• POWER VM DIFFERENT DATES on different machines?

From Shuja ur Rehman@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 8 00:24:23 2015
    Hi,

This is shuja, working as AIX Admin, I have a question. We are running 2 power 8 machines.. power vm and VIOS, and logical partitioning above them. We have to test a case in SAP. all Logical Partitions are hosting AIX. We want to test some scenarios on
    the machines.

My question is ?

Can we change AIX machines dates separately but don't want to change on BIOS level or hardware level of POWER 8 machines. Hardware machine dates are good to us no need to change. although there are different OS running on the POWERVM, VIOS as well..

In short "my OS Date different may be in future and hardware & VIOS date is current date.

Is it possible or Can this be done without effecting any other machines date on hardware level.

any guide.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From rootvgNet@21:1/5 to Shuja ur Rehman on Wed Dec 9 10:23:52 2015
    On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 9:24:30 AM UTC+1, Shuja ur Rehman wrote:
    Hi,

This is shuja, working as AIX Admin, I have a question. We are running 2 power 8 machines.. power vm and VIOS, and logical partitioning above them. We have to test a case in SAP. all Logical Partitions are hosting AIX. We want to test some scenarios on
    the machines.

My question is ?

Can we change AIX machines dates separately but don't want to change on BIOS level or hardware level of POWER 8 machines. Hardware machine dates are good to us no need to change. although there are different OS running on the POWERVM, VIOS as well..

In short "my OS Date different may be in future and hardware & VIOS date is current date.

Is it possible or Can this be done without effecting any other machines date on hardware level.

any guide.

Just change the date as you normally would. Each partition has it's own idea of the time.
    From memory, the firmware idea of time is used for new partitions - after that the partition has it's own 'sense of time'.

I am using the following for ntp - simple setup.

In /etc/ntp.conf

# Default NTP configuration file.
    #
    # Broadcast client, no authentication.
    #
    # broadcastclient
    driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
    tracefile /etc/ntp.trace
    server 127.127.1.0
    server 192.168.129.254
    server 0.pool.ntp.org
    server 1.pool.ntp.org
    server 2.pool.ntp.org
    server 3.pool.ntp.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)