• 24 bits, KDE and AIX 5.1

From Lorenzo Mollicone@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 7 07:42:03 2018
    Did you just buy a fancy graphics adapter?

Were you looking for 3D shapes and 24 bits with millions of colors?

You know it !!

But what's wrong little boy, why the sad face? Did the desktop manager start with a BS dithered screen and less than spectacular graphics? Is your root window in 8 bit?

It's not responding to the Xservers file you dumped someplace in /etc/dt/config/ What to do !!

Well, lo and behold, there exists another Xservers file in /opt/freeware/kde/share/config/kdm

Tweak your settings here my friend, and your graphics environment will thank you.

Oh, and ensure you direct the output to your display adapter instead of :lft0, otherwise it will load to a text login instead of the graphics.

Mine, I'm not sure if my GL is working yet, so it might not be 100%, but it got me a 24-bit root window.

:0 local@moj0 /usr/bin/X11/X -x GLX -x abx -x dbe -T -cc TrueColor -d 24 -layer 0 -force :0

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Lorenzo Mollicone@21:1/5 to Lorenzo Mollicone on Fri Dec 7 07:43:58 2018
    On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 10:42:08 AM UTC-5, Lorenzo Mollicone wrote:
    Did you just buy a fancy graphics adapter?

Were you looking for 3D shapes and 24 bits with millions of colors?

You know it !!

But what's wrong little boy, why the sad face? Did the desktop manager start with a BS dithered screen and less than spectacular graphics? Is your root window in 8 bit?

It's not responding to the Xservers file you dumped someplace in /etc/dt/config/ What to do !!

Well, lo and behold, there exists another Xservers file in /opt/freeware/kde/share/config/kdm

Tweak your settings here my friend, and your graphics environment will thank you.

Oh, and ensure you direct the output to your display adapter instead of :lft0, otherwise it will load to a text login instead of the graphics.

Mine, I'm not sure if my GL is working yet, so it might not be 100%, but it got me a 24-bit root window.

:0 local@moj0 /usr/bin/X11/X -x GLX -x abx -x dbe -T -cc TrueColor -d 24 -layer 0 -force :0

The README file:

The configuration files in this directory were automatically generated.
    As the used algorithms are pretty dumb, the configuration may be broken.
    This configuration is derived from the following files:
    - /opt/freeware/kde/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
    This configuration depends on the following files, which must not be deleted:
    - /opt/freeware/kde/share/config/kdm/Xservers
    - /opt/freeware/kde/share/config/kdm/Xaccess
    - /opt/freeware/kde/share/config/kdm/Xwilling
    - /opt/freeware/kde/share/config/kdm/Xsetup
    - /opt/freeware/kde/share/config/kdm/Xstartup
    - /opt/freeware/kde/share/config/kdm/Xreset
    - /opt/freeware/kde/share/config/kdm/Xsession
    Have a look at the program <kdebase-sources>/kdm/kfrontend/genkdmconf
    if you want to generate another configuration.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)