• NonStop on Intel Architecture Info

From MojoMan@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 1 17:48:51 2023
    Hi, I'm not a user of any NonStop kit, I'm just a nerd interested in it.

I was wondering if there is something like the Tandem Technical reports, but for x86 for how 'redundancy is handled'.

I gather that it's Nonstop running on standard HPE servers, connected by Infinniband to Clustered I/O modules, which are standard HPE servers running a custom version of Linux.

I was wondering if there is more information on this. E.G. ported Enscribe over to Linux. Is the "Disk Process" running on the CLIM?

Also, for licensing, it says say 1 or 2 or X NonStop CPUs, I assume that's a "logical" CPU, but is it multiple cores, or dual sockets, or multiple servers, and do they run sort of in lockstep, but with checks put into the compiler like on Itanium.

Just curious, thanks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From gcav@21:1/5 to MojoMan on Fri Nov 3 18:09:49 2023
    This might help...

google for
    "NonStop® Advanced Architecture
    David Bernick, Bill Bruckert, Paul Del Vigna, David Garcia,
    Robert Jardine, Jim Klecka, Jim Smullen
    Hewlett Packard Company
    David.Bernick, Bill.Bruckert, Paul.DelVigna, Dave.Garcia, Robert.Jardine, Jim.Klecka, Jim.Smullen
    "
    and related

gc

On Wednesday, November 1, 2023 at 6:48:53 PM UTC-6, MojoMan wrote:
    Hi, I'm not a user of any NonStop kit, I'm just a nerd interested in it.

I was wondering if there is something like the Tandem Technical reports, but for x86 for how 'redundancy is handled'.

I gather that it's Nonstop running on standard HPE servers, connected by Infinniband to Clustered I/O modules, which are standard HPE servers running a custom version of Linux.

I was wondering if there is more information on this. E.G. ported Enscribe over to Linux. Is the "Disk Process" running on the CLIM?

Also, for licensing, it says say 1 or 2 or X NonStop CPUs, I assume that's a "logical" CPU, but is it multiple cores, or dual sockets, or multiple servers, and do they run sort of in lockstep, but with checks put into the compiler like on Itanium.

Just curious, thanks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MojoMan@21:1/5 to gcav on Sat Nov 4 16:01:40 2023
    On Friday, November 3, 2023 at 9:09:51 PM UTC-4, gcav wrote:
    This might help...

google for
    "NonStop® Advanced Architecture
    David Bernick, Bill Bruckert, Paul Del Vigna, David Garcia,
    Robert Jardine, Jim Klecka, Jim Smullen
    Hewlett Packard Company
    David.Bernick, Bill.Bruckert, Paul.DelVigna, Dave.Garcia, Robert.Jardine, Jim.Klecka, Jim.Smullen
    "
    and related

Interesting. thanks. I assume the same basic structure remains with Nonstop-X, just with x86 as opposed to Itanium?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05