• Serious Issue: Trying to recover lost root password on system defined a

From Bo Goersch@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 19 06:16:00 2015
    The folks at this site have removed all LPAR's except for one on an older server. It is still running AIX 5.2. They have lost the root password. I would like to boot a mksysb tape in maintenance mode to reset the password but found that the server is
    still in LPAR mode. There is no "select 1 for SMS" boot option displayed, just the logon screen.

I found an article on IBM "Changing server from HMC-managed to stand-alone" which indicates that the console needs to be defined on a TTY. At the present time the console is defined on the vty0 graphic adapter.

Is this an absolute? I have an old 3151 plugged into the serial port and can run a smitty console from another admin user to assign it as the console. If I reboot at this point will I be able to enter the SMS menu option from the tty console?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From rootvgNet@21:1/5 to Bo Goersch on Sun Nov 15 09:56:09 2015
    On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 3:16:03 PM UTC+2, Bo Goersch wrote:
    The folks at this site have removed all LPAR's except for one on an older server. It is still running AIX 5.2. They have lost the root password. I would like to boot a mksysb tape in maintenance mode to reset the password but found that the server
    is still in LPAR mode. There is no "select 1 for SMS" boot option displayed, just the logon screen.

I found an article on IBM "Changing server from HMC-managed to stand-alone" which indicates that the console needs to be defined on a TTY. At the present time the console is defined on the vty0 graphic adapter.

Is this an absolute? I have an old 3151 plugged into the serial port and can run a smitty console from another admin user to assign it as the console. If I reboot at this point will I be able to enter the SMS menu option from the tty console?

Did you ever get an answer for this? If yes, wonderful. And disregard the rest.

If not, please repost your question on http://forums.rootvg.net. I do not have the time to answer this now and see new questions there much faster.

Also, know which POWER model you are referring to is useful information!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)