• KDE4 app crash

From =?UTF-8?B?S3ViYSBHxYJvxZs=?=@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 27 07:54:50 2019
    Hello!
    I lately try to install KDE4 on OpenBSD 6.5 .
    Unfortunately that was not quite a success.

After starting KDE4, Activity Manager crashed and other apps have troubles starting too.

What I did to make KDE4 work… (besides installing kde4 package, of course):
    * configured to start messagebus (rcctl enable messagebus)
    * added sysctl tweaks (post install messages from kde-runtime package)
    * added 'exec kdestart4' to ~user/.xsession

Like I wrote… efect is that kde4 starts, but Activity Manager crashes at start.

I seen a video on youtube (Setting Up OpenBSD 6.1 with KDE4) where a guy demonstrates how it should be configured, so I got virtual machine with OpenBSD 6.1 on my laptop and it worked! Tweaks pointed above appeared enough to start KDE4.

So I got another virtual machine with OpenBSD 6.5 and received the same crashes like on my hardware PC.
    Lately OpenBSD 6.6 was released so I think I would try it and got also Activity Manager crash.

Now I'm just installing OpenBSD 6.3 just to test in which version something changed that makes things bad… Apparently 6.3 works also fine with KDE4.

What should I do more? Are any additional tweaks necessary to make things work for version 6.5+ ?

I tried few more things…
    Doubled limits from kde-runtime post-install messages - didn't help.

Tried to start via kdm (I used xenodm before).
    #genkdmconf
    and then
    #rcctl stop xenodm
    #rcctl start kdm
    KDM seems to not start at all for OpenBSD 6.5+, it writes OK, but doesn't start X and
    #rcctl ls off |grep kdm
    gives reply (so it's off).

I see that /etc/rc.d/kdm changed in latest versions compared to earlier (ie. 6.1), but I don't feel strong enough to analyze it.
    ...but maybe it's irrelevant to main issue.

File ~$user/.xsession-errors contains a lots of errors, most important (to me) seem (multiple)messages like:
    *Kded:loadModule: Could not load library "kded_keyboard" . [ "Cannot load library /usr/local/lib/kde4/kded_keyboard.so: (File not found)" ]
    (altrough file exists)
    and
    *kdeinit4_wrapper: Warning: connect(/home/$user/.kde4/socket-$hostname/kdeinit4__0) failed: : No such file or directory

Could maybe someone more experienced help?

I the meantime I plan to test 6.4 version.

Any help appreciated…
    Kuba

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From =?UTF-8?B?S3ViYSBHxYJvxZs=?=@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 27 11:22:47 2019
    I just tested O_BSD 6.4, so issue is related to 6.5+ releases.
    Kuba

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)