• Intermec EasyCoder PX6i (Bartender -compatible ) printer on Solaris 10u

From Betsy Schwartz@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 7 19:06:43 2019
    Any hints on getting one of these to print in Solaris? (doesn't help that the printer is 12 hours away)
    We're getting emailed errors from the printer so we know our packets are getting there. I'm striking out on finding any docs on configuring this. (I'm also not 100% convinced that the printer is not defective but that's another line of inquiry)

chnlblxml03 is in /etc/hosts.conf and we can ping and telnet and have verified IP. Other postscript printers are working but we don't have any other printers of this model.

/etc/printers.conf:

chnlblxml03: :printer-uri-supported=ipp\://db1.example.com/printers/chnlblxml03:\ :bsdaddr=db.example.com,chnlblxml03,Solaris:

# lpstat -p chnlblxml03 -l
    printer chnlblxml03 is idle. enabled since Fri Jul 26 04:19:49 2019. available. Form mounted:
    Content types: text/plain
    Description:
    Printer types: unknown
    Connection: direct
    Interface: /usr/lib/lp/model/netstandard_foomatic
    On fault: write to root once
    After fault: continue
    Users allowed:
    (all)
    Forms allowed:
    (none)
    Media supported:
    (none)
    Banner page never printed
    Character sets:
    (none)
    Default pitch:
    Default page size:
    Default port setting:
    Options: dest=chnlblxml03, protocol=bsd

# tail /var/lp/logs/requests
    C 1
    D chnlblxml03
    F /tmp/A-1743.btw
    O nobanner
    P 20
    T /tmp/A-1743.btw
    t simple
    U root@db1.example.com
    s 0x0010
    v 2
    #

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From YTC#1@21:1/5 to Betsy Schwartz on Thu Aug 8 08:49:43 2019
    On 08/08/2019 03:06, Betsy Schwartz wrote:

Any hints on getting one of these to print in Solaris? (doesn't help that the printer is 12 hours away)
    We're getting emailed errors from the printer so we know our packets are getting there. I'm striking out on finding any docs on configuring this. (I'm also not 100% convinced that the printer is not defective but that's another line of inquiry)

Has it ever worked ? Or is this a 1st attempt ?

chnlblxml03 is in /etc/hosts.conf and we can ping and telnet and have verified IP. Other postscript printers are working but we don't have any other printers of this model.

Have you investigated using CUPS instead ?

https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris/using-cups-print-server-for-solaris-10-v2

Either get it from the companion CD or go to CSW https://www.opencsw.org/packages/cups/

I've not had to fiddle with Solaris printing since last century :-)

/etc/printers.conf:

chnlblxml03: :printer-uri-supported=ipp\://db1.example.com/printers/chnlblxml03:\ :bsdaddr=db.example.com,chnlblxml03,Solaris:

# lpstat -p chnlblxml03 -l
    printer chnlblxml03 is idle. enabled since Fri Jul 26 04:19:49 2019. available.
    Form mounted:
    Content types: text/plain
    Description:
    Printer types: unknown
    Connection: direct
    Interface: /usr/lib/lp/model/netstandard_foomatic
    On fault: write to root once
    After fault: continue
    Users allowed:
    (all)
    Forms allowed:
    (none)
    Media supported:
    (none)
    Banner page never printed
    Character sets:
    (none)
    Default pitch:
    Default page size:
    Default port setting:
    Options: dest=chnlblxml03, protocol=bsd

# tail /var/lp/logs/requests
    C 1
    D chnlblxml03
    F /tmp/A-1743.btw
    O nobanner
    P 20
    T /tmp/A-1743.btw
    t simple
    U root@db1.example.com
    s 0x0010
    v 2
    #

--
    Bruce Porter
    "The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly" http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
    There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Betsy Schwartz@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 8 06:55:14 2019
    It reportedly worked in the previous environment which was Solaris on IBM hosting. No further details are available about the previous environment.

No, because a) all of the other printers in this production environment are working and b) CUPS is unsupported on Solaris 10. We use CUPS on Solaris 11 and Linux. We're trying to stick with supported software and we definitely don't want to make changes
    that might disrupt the rest of production. Unfortunately the customer does not have support for this individual printer.

(I've used CSW in the past but would be very reluctant to use it in a commercial production environment, because of the support issue and because of the massive pile of dependencies)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From YTC#1@21:1/5 to Betsy Schwartz on Thu Aug 8 16:03:05 2019
    On 08/08/2019 14:55, Betsy Schwartz wrote:

It reportedly worked in the previous environment which was Solaris on IBM hosting. No further details are available about the previous environment.

So, on those grounds surely you are free to change things to get them
    working ? Or demand that IBM supply configuration and working details as
    part of the hand over (that would be the professional thing for them to
    do :-) )

No, because a) all of the other printers in this production environment are working and b) CUPS is unsupported on Solaris 10. We use CUPS on Solaris 11 and Linux. We're trying to stick with supported
    software and we definitely don't want to make changes that might disrupt
    the rest of production. Unfortunately the customer does not have support
    for this individual printer.

errm, the customer has no support for the printer, so what is stopping
    you from using unsupported software to fix it ?

I understand why you would not want to use CSW, but surely the companion
    CD version is worth a shot ?

As a test, I would setup a zone running the printsoftware, and redirect
    that one printer there.

(I've used CSW in the past but would be very reluctant to use it in a commercial production environment, because of the support issue and because of the massive pile of dependencies)

Sorry, can't really help then, the only work I have done in recent years
    has been converting to CUPS.

--
    Bruce Porter
    "The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly" http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris@21:1/5 to Betsy Schwartz on Thu Aug 8 17:08:00 2019
    On 08/08/19 16:32, Betsy Schwartz wrote:
    Thanks, but we need to get it working with lp, or bust. The customer is printing from Oracle EBS using multiple printers in multiple physical locations. It's all production, and it took a while to get the rest of the printers working, so ripping that
    out would be a major disruption to our customer.

(Use of unsupported software is a policy decision that is outside the scope of this project. But at this point I would not advocate for it, based on a single printer on a single server for a single customer).

We're also experimenting with sending the printing to a windows print queue. Hm, I suppose we could experiment with running CUPS in a zone and sending the printing to it as a remote queue, but that adds an extra VM into the mix which introduces layer 8&
    9 complexities.

If anyone has experience getting bartender-compatible printers to work with Solaris 10 lp, please let me know.

Have an Avery Dennison printer here and eventually installed
    the vendors software on a windows server machine. Took less
    than an hour and worked out of the box. Most printer software
    is windows oriented, good or bad and can save a lot of time to
    use their solution.

if the idea is to get the job done, quickly, how would that
    help ?...

Chris

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Betsy Schwartz@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 8 08:32:33 2019
    Thanks, but we need to get it working with lp, or bust. The customer is printing from Oracle EBS using multiple printers in multiple physical locations. It's all production, and it took a while to get the rest of the printers working, so ripping that out
    would be a major disruption to our customer.

(Use of unsupported software is a policy decision that is outside the scope of this project. But at this point I would not advocate for it, based on a single printer on a single server for a single customer).

We're also experimenting with sending the printing to a windows print queue. Hm, I suppose we could experiment with running CUPS in a zone and sending the printing to it as a remote queue, but that adds an extra VM into the mix which introduces layer 8&9
    complexities.

If anyone has experience getting bartender-compatible printers to work with Solaris 10 lp, please let me know.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From YTC#1@21:1/5 to Betsy Schwartz on Thu Aug 8 19:03:02 2019
    On 08/08/2019 16:32, Betsy Schwartz wrote:
    Thanks, but we need to get it working with lp, or bust. The customer is printing from Oracle EBS using multiple printers in multiple physical locations. It's all production, and it took a while to get the rest of the printers working, so ripping that
    out would be a major disruption to our customer.

You misunderstand me

Just get this *one* printer working with CUPs, leave the rest as they are.

Hence using a NGZ to drive the printer in question.

We're also experimenting with sending the printing to a windows print queue. Hm, I suppose we could experiment with running CUPS
    *ding*

in a zone and sending the printing to it as a remote queue, but that
    adds an extra VM into the mix which introduces layer 8&9 complexities.

It is hardly much over head , work or server wise.

I have tons of zones, I do one thing per zone.

I had them working with 2.4->2.5.1 :-)
    Barco ?

--
    Bruce Porter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Betsy Schwartz@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 11 09:22:06 2019
    Thank you all. We're following up with trying to set up a windows print queue.

Unfortunately, in this situation, adding a zone would have financial/political implications totally unrelated to the technical merits. Not ruling it out but it's a very last resort for those non-technical reasons.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From YTC#1@21:1/5 to Betsy Schwartz on Sun Aug 11 17:57:57 2019
    On 11/08/2019 17:22, Betsy Schwartz wrote:
    Thank you all. We're following up with trying to set up a windows print queue.

<holds head in hands>
    What's the answer ? Windows
    Why ? Because
    </hhih>
    Unfortunately, in this situation, adding a zone would have financial/political implications totally unrelated to the technical merits. Not ruling it out but it's a very last resort for those non-technical reasons.

Sorry, but I would really like to know how a zone would have financial implications, when Windows would not.

--
    Bruce Porter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Betsy Schwartz@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 11 13:35:14 2019
    Sorry, but I would really like to know how a zone would have financial implications, when Windows would not.

It's Complicated :-). Don't want to go into a lot of detail here. Let's just say it's a billing thing; the Windows server already exists. If you really want to know shoot me a private email (firstname dot lastname )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Betsy Schwartz@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 31 18:52:16 2019
    (I tried to answer your email but it bounced, don't have enough clues to deduce your real email address)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Betsy Schwartz@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 31 18:55:13 2019
    Anyway, to followup, the printer DOES print from the Windows print server, and we were able to print to it from Solaris via the Windows print server. Once we established that a Windows desktop was able to print to it, and since there was already a
    Windows server on-prem, this seemed like the fastest path forward to get the job done.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From YTC#1@21:1/5 to Betsy Schwartz on Sun Sep 1 10:12:47 2019
    On 01/09/2019 02:55, Betsy Schwartz wrote:
    Anyway, to followup, the printer DOES print from the Windows print server, and we were able to print to it from Solaris via the Windows print server. Once we established that a Windows desktop was able to print to it, and since there was already a
    Windows server on-prem, this seemed like the fastest path forward to get the job done.

:-)

Forgot about that.
    Drop the -spambin (as in minus spambin)
    bdp@ytc1.co.uk

I should change the anit-spam stuff, not as needed as it used to be

--
    Bruce Porter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05