• Using PuTTY 0.73 with AIX 7.2 and AIX 7.1 and smitty output does not di

From bradystoner.phci@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 18 05:12:10 2019
    Hello: I'm using PuTTY 0.73 with AIX 7.2 and AIX 7.1 LPAR's. We were using Reflections as our AIX terminal emulator but we are now switching to PuTTY.

The issue that I'm having with PuTTY is the following:

When I go into smitty and make a selection from the smitty menu which then runs the associated AIX command behind the scenes, the smitty output from this command does not stay in a separate smitty output window and this smitty output is then displayed on
    my original PuTTY window. This makes this smitty output very difficult to follow what's happening. Once the smitty command complets then it shows me the normal smitty output that I would expect to see.

Is there a PuTTY parameter that I can adjust so the output from my smitty commands looks normal and always stays in the smitty output window during the entire running of the smitty command instead of being directed to my main PuTTY window?

Has anyone else run into this?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From William Pechter@21:1/5 to bradystoner.phci@gmail.com on Fri Dec 20 02:45:57 2019
    In article <d4a2ca05-89c9-4a5a-85bb-68211c7f52dc@googlegroups.com>,
    <bradystoner.phci@gmail.com> wrote:
    Hello: I'm using PuTTY 0.73 with AIX 7.2 and AIX 7.1 LPAR's. We were
    using Reflections as our AIX terminal emulator but we are now switching
    to PuTTY.

When I go into smitty and make a selection from the smitty menu which
    then runs the associated AIX command behind the scenes, the smitty
    output from this command does not stay in a separate smitty output
    window and this smitty output is then displayed on my original PuTTY
    window. This makes this smitty output very difficult to follow what's >happening. Once the smitty command complets then it shows me the normal >smitty output that I would expect to see.

Is there a PuTTY parameter that I can adjust so the output from my
    smitty commands looks normal and always stays in the smitty output
    window during the entire running of the smitty command instead of being >directed to my main PuTTY window?

I no longer have any access to any AIX machines to test. What's your
    terminal type set to in AIX. Is it ANSI/VT100 or something different?

Bill
    --
    __

Bill Pechter pechter-at-gmail.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Kaz Kylheku@21:1/5 to William Pechter on Fri Dec 20 05:34:02 2019
    On 2019-12-20, William Pechter <pechter@lakewoodmicro-fbsd-tor1-01.lakewoodmicro.com> wrote:
    I no longer have any access to any AIX machines to test.

AIn't aXesible.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bradystoner.phci@gmail.com@21:1/5 to bradyst...@gmail.com on Fri Dec 20 07:31:21 2019
    On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 7:12:11 AM UTC-6, bradyst...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hello: I'm using PuTTY 0.73 with AIX 7.2 and AIX 7.1 LPAR's. We were using Reflections as our AIX terminal emulator but we are now switching to PuTTY.

When I go into smitty and make a selection from the smitty menu which then runs the associated AIX command behind the scenes, the smitty output from this command does not stay in a separate smitty output window and this smitty output is then displayed
    on my original PuTTY window. This makes this smitty output very difficult to follow what's happening. Once the smitty command complets then it shows me the normal smitty output that I would expect to see.

Is there a PuTTY parameter that I can adjust so the output from my smitty commands looks normal and always stays in the smitty output window during the entire running of the smitty command instead of being directed to my main PuTTY window?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bradystoner.phci@gmail.com@21:1/5 to bradyst...@gmail.com on Fri Dec 20 07:30:58 2019
    On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 7:12:11 AM UTC-6, bradyst...@gmail.com wrote:

When I go into smitty and make a selection from the smitty menu which then runs the associated AIX command behind the scenes, the smitty output from this command does not stay in a separate smitty output window and this smitty output is then displayed
    on my original PuTTY window. This makes this smitty output very difficult to follow what's happening. Once the smitty command complets then it shows me the normal smitty output that I would expect to see.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bradystoner.phci@gmail.com@21:1/5 to bradyst...@gmail.com on Fri Dec 20 07:39:37 2019

Thanks for the responses! I logged into one of my AIX LPAR's using the "Reflections" terminal emulator that we are currently using and I then ran the command "env". It was showing a terminal type of "vt220". I then went into my PuTTY session setup under
    Connection/Data and changed the "Terminal-type string" from the default of "xterm" to "vt220" and this has resolved my issue with smitty. Changing to the "vt220" did not affect my function keys either which is nice.

Thanks for the help!
    Brady

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alex Martini@21:1/5 to bradystoner.phci@gmail.com on Sun Dec 22 14:41:37 2019
    On 2019-12-20 15:39:37 +0000, bradystoner.phci@gmail.com said:

Connection/Data and changed the "Terminal-type string" from the default
    of "xterm" to "vt220" and this has resolved my issue with smitty.
    Changing to the "vt220" did not affect my function keys either which is
    nice.

If you do end up with a terminal type where smitty doesn't support the
    function keys, it falls back to key mappings like ESC-1 through ESC-9.
    (At least that's what AIX 5 or so did on the Apple Network Server I was
    working with earlier this fall.) In that case, you have to press the
    two keys in very quick succession.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bradystoner.phci@gmail.com@21:1/5 to bradyst...@gmail.com on Mon Dec 23 04:31:47 2019

Thanks Alex, I'll keep this in mind.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05