• Reference manager for FrameMaker

From disco2hse@21:1/5 to Michael Crotty on Sat Oct 31 11:54:20 2015
    On Friday, 30 October 2015 06:42:46 UTC+13, Michael Crotty wrote:
    Hello,
    I am interested in finding a reference manager solution for use in FrameMaker. I have found CiteMaker (http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~citemaker), but it doesn't look like it has been updated since the timeframe of FM 5.5. I've found a version of it and
    gotten it to sort of work with FM 12, but it's not fully functional.

Bottom line, I'd like to find a reference manager that allows me to maintain a database of references that can then be referenced with citations in the text. Ideally, the tool would then generate a reference list for the FM book (as a References
    chapter).

Thanks!
    Michael

Michael Crotty
    Statistical Writer
    SAS Institute, JMP Division

I used CiteMaker back in the day but it was never especially straight forward. So far as I am aware, there is no reference manager for FM and is part of the reason why when I have that need, I use bibtex in LaTeX.

I suppose you could export to Word and use something painful like EndNote and then bring the content back into Frame. You would need to create appropriate para and char formats, then manually format all the entries to get them looking right. Zapping the
    Word formats might also present an issue so Silicon Prairie's Paragraph Tools would be helpful.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Michael Crotty@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 29 10:42:45 2015
    Hello,
    I am interested in finding a reference manager solution for use in FrameMaker. I have found CiteMaker (http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~citemaker), but it doesn't look like it has been updated since the timeframe of FM 5.5. I've found a version of it and

Bottom line, I'd like to find a reference manager that allows me to maintain a database of references that can then be referenced with citations in the text. Ideally, the tool would then generate a reference list for the FM book (as a References chapter).

Thanks!
    Michael

Michael Crotty
    Statistical Writer

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Crotty@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 18 10:39:25 2015
    I've used bibtex (and JabRef) in LaTeX before, and that is exactly the type system I'm looking for, just with FrameMaker documents rather than .tex documents.

On Saturday, October 31, 2015 at 2:54:21 PM UTC-4, disco2hse wrote:
    On Friday, 30 October 2015 06:42:46 UTC+13, Michael Crotty wrote:
    Hello,

Bottom line, I'd like to find a reference manager that allows me to maintain a database of references that can then be referenced with citations in the text. Ideally, the tool would then generate a reference list for the FM book (as a References
    chapter).

Thanks!
    Michael

Michael Crotty
    Statistical Writer

I used CiteMaker back in the day but it was never especially straight forward. So far as I am aware, there is no reference manager for FM and is part of the reason why when I have that need, I use bibtex in LaTeX.

I suppose you could export to Word and use something painful like EndNote and then bring the content back into Frame. You would need to create appropriate para and char formats, then manually format all the entries to get them looking right. Zapping
    the Word formats might also present an issue so Silicon Prairie's Paragraph Tools would be helpful.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From techcommtools@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 30 06:26:11 2015
    I'm not familiar with CiteMaker, but it sounds like you need a content management system, and perhaps a DITA workflow.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From disco2hse@21:1/5 to Michael Crotty on Thu Nov 19 10:40:39 2015
    On Thursday, 19 November 2015 07:39:26 UTC+13, Michael Crotty wrote:
    I've used bibtex (and JabRef) in LaTeX before, and that is exactly the type system I'm looking for, just with FrameMaker documents rather than .tex documents.

I hear you and yes, there is nothing on the market that I am aware of that does this. As I said, the only way to achieve that is to round trip rtf/doc/docx. Or if you can consider linking anchored text.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Flynn@21:1/5 to Michael Crotty on Sat Dec 17 20:39:29 2016
    On 18/11/15 18:39, Michael Crotty wrote:
    I've used bibtex (and JabRef) in LaTeX before, and that is exactly
    the type system I'm looking for, just with FrameMaker documents
    rather than .tex documents.

The LaTeX world is moving away from BiBTeX to the biblatex package,
    which has much increased functionality and is written in LaTeX code,
    rather than the unique — if interesting — reverse Polish notation used
    for BiBTeX .bst files.

To go with this is a new program (biber) to replace the old bibtex
    executable. The chief advantages are that biblatex+biber is *much* more extensible; it still uses the same .bib file format, so all existing
    .bib files still work; and it offers full UTF-8 support. AFAIK all the
    major formats are now available in biblatex and are under active
    maintenance.

There is a biblatexml markup format available in the biber program,
    although I haven't investigated this much yet; if it means it can output
    the cited references in XML, then it would be possible to write a small
    XSLT2 program to turn that into whatever Frame imports (DITA, DocBook,
    TEI, etc).

///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/
    Formatting Information: http://latex.silmaril.ie/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Edmond@21:1/5 to Michael Crotty on Sun Mar 5 22:41:46 2017
    On Thursday, October 29, 2015 at 10:42:46 AM UTC-7, Michael Crotty wrote:
    Hello,

chapter).

Thanks!
    Michael

Michael Crotty
    Statistical Writer

Hi Michael,
    You can try using the FM-biblio package from http://www.daube.ch/docu/fmaker70.html, which can work with Endnote or Citavi reference management software. I hope, with the new scripting capabilities added to Framemaker, that someone will write a script
    using a modern database structure for references, like bibjson.
    Regards,
    Edmond

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05