• Switching WiFi hotspots w/ native tools

From root@simple.gopher@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 15 01:31:46 2015
    Usually I'm just using the same WiFi hotspot over and over and have it configured in /etc/wpa-supplicant.conf. There are several hotspots configured but
    only the hotspot of interest is uncommented but I'm wondering if there
    is an easier to switch hotspots using the native console tools like ifconfig and the various rc.d scripts? Basically I'd like to leave all the hotspots in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf uncommented and then simply select the one I want
    to connect to w/o having to edit and run '/etc/rc.d/wpa_supplicant restart'.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Torfinn Ingolfsen@21:1/5 to root@simple.gopher on Sun Nov 15 11:18:54 2015
    On 11/15/2015 02:31, root@simple.gopher wrote:
    Usually I'm just using the same WiFi hotspot over and over and have it configured in /etc/wpa-supplicant.conf. There are several hotspots configured but
    only the hotspot of interest is uncommented but I'm wondering if there
    is an easier to switch hotspots using the native console tools like ifconfig and the various rc.d scripts? Basically I'd like to leave all the hotspots in
    /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf uncommented and then simply select the one I want
    to connect to w/o having to edit and run '/etc/rc.d/wpa_supplicant restart'.

I do not know if this fits with your situation, but anyway:
    You are aware that you can just have a bunch of networks configured in /etc/wpa-supplicant.conf?
    Your machine will just connect with the first one it "sees" at any given location.
    Works great if the networks are in different (physical) locations.

If you need a tool to change network, wpa_cli(8) will help you out.

HTH.

References:
    http://man.netbsd.org/7.0/usr/share/man/html8/wpa_cli.html
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From root@simple.gopher@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 15 16:54:59 2015
    Basically I'd like to leave all the hotspots in
    /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf uncommented and then simply select the one I want >> to connect to w/o having to edit and run '/etc/rc.d/wpa_supplicant restart'. >>
    If you need a tool to change network, wpa_cli(8) will help you out.

Thanks, that does help. I think I may have played around with that tool
    many years agos but it has been so long since I've needed to switch hotspots
    on a regular basis that I forgot about it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05