• PuTTY network error

From macnala0@gmail.com@21:1/5 to macn...@gmail.com on Sat Jul 13 11:35:52 2019
    On Saturday, 13 July 2019 19:33:14 UTC+1, macn...@gmail.com wrote:
    I have just installed PuTTY 64 bit and am trying to connect to my website.
    I get as far as entering the IP address and port 22 but when I click Open I get a PuTTY fatal error
    Network error: Network error: Software caused connection abort.

I do not know what is causing this error.

I perhaps should have stated PuTTY is installed in 64 bit Windows 10, website is GoDaddy cPanel hosted alancameron.me.uk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From macnala0@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 13 11:33:13 2019
    I get as far as entering the IP address and port 22 but when I click Open I get a PuTTY fatal error

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to macnala0@gmail.com on Sun Jul 14 00:16:27 2019
    In article <25f90808-94a4-45c2-84f3-392603974c5f@googlegroups.com>,
    <macnala0@gmail.com> wrote:
    I have just installed PuTTY 64 bit and am trying to connect to my website. >> I get as far as entering the IP address and port 22 but when I click Open I get a PuTTY fatal error

I perhaps should have stated PuTTY is installed in 64 bit Windows 10, website is GoDaddy cPanel hosted alancameron.me.uk

Windows errors are not very explanatory. This error is a network timeout saying that it has timed out while trying to make a connection.

Either your Windows firewall is blocking port 22, or your router or firewall upstream of your Windows machine is blocking it. Can you ssh to something
    else on your local network successfully?
    --scott
    --
    "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From macnala0@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 15 01:25:43 2019
    Either your Windows firewall is blocking port 22, or your router or firewall upstream of your Windows machine is blocking it. Can you ssh to something else on your local network successfully?

Thanks for the pointer. I have tried but failed to SSH to an instance of XAMPP in a VirtualBox machine running Ubuntu. I tried first from the host machine and then from a LAN connected machine. No joy the same error I then tried switching off the windows
    defender firewall on both the host machine and the LAN connected machine with the same results.

How do I check the routers I have? One acts as a cable modem and the other a downstream router for all my machines locally. I cannot see any way to check them. How do I check the ISP (which seems unlikely as I cannot SSH locally).?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to macnala0@gmail.com on Mon Jul 15 09:24:14 2019
    <macnala0@gmail.com> wrote:
    Either your Windows firewall is blocking port 22, or your router or firew= >all
    upstream of your Windows machine is blocking it. Can you ssh to somethin= >g
    else on your local network successfully?

Thanks for the pointer. I have tried but failed to SSH to an instance of XA= >MPP in a VirtualBox machine running Ubuntu. I tried first from the host mac= >hine and then from a LAN connected machine. No joy the same error I then tr= >ied switching off the windows defender firewall on both the host machine an= >d the LAN connected machine with the same results.

How do I check the routers I have? One acts as a cable modem and the other = >a downstream router for all my machines locally. I cannot see any way to ch= >eck them. How do I check the ISP (which seems unlikely as I cannot SSH loca= >lly).?

If you can't ssh to a local virtual machine, it's on your machine and not
    the outside world. Disable the windows firewall temporarily and see what happens.
    --scott
    --
    "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From macnala0@gmail.com@21:1/5 to macn...@gmail.com on Tue Jul 16 01:27:28 2019

I have discovered the problem - the Windows Defender Firewall. It was stopping all connections. I have successfully connected to a local instance of XAMPP on Ubuntu VM and did manage one connection to the target site but there is still a problem defining
    the rules to allow PuTTY traffic through the internet i.e. Public network. I am working on it so I call that a success thanks to your prompt to check locally first. Thanks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05