• How to achieve record chaining with enscribe... for integrity. Suggesti

From Keerthi G@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 17 09:35:32 2021
    Hi, can anyone suggest how to do record chaining with hash value of previous record for integrity. Suggestions needed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Randall@21:1/5 to keerth...@gmail.com on Wed Feb 17 11:08:51 2021
    On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 12:35:33 p.m. UTC-5, keerth...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hi, can anyone suggest how to do record chaining with hash value of previous record for integrity. Suggestions needed

I'm not sure what your requirements truly are here. Could you clarify? Do you have absolute control of access to the ENSCRIBE files through a front end program? ENSCRIBE has no capability (to my knowledge) to enforce what you are asking for within the
    GUARDIAN APIs. If you want any kind of inter-record consistency, you should be looking at SQL/MP or SQL/MX.

Cheers,
    Randall

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Keerthi G@21:1/5 to Randall on Wed Feb 17 17:37:34 2021
    On Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 12:38:53 AM UTC+5:30, Randall wrote:
    On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 12:35:33 p.m. UTC-5, keerth...@gmail.com wrote:
    I'm not sure what your requirements truly are here. Could you clarify? Do you have absolute control of access to the ENSCRIBE files through a front end program? ENSCRIBE has no capability (to my knowledge) to enforce what you are asking for within the
    GUARDIAN APIs. If you want any kind of inter-record consistency, you should be looking at SQL/MP or SQL/MX.

Cheers,
    Randall
    Hi, yes I mean to access the Enscribe file with a standalone program.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Randall@21:1/5 to keerth...@gmail.com on Thu Feb 18 11:06:04 2021
    On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 8:37:35 p.m. UTC-5, keerth...@gmail.com wrote:
    I'm not sure what your requirements truly are here. Could you clarify? Do you have absolute control of access to the ENSCRIBE files through a front end program? ENSCRIBE has no capability (to my knowledge) to enforce what you are asking for within
    the GUARDIAN APIs. If you want any kind of inter-record consistency, you should be looking at SQL/MP or SQL/MX.

Cheers,
    Randall

Great, but are you wanting to depend on the operating system to enforce content rules for your ENSCRIBE files?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Keith Dick@21:1/5 to Randall on Fri Feb 19 12:21:15 2021
    On Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 11:06:06 AM UTC-8, Randall wrote:
    On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 8:37:35 p.m. UTC-5, keerth...@gmail.com wrote:
    I'm not sure what your requirements truly are here. Could you clarify? Do you have absolute control of access to the ENSCRIBE files through a front end program? ENSCRIBE has no capability (to my knowledge) to enforce what you are asking for within
    the GUARDIAN APIs. If you want any kind of inter-record consistency, you should be looking at SQL/MP or SQL/MX.

Cheers,
    Randall
    Great, but are you wanting to depend on the operating system to enforce content rules for your ENSCRIBE files?

If I were concerned about insuring integrity of the records in a file, my thought would be to include the hash of the record as a field of the record itself. I don't understand your reference to "record chaining". Do you mean you want to be able to
    find the previous record by using the hash value of that previous record? Would Enscribe's ability to set the positioning mode for accessing a file to read in the reverse direction not provide what you need?

In a situation like this, my first impulse is to ask what problem are you trying to solve. Don't ask me about solutions until you have described the problem.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05