• Any recommended VPS service?

From =?UTF-8?Q?H=C3=A9ctor?= A. Abreu@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 7 13:00:23 2023
    Hi,

I'd like to host a basic website and an IRC server on an OpenBSD box. I
    checked some VPS services but they don't include 7.2 or 7.3 version of
    OpenBSD, but only versions below 7.0. My IRC server won't have a lot of
    traffic for now because it will be a private server. Any recommendations
    on VPS for OpenBSD? Thank you in advance.

--
    Héctor A. Abreu

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Matthew Ernisse@21:1/5 to invalid@invalid.invalid on Mon Aug 7 17:26:01 2023
    On Mon, 7 Aug 2023 13:00:23 -0000 (UTC), (Héctor A. Abreu)
    <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    Hi,

I'd like to host a basic website and an IRC server on an OpenBSD box. I checked some VPS services but they don't include 7.2 or 7.3 version of OpenBSD, but only versions below 7.0. My IRC server won't have a lot of traffic for now because it will be a private server. Any recommendations

Barring any other suggestions I've found many VPS providers to be slow for updating their officially supported version lists. Usually this means you install their image of (likely an older version) an OS but you can use the included tools to upgrade to the latest version (sysupgrade(8) on OpenBSD).

I know there have been various successes running OpenBSD on VPS providers
    that support other BSDs (I personally run OpenBSD on DigitalOcean under
    their FreeBSD profile) but I'd only recommend that if you already have a relationship with a VPS provider and don't want to establish another.

You may want to look at https://openbsd.amsterdam -- they run OpenBSD's built-in hypervisor vmm(8).

--
    "The avalanche has started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    --Kosh

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?H=C3=A9ctor?= A. Abreu@21:1/5 to Matthew Ernisse on Wed Aug 9 20:37:27 2023
    On 2023-08-07, Matthew Ernisse <matt@going-flying.com> wrote:
    On Mon, 7 Aug 2023 13:00:23 -0000 (UTC), (Héctor A. Abreu) <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    Hi,

I'd like to host a basic website and an IRC server on an OpenBSD box. I
    checked some VPS services but they don't include 7.2 or 7.3 version of
    OpenBSD, but only versions below 7.0. My IRC server won't have a lot of
    traffic for now because it will be a private server. Any recommendations

Barring any other suggestions I've found many VPS providers to be slow for updating their officially supported version lists. Usually this means you install their image of (likely an older version) an OS but you can use the included tools to upgrade to the latest version (sysupgrade(8) on OpenBSD).

I know there have been various successes running OpenBSD on VPS providers that support other BSDs (I personally run OpenBSD on DigitalOcean under
    their FreeBSD profile) but I'd only recommend that if you already have a relationship with a VPS provider and don't want to establish another.

You may want to look at https://openbsd.amsterdam -- they run OpenBSD's built-in hypervisor vmm(8).

Great tip, thank you! I was looking at Vultr but definitely
    openbsd.amsterdam can make more sense for my particular interests and requirements.

Regards,
    --
    Héctor A. Abreu

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Gillespie@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 10 16:33:29 2023
    I'd like to host a basic website and an IRC server on an OpenBSD box. I checked some VPS services but they don't include 7.2 or 7.3 version of OpenBSD, but only versions below 7.0. My IRC server won't have a lot of traffic for now because it will be a private server. Any recommendations

Panix doesn't list 7.3 currently, but assuming the page isn't
    simply out of date, I imagine they'll quickly add 7.3 if you ask.

https://panix.com/v-colo/systems.html#openbsd

--
    Eric Gillespie <*> epg@pretzelnet.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05