• Opinions... (Was: [ANN] ksh 93u+m/1.0.7)

From Kenny McCormack@21:1/5 to Muttley@dastardlyhq.com on Sat Sep 16 09:10:28 2023
    XPost: comp.unix.shell

In article <ue3qnr$3omqt$1@dont-email.me>, <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote: ...
    Seems to me far too many people try and use shell script way beyond what it >was intended to do - ie navitage the file system, link commands together and >job control - and use it where they'd be far better off simply using perl or >python (or even awk) which leads shell authors to bung in features no sane >person in their right mind would ever need, never mind use.

You know what they say about opinions.

Everybody's got one.

--
    The randomly chosen signature file that would have appeared here is more than 4 lines long. As such, it violates one or more Usenet RFCs. In order to remain in compliance with said RFCs, the actual sig can be found at the following URL:
    http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/God

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Muttley@dastardlyhq.com@21:1/5 to Kenny McCormack on Sat Sep 16 09:20:51 2023

On Sat, 16 Sep 2023 09:10:28 -0000 (UTC)
    gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) wrote:
    In article <ue3qnr$3omqt$1@dont-email.me>, <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote: >....
    Seems to me far too many people try and use shell script way beyond what it >>was intended to do - ie navitage the file system, link commands together and >>job control - and use it where they'd be far better off simply using perl or >>python (or even awk) which leads shell authors to bung in features no sane >>person in their right mind would ever need, never mind use.

Everybody's got one.

I don't present mine as fact. Plenty of others do. Plus I've been working
    on *nix for 30 years and only twice have I seen anyone try and get clever
    with shell scripts , in one case using co-process in bash. In both cases
    their code was fragile and didn't cope with edge cases and they'd have been better off writing it in a language that had far better error handling.
    $? and trap simply don't cut it beyond a certain level of complexity.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Kaz Kylheku@21:1/5 to Kenny McCormack on Sun Sep 17 19:24:34 2023

On 2023-09-16, Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
    In article <ue3qnr$3omqt$1@dont-email.me>, <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote: ...
    Seems to me far too many people try and use shell script way beyond what it >>was intended to do - ie navitage the file system, link commands together and >>job control - and use it where they'd be far better off simply using perl or >>python (or even awk) which leads shell authors to bung in features no sane >>person in their right mind would ever need, never mind use.

Everybody's got one.

The version I remember is:

Well, you know, opinions are like assholes: everyone has one.

--
    TXR Programming Language: http://nongnu.org/txr
    Cygnal: Cygwin Native Application Library: http://kylheku.com/cygnal
    Mastodon: @Kazinator@mstdn.ca
    NOTE: If you use Google Groups, I don't see you, unless you're whitelisted.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Kenny McCormack@21:1/5 to 864-117-4973@kylheku.com on Sun Sep 17 21:27:05 2023

In article <20230917122406.211@kylheku.com>,
    Kaz Kylheku <864-117-4973@kylheku.com> wrote:
    On 2023-09-16, Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:

Everybody's got one.

The version I remember is:

Well, you know, opinions are like assholes: everyone has one.

Yup.

--
    When polled for who is/was the worst US president, the candidates (i.e. popular responses/suggestions) are usually:
    (Andrew) Johnson, Buchanan, or Trump
    When polled for who is/was the best US president, the candidates (i.e. popular responses/suggestions) are usually:
    FDR, Lincoln, or Trump

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05