• performance vs freebsd

From polymorph self@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 11 21:09:06 2017
    I have performance problems with openbsd seming slow until I make the user I run chrome as have and unlimited process count in login.conf or whatever.

I see that openbsd is potentially simpler and more powerful but am now running freebsd.

In production with busy databases and tons of web hits does openbsd do fine?

I know entire universities run on openbsd and love the cat-v.org endorsement.

I want to eventually learn to replace cisco routers and firewalls with openbsd.

I have 20 years using redhat centos and debian and have used openbsd and freebsd off n on at home for 10 years.

Its an awesome project.

I just wonder if anyone has a site where they have performance tweaks?

I have never used a mailing list.......is this the best way to ask questions?

LAst time I tried one I got like 4000 emails...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From polymorph self@21:1/5 to polymorph self on Sat Mar 11 21:13:58 2017
    On Sunday, March 12, 2017 at 12:09:06 AM UTC-5, polymorph self wrote:
    I have performance problems with openbsd seming slow until I make the user I run chrome as have and unlimited process count in login.conf or whatever.

I see that openbsd is potentially simpler and more powerful but am now running freebsd.

I have 20 years using redhat centos and debian and have used openbsd and freebsd off n on at home for 10 years.

Its an awesome project.

default:\
    :path=/usr/bin /bin /usr/sbin /sbin /usr/X11R6/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin:\
    :umask=022:\
    :datasize=infinity:\
    :maxproc=infinity:\
    :openfiles=infinity:\
    :stacksizer=infinity:\
    :localcipher=blowfish,a:\
    #:localcipher=blowfish,8:\
    #:ypcipher=old:\
    :tc=auth-defaults:\
    :tc=auth-ftp-defaults:

This is the process limit fix I hacked together from the notes.
    I wish there was a wiki or something with fixes like this.
    Maybe I am not getting that the defaults are that way for a reason....I admit I open a lot of tabs.....maybe this is being subtly discouraged by opensd users?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From polymorph self@21:1/5 to polymorph self on Mon Mar 13 23:36:54 2017
    On Sunday, March 12, 2017 at 12:09:06 AM UTC-5, polymorph self wrote:

Its an awesome project.

no one reply?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05