that >>>are good and that you personally find useful? Something that's useful >>>from the commandline and can be piped to/out?

    I think you need to explain why you don't like or can't use jq.

    I didn't say anything of that sort.

    I asked if there are others. In this context, I was aware
    of jq and was asking for any other that people use.

    And I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Still, both of the following are true:

    1) This sort of post (almost) always contains an implication of "There's
    something wrong with X; what should I use instead?" Because, if
    there weren't something wrong with X, the obvious answer would be
    "Use X".

    I'm not saying that this is 100%, of course, but it is the usual
    implication, and people are right to draw it unless/until you
    explain otherwise.

    2) Knowing why you don't want to use jq, would help us greatly in
    figuring out what you are actually looking for and what your actual
    requirements are.

    Or, this could all just be an academic exercise (maybe for a university
    class) where what you want is just a list of jq-like programs. If so, then Google could probably provide it quite easily.

    Mind you, I am a long-time (though not very deep) user of jq, and I've
    found that it does the job. I have no other connection with, nor any deep
    love of, the program, other than as a reasonably satisfied user.

    --
    I love the poorly educated.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From =?UTF-8?B?T8SfdXo=?=@21:1/5 to Kenny McCormack on Mon Oct 25 03:17:37 2021
    On Monday, October 25, 2021 at 12:46:30 PM UTC+3, Kenny McCormack wrote:
    In article <07df88bd-b46f-4239...@googlegroups.com>,
    O uz <oguzism...@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 5:35:06 PM UTC+3, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote: >> A bit offtopic, apart from jq, are there any other JSON utilities that
    are good and that you personally find useful? Something that's useful
    from the commandline and can be piped to/out?

    sivaram
    --
    There is jtc:
    https://github.com/ldn-softdev/jtc

    But I never tried it.
    One of OP's requirements was "... and that you personally find useful ...".

    So this doesn't qualify.

    Man, don't you have anything better to do with your life?


    --
    No, I haven't, that's why I'm asking questions. If you won't help me,
    why don't you just go find your lost manhood elsewhere.

    CLC in a nutshell.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Sivaram Neelakantan@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 25 17:32:40 2021
    On Mon, Oct 25 2021,O─čuz wrote:

    On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 5:35:06 PM UTC+3, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
    A bit offtopic, apart from jq, are there any other JSON utilities that
    are good and that you personally find useful? Something that's useful
    from the commandline and can be piped to/out?

    sivaram
    --
    There is jtc:
    https://github.com/ldn-softdev/jtc

    But I never tried it.

    Thank you. I'll check it out though I don't want want to be the only
    person using it.

    sivaram
    --

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Sivaram Neelakantan@21:1/5 to Kenny McCormack on Mon Oct 25 17:30:17 2021
    On Mon, Oct 25 2021,Kenny McCormack wrote:


    [snipped 18 lines]

    And I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Still, both of the following are true:

    1) This sort of post (almost) always contains an implication of "There's
    something wrong with X; what should I use instead?" Because, if
    there weren't something wrong with X, the obvious answer would be
    "Use X".

    I'm not saying that this is 100%, of course, but it is the usual
    implication, and people are right to draw it unless/until you
    explain otherwise.

    2) Knowing why you don't want to use jq, would help us greatly in
    figuring out what you are actually looking for and what your actual
    requirements are.

    Or, this could all just be an academic exercise (maybe for a university class) where what you want is just a list of jq-like programs. If so, then Google could probably provide it quite easily.

    Thank you but none of the above hypothesis of yours about *why* I
    asked is true. Since you insist on remote mind reading, I'll humour
    you with my explanation. I learnt a bit of shell from the 1984 UPE
    Kernighan and Pike from a dog eared hand-me-down copy. And I haven't
    used any other tools other than what come out of the box in most Oses
    with what was described in the book. That usually means, I generally
    miss out on some really good tools till quite late, though google does
    help these days. In that spirit, given the woolly headed data formats
    like json, xml, niche tools seemed to have been developed while I seem
    to be writing longer and longer buggy shell scripts to pull out data
    from them badly reinventing features of these tools.

    I just want to get my work done.

    Mind you, I am a long-time (though not very deep) user of jq, and I've
    found that it does the job.

    I have no other connection with, nor any deep love of, the program,
    other than as a reasonably satisfied user.

    As do others including me. I'm not wedded to any of the programs, OS,
    PC, laptop, usenet, comp.unix.shell specifically included. Quite why
    this statement needs to be put out to get an answer beats me. I
    prolly should get my vaccine certificate too just so there's no
    infection of comp.unix.shell? :-)

    sivaram
    --

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Espen@21:1/5 to Sivaram Neelakantan on Mon Oct 25 10:54:48 2021
    Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

    A bit offtopic, apart from jq, are there any other JSON utilities that
    are good and that you personally find useful? Something that's useful
    from the commandline and can be piped to/out?

    Also a bit off topic, but when I want to process json, python with it's excellent json processing stuff is my weapon of choice.

    --
    Dan Espen

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Kaz Kylheku@21:1/5 to Sivaram Neelakantan on Mon Oct 25 16:02:58 2021
    On 2021-10-25, Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> wrote:
    Thank you but none of the above hypothesis of yours about *why* I
    asked is true.

    Kennys (2) isn't a hypothesis and quite true; your explanation is helpful.

    There is a difference between:

    - I'm dissatisfied with jq and looking for alternatives.

    versus:

    - I'm evaluating as many tools as I can get my hands on for manipulating
    JSON in a shell scriting environment. I already know about jq; can you
    inform me about any others?"

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Percival John Hackworth@21:1/5 to nsivaram.net@gmail.com on Mon Oct 25 16:35:16 2021
    On 24-Oct-2021 at 7:35:02AM PDT, "Sivaram Neelakantan"
    <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> wrote:


    A bit offtopic, apart from jq, are there any other JSON utilities that
    are good and that you personally find useful? Something that's useful
    from the commandline and can be piped to/out?

    sivaram

    I haven't found any utilties readily available like jq for dealing with JSON files. Alternatively, you can use python's json library to read in json files, parse them, and do whatever manipulations you want, then print out the
    results.

    If jq won't do what you want, write some python code that will.
    --
    DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee...

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Sivaram Neelakantan@21:1/5 to Kaz Kylheku on Mon Oct 25 23:43:40 2021
    On Mon, Oct 25 2021,Kaz Kylheku wrote:

    On 2021-10-25, Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> wrote:
    Thank you but none of the above hypothesis of yours about *why* I
    asked is true.

    Kennys (2) isn't a hypothesis and quite true; your explanation is helpful.

    How can it be true when I said no such thing? And even explained,
    that I come to know of tools quite late in the game and was curious to
    know what *others* used apart from jq!

    --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
    Knowing why you don't want to use jq, would help us greatly in
    figuring out what you are actually looking for and what your actual
    requirements are.
    --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

    That's his projection of what I wrote.


    There is a difference between:

    - I'm dissatisfied with jq and looking for alternatives.

    versus:

    - I'm evaluating as many tools as I can get my hands on for manipulating
    JSON in a shell scriting environment. I already know about jq; can you
    inform me about any others?"

    And you're telling me this for? I'm the OP of the question; instead
    of *asking* me, why are people *telling* me what I wrote is not what I
    wrote and that another person's response is...I dunno...is technically
    correct in a narrow sense?

    sivaram
    --

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Sivaram Neelakantan@21:1/5 to Dan Espen on Mon Oct 25 23:45:55 2021
    On Mon, Oct 25 2021,Dan Espen wrote:

    Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

    A bit offtopic, apart from jq, are there any other JSON utilities that
    are good and that you personally find useful? Something that's useful
    from the commandline and can be piped to/out?

    Also a bit off topic, but when I want to process json, python with it's excellent json processing stuff is my weapon of choice.

    Thanks. I will end up doing that once my work gets complicated enough.

    sivaram
    --

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Randal L. Schwartz@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 27 14:53:50 2021
    "Sivaram" == Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

    Sivaram> A bit offtopic, apart from jq, are there any other JSON utilities that Sivaram> are good and that you personally find useful? Something that's useful Sivaram> from the commandline and can be piped to/out?

    Not JSON related, but I find https://github.com/kislyuk/yq as a wrapper
    for YAML, XML, and TOML being fed to JQ to be quite powerful. It's
    great for converting any of those four forms into each other, and for
    doing deep manipulation.

    --
    Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095 <merlyn@stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/> Perl/Dart/Flutter consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
    Still trying to think of something clever for the fourth line of this .sig

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Sivaram Neelakantan@21:1/5 to Randal L. Schwartz on Thu Oct 28 20:18:47 2021
    On Wed, Oct 27 2021,Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

    "Sivaram" == Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

    Sivaram> A bit offtopic, apart from jq, are there any other JSON utilities that
    Sivaram> are good and that you personally find useful? Something that's useful
    Sivaram> from the commandline and can be piped to/out?

    Not JSON related, but I find https://github.com/kislyuk/yq as a wrapper
    for YAML, XML, and TOML being fed to JQ to be quite powerful. It's
    great for converting any of those four forms into each other, and for
    doing deep manipulation.

    hey, this is neat. Thanks for this find.

    sivaram
    --

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Kenny McCormack@21:1/5 to boblatest@yahoo.com on Mon Nov 29 10:38:32 2021
    In article <j0jnusFh28iU4@mid.individual.net>,
    Robert Latest <boblatest@yahoo.com> wrote:
    Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
    Thank you but none of the above hypothesis of yours about *why* I
    asked is true. Since you insist on remote mind reading, I'll humour
    you [...]

    The "humor" bit is important! There are only two possible answers to your >original question:

    1) Yes

    2) I don't know.

    That's not only boring, it also doesn't help you or anybody else. Therefore a >bit of background is required so we can have an interesting discussion, which >is the only reason anybody is in this group at all.


    Well said, sir! (On every count)

    --
    b w r w g y b r y b

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Robert Latest@21:1/5 to Sivaram Neelakantan on Mon Nov 29 10:22:20 2021
    Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
    Thank you but none of the above hypothesis of yours about *why* I
    asked is true. Since you insist on remote mind reading, I'll humour
    you [...]

    The "humor" bit is important! There are only two possible answers to your original question:

    1) Yes

    2) I don't know.

    That's not only boring, it also doesn't help you or anybody else. Therefore a bit of background is required so we can have an interesting discussion, which is the only reason anybody is in this group at all.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)