• Acrobat Distiller command line usage on Macs

From Anuj Shah@21:1/5 to All on Sun Apr 30 14:24:20 2023
    I have recently signed up for using Distiller in CLI mode and I need to convert a few hundred PDFs from postscript to PDF using the Distiller install on my local machine that's here, "/Applications/Adobe Acrobat DC/Acrobat Distiller.app/Contents/MacOS/
    Distiller"

I am pretty close but I can't manage to get rid of the annoying Distiller window after every call. I am wondering what am I missing.

I use python and make a subprocess call, that looks like this

subprocess.run(
    [DISTILLER_INSTALLATION_PATH, "--nopause", "-q", "-dBATCH", "-dNOPAUSE", f"-sOutputFile={output_pdf_path}",
    f"-dPDFSETTINGS={print_job_options}", ps_file],
    check=True)

However, I do this in a loop but every time Distiller expects me to close the window.

Here's my questions.

1) Where is the documentation for this stuff, almost impossible to find?
    2) What am I missing when i already specify NOPause, and batch as arguments?
    3) Was there an alternative where I don't go through every PS file in a single loop but provide them all at one time? In that case I don't mind having the window open and clicking close one time when they're all done.

Any help is appreciated.
    Best
    Anuj

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From ken@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 1 08:39:50 2023
    In article <ffb0a009-d5b3-461e-aa44-f735ec30c550n@googlegroups.com>, anuj.for@gmail.com says...

I have recently signed up for using Distiller in CLI mode and I need to convert a few hundred PDFs from postscript to PDF using the Distiller install on my local machine that's here, "/Applications/Adobe Acrobat DC/Acrobat Distiller.app/Contents/MacOS/
    Distiller"

I am pretty close but I can't manage to get rid of the annoying Distiller window after every call. I am wondering what am I missing.

I use python and make a subprocess call, that looks like this

subprocess.run(
    [DISTILLER_INSTALLATION_PATH, "--nopause", "-q", "-dBATCH", "-dNOPAUSE", f"-sOutputFile={output_pdf_path}",
    f"-dPDFSETTINGS={print_job_options}", ps_file],
    check=True)

However, I do this in a loop but every time Distiller expects me to close the window.

I could be mistaken, but.....

The command line parameters you have listed there are for *Ghostscript*
    and it's pdfwrite device. It's possible Adobe Acrobat uses the same
    command line switches, but I seriously doubt it. Certainly the
    documentation I can see doesn't use those switches.

1) Where is the documentation for this stuff, almost impossible to find?

What little documentation there is, is in the Acrobat Distiller API
    Reference. You can find copies of it on the web. It seems like Adobe
    doesn't really want you to use the command line though.

Ken

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)