• VIOS 3.1

From Albert Chin-A-Young@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 3 19:21:59 2020
    Hi. We are running VIOS 2 on an old Power 5 and just purchased a Power S822 with PowerVM Standard Edition to upgrade to VIOS 3. We are not running NIM or HMC. We manage this server standalone. Thus, we were using IVM on VIOS 2 to create VMs. I know IVM
    is no longer part of VIOS 3. What takes it's place? Do we need to do everything via the command-line now? We already installed VIOS 3.1.1.20 on the S822. I just started reading about PowerVM Novalink. Is that intended to replace IVM? Or is Novalink meant
    for environments with many VIOS servers?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From rootvgNet@21:1/5 to Albert Chin-A-Young on Tue Oct 27 01:35:04 2020
    On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 4:22:03 AM UTC+2, Albert Chin-A-Young wrote:
    Hi. We are running VIOS 2 on an old Power 5 and just purchased a Power S822 with PowerVM Standard Edition to upgrade to VIOS 3. We are not running NIM or HMC. We manage this server standalone. Thus, we were using IVM on VIOS 2 to create VMs. I know IVM
    is no longer part of VIOS 3. What takes it's place? Do we need to do everything via the command-line now? We already installed VIOS 3.1.1.20 on the S822. I just started reading about PowerVM Novalink. Is that intended to replace IVM? Or is Novalink meant
    for environments with many VIOS servers?

Without IVM, as I understand it, you will need an HMC to create partitions (i.e., talk with the PHYP).

If you are still 'stuck' I would suggest installing VIOS2 on a second partition (leave the VIOS3 installed for another day). Being creative, it should be possible to use the VIOS2 to configure partitions etc., shutdown, and then let VIOS3 discover the
    new resources.

However, the problem with that - still no interface to power ON the partitions just created.

Novalink - as I understand it at a high level - is a partition that can talk directly with PHYP and PowerVC - and provide the ability to deploy partitions must faster than VIOS(/HMC). That is, it is not required - but becomes valuable when speed of
    deployment is a major concern. Again, from memory of old presentations on PowerVC - it is aonly useful in PowerVC environments.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)