• Wyse50 Aux Port & Barcode Scanner

From Steve Rajski@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 1 13:47:31 2016
    We have 20 Wyse50 terminals in our factory. Each has attached to it an AML2500 Decoder box and a Honeywell MS9520-00 barcode scanner. The connections are as follows.

Barcode scanner plugged into Decoder Box
    Decoder Box "To Host" connection to the host cable
    Decoder Box "To Terminal" connection to the Wyse50 Modem port

This setup works fine.

The issue is that the Honeywell MS9520-00 is no longer available. We have newer MS9520s which have their own power supply and I purchased a Honeywell Xenon 1900. With both of these newer scanners I thought I would be able to bypass the Decoder box and
    just use the Aux port on the back of the Wyse50. But although I believe I have the scanner configured properly, I am unable to get the barcode scanner to send data to the host thru the aux port on the Wyse50. Is this even possible?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Richard@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 1 21:10:52 2016
    [Please do not mail me a copy of your followup]

Steve Rajski <steven.rajski.realtor@gmail.com> spake the secret code <b665cb21-677f-402e-afc6-c4a9b059abaa@googlegroups.com> thusly:

The issue is that the Honeywell MS9520-00 is no longer available. We
    have newer MS9520s which have their own power supply and I purchased a >Honeywell Xenon 1900. With both of these newer scanners I thought I
    would be able to bypass the Decoder box and just use the Aux port on
    the back of the Wyse50. But although I believe I have the scanner
    configured properly, I am unable to get the barcode scanner to send
    data to the host thru the aux port on the Wyse50. Is this even
    possible?

It sounds like the decoder box is doing something important, so you
    can't just discard it from your setup.
    --
    "The Direct3D Graphics Pipeline" free book <http://tinyurl.com/d3d-pipeline>
    The Computer Graphics Museum <http://computergraphicsmuseum.org>
    The Terminals Wiki <http://terminals.classiccmp.org>
    Legalize Adulthood! (my blog) <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to steven.rajski.realtor@gmail.com on Tue Aug 2 08:35:27 2016
    Steve Rajski <steven.rajski.realtor@gmail.com> wrote:
    We have 20 Wyse50 terminals in our factory. Each has attached to it an AML2= >500 Decoder box and a Honeywell MS9520-00 barcode scanner. The connections = >are as follows.

Barcode scanner plugged into Decoder Box
    Decoder Box "To Host" connection to the host cable
    Decoder Box "To Terminal" connection to the Wyse50 Modem port

This setup works fine.

The scanner is sending out data... the decoder box is taking data from both
    the terminal datastream and the scanner datastream and putting them together and sending them to the host.

This is sort of a trick that people used since the port and datacomm lines
    were expensive, so this way you needed only one connection to the host instead of two.

If you plug the output of the decoder box into a null modem cable and into
    a second Wyse terminal, you should be able to see the data typed on the keyboard and the data from the scanner appear on the second terminal. (This
    is an old trick for people who don't have a protocol analyzer lying around).

The issue is that the Honeywell MS9520-00 is no longer available. We have n= >ewer MS9520s which have their own power supply and I purchased a Honeywell = >Xenon 1900. With both of these newer scanners I thought I would be able to = >bypass the Decoder box and just use the Aux port on the back of the Wyse50.=
    But although I believe I have the scanner configured properly, I am unable= to get the barcode scanner to send data to the host thru the aux port on t=
    he Wyse50. Is this even possible?=20

Probably not. The Wyse can use the aux port for a couple different things including sending print jobs to it, but I don't think it has any passthrough mode where it will take data from the aux port and shove it up to the host.

You COULD get a switchbox and just flip it from one input to the other when
    you scan, assuming the data rates and formats of the two scanners was the
    same.

This is really more of a scanner question than a terminal question though. --scott

--
    "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05