• 24 GB RAM in a Sun Ultra 27 ??

From Luca De Nardis@21:1/5 to fbord...@gmail.com on Thu Feb 18 02:39:32 2021
    On Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 9:15:49 PM UTC+2, fbord...@gmail.com wrote:
    6x4gb is possible. I have this set up right now on an Ultra27 no problems.

hello,

sorry to jump in on this thread with a different issue for an Ultra 27, but since your post is relatively recent, I hope you still have the set up running and can help...
    I am refurbishing an Ultra 27. Regarding RAM, I kept the original 6 (3x2GB) and added 12 (3x4GB) without issues.
    I am now moving to GPU(s?).
    The machine had a cheap Quadro FX380 on, so I bought a used Quadro FX5800 which is the best card originally supported by the Ultra 27.
    Since the deal included a Nvidia Tesla C1060, I am tempted to install that too and see if I can take advantage of the dual setup with a SLI cable.
    In terms of connectors I don't see any problem, the motherboard has two PCIe slots for graphic cards and a power connector that supports a split in two 8 pin connectors required
    by the Quadro and the Tesla, but I am wondering about power requirements.
    The boards according to specs have a typical power consumption of 188 W (Tesla) + 189 W (Quadro); even taking into account the 130 W used by the CPU, the 530 W PSU could be enough, although we are probably rather close to maximum load.
    The biggest problem I see is that the Sun service manual says that the two slots have a maximum load of 225 W, but it seems this is for the two slots combined...
    Any chance you tried to do something similar?
    Thanks,

Luca

--
    si è il legittimo destinatario dello stesso. Qualora tale messaggio sia
    stato ricevuto per errore, si prega di restituirlo al mittente e di cancellarlo permanentemente dal proprio computer.
    The information contained
    in this e mail message is strictly confidential and intended for the use of the addressee only.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, forward or store it on your computer. If you have received the message in error, please forward it back to the sender and delete it permanently from your computer system.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Fernando Bordignon@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 18 04:11:00 2021
    Ciao Luca.
    The Ultra 27 is retired, she gave up a few months after my post.
    Take care

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Luca De Nardis@21:1/5 to Fernando Bordignon on Thu Feb 18 08:43:55 2021
    On Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 1:11:03 PM UTC+1, Fernando Bordignon wrote:
    Ciao Luca.
    The Ultra 27 is retired, she gave up a few months after my post.
    Take care

too bad :)
    Thanks for getting back to me...
    Ciao!

--
    si è il legittimo destinatario dello stesso. Qualora tale messaggio sia
    stato ricevuto per errore, si prega di restituirlo al mittente e di cancellarlo permanentemente dal proprio computer.
    The information contained
    in this e mail message is strictly confidential and intended for the use of the addressee only.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, forward or store it on your computer. If you have received the message in error, please forward it back to the sender and delete it permanently from your computer system.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05