• SQL Eroor 8100 - Need Help

From =?UTF-8?B?QWRhbSDigJxBZGFtbGl2aW5sa@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 4 06:57:30 2022
    Hello Everyone

I am getting SQL error 8100 on a FETCH in a Cobol program. It's sales history table so it has millions of record. The record has a sequence number as a part of the key, SEQ-NUM = 1 indicate the current month record.

On the beginning of each month, after fetching the record, program will do MAX (SEQ-NUM) and reinsert the record with the highest SEQ-NUM, it.

It looks like these insert while FETCHING causes SQL 8100.

My coworker suggested to close the cursor and reopen it after each read/insert (after saving the position of record).

The table has ~1 million records and just did not think open and close the cursor a million times is the best approach. Any idea how to process these kind of history.

Any idea on how to properly process these records other than close and reopen for each record will be highly appreciated.

Cursor:
    EXEC SQL
    DECLARE GET_SALES_HISTORY CURSOR FOR
    SELECT
    WARE
    , PART_NUM
    , REPORT_DATE
    ,SALES
    FROM =HISTORY
    WHERE SEQ_NUM = 1
    BROWSE ACCESS
    END-EXEC.
    /

PROCEDURE DIVISION.
    EXEC SQL
    FETCH GET_HISTORY
    INTO :WARE
    ,:PART-NUM
    ,:REPORT-DATE TYPE AS DATETIME YEAR TO MONTH
    ,:SALES
    END-EXEC
    IF SQLCODE = 0
    MOVE REPORT-DATE O TO HV-REPORT-DATE
    IF HV-REPORT-DATE-MM NOT = SYS-MM
    EXEC SQL
    SELECT MAX(SEQ-NUM)
    INTO :HV-MAX-SEQ-NUM
    FROM =HISTORY
    WHERE WARE = :WARE
    AND PART_NUM = :PART-NUM
    BROWSE ACCESS
    END-EXEC
    IF SQLCODE = 0
    ADD 1 TO HV-MAX-SEQ-NUM
    EXEC SQL
    INSERT INTO =HISTORY
    ( WARE
    , PART_NUM
    , MAX_SEQ_NUM
    , REPORT_DATE
    , SALES
    )
    VALUES
    ( :WARE
    ,:HV-MAX-SEQ-NUM
    )
    END-EXEC
    END-IF
    END-IF
    END-IF

EXIT-SECTION
    EXIT

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Randall@21:1/5 to abol...@gmail.com on Sun Dec 4 11:56:08 2022
    On Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 9:57:31 a.m. UTC-5, abol...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hello Everyone

I am getting SQL error 8100 on a FETCH in a Cobol program. It's sales history table so it has millions of record. The record has a sequence number as a part of the key, SEQ-NUM = 1 indicate the current month record.

On the beginning of each month, after fetching the record, program will do MAX (SEQ-NUM) and reinsert the record with the highest SEQ-NUM, it.

My coworker suggested to close the cursor and reopen it after each read/insert (after saving the position of record).

The table has ~1 million records and just did not think open and close the cursor a million times is the best approach. Any idea how to process these kind of history.

Any idea on how to properly process these records other than close and reopen for each record will be highly appreciated.

Cursor:
    EXEC SQL
    SELECT
    WARE
    , PART_NUM
    , REPORT_DATE
    ,SALES
    FROM =HISTORY
    WHERE SEQ_NUM = 1
    BROWSE ACCESS
    END-EXEC.
    /

PROCEDURE DIVISION.
    EXEC SQL
    FETCH GET_HISTORY
    END-EXEC
    IF SQLCODE = 0
    EXEC SQL
    SELECT MAX(SEQ-NUM)
    FROM =HISTORY
    BROWSE ACCESS
    END-EXEC
    IF SQLCODE = 0
    ADD 1 TO HV-MAX-SEQ-NUM
    EXEC SQL
    INSERT INTO =HISTORY
    ( WARE
    , PART_NUM
    , MAX_SEQ_NUM
    , REPORT_DATE
    , SALES
    )
    VALUES
    )
    END-EXEC
    END-IF
    END-IF
    END-IF

EXIT-SECTION
    EXIT

First, you need to worry about TMF or SQL transactions in all this. That's always a consideration.

Second, your INSERT should embed the SELECT so that you can do the insert within a single SQL operation, which will make the operation more efficient and within one transaction. Something like:
    BEGIN WORK;
    INSERT INTO =HISTORY
    ( WARE
    , PART_NUM
    , MAX_SEQ_NUM
    , REPORT_DATE
    , SALES
    )
    VALUES
    , :PART-NUM
    (SELECT MAX(SEQ-NUM)
    FROM =HISTORY
    AND PART_NUM = :PART-NUM)
    )
    COMMIT WORK;

or something along those lines. You may need to use multiple correlation ids and multiple host variables. This does work in SQL/MX, but I'm not sure about SQL/MP (it's been a while).

-Randall

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Keith Dick@21:1/5 to Randall on Mon Dec 5 07:45:47 2022
    On Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 11:56:09 AM UTC-8, Randall wrote:
    Hello Everyone

Cursor:
    EXEC SQL
    SELECT
    WARE
    , PART_NUM
    , REPORT_DATE
    ,SALES
    FROM =HISTORY
    WHERE SEQ_NUM = 1
    BROWSE ACCESS
    END-EXEC.
    /

PROCEDURE DIVISION.
    EXEC SQL
    FETCH GET_HISTORY
    END-EXEC
    IF SQLCODE = 0
    EXEC SQL
    SELECT MAX(SEQ-NUM)
    FROM =HISTORY
    BROWSE ACCESS
    END-EXEC
    IF SQLCODE = 0
    ADD 1 TO HV-MAX-SEQ-NUM
    EXEC SQL
    INSERT INTO =HISTORY
    ( WARE
    , PART_NUM
    , MAX_SEQ_NUM
    , REPORT_DATE
    , SALES
    )
    VALUES
    )
    END-EXEC
    END-IF
    END-IF
    END-IF

EXIT-SECTION
    EXIT
    First, you need to worry about TMF or SQL transactions in all this. That's always a consideration.

Second, your INSERT should embed the SELECT so that you can do the insert within a single SQL operation, which will make the operation more efficient and within one transaction. Something like:
    BEGIN WORK;
    INSERT INTO =HISTORY
    ( WARE
    , PART_NUM
    , MAX_SEQ_NUM
    , REPORT_DATE
    , SALES
    )
    VALUES
    (SELECT MAX(SEQ-NUM)
    FROM =HISTORY
    )
    COMMIT WORK;

or something along those lines. You may need to use multiple correlation ids and multiple host variables. This does work in SQL/MX, but I'm not sure about SQL/MP (it's been a while).

-Randall

I am assuming SQL/MP.
    I am assuming the line FETCH GET_HISTORY should be FETCH GET_SALES_HISTORY, since GET_SALES_HISTORY is the name
    given for the cursor.
    I am assuming that in the line MOVE REPORT-DATE O TO HV-REPORT-DATE , the O standing by itself is a typo and should not be there.

The error 8100 reports that the SQLIN structure passed to the executor for the given statement is invalid. The usual way that happens is that the program contains an error that makes it write into data space that is outside of its declared variables,
    accidently overwriting the SQLIN structure for the SQL statement mentioned. This can happen with subscripts out of range when accessing a COBOL table, or passing a variable to a subprogram that is shorter than the subprogram expects, and possibly in
    other ways I am not thinking of right now. If you have not carefully checked your program for that kind of error, try to look into that possibility.

If there is some sequence of executing SQL statements that can cause error 8100 to occur, I am not aware of that. There seems not to be any mention of that in the Considerations for the description in the SQL/MP Reference manual of the statements you
    show in your partial program. Your program appears to be inserting into the same table that has an open cursor, which raises the possibility that this would invalidate the cursor, but there seems not to be any warning about that in the manual, and if
    that was, in fact, the cause of the problem, I would expect a different error message, since that would be invalidating the cursor, not causing the SQLIN structure passed to the executor to be overwritten.

If you do not find the problem fairly quickly, my suggestion would be to create a test program that contains the bare minimum additional code beyond what you showed, that will perform the logic of scanning the table and inserting the records from the
    current month back into the table with a new sequence number. If that small test program works (on test data, of course), that would be a strong indication that your large program is writing into storage outside your declared variables, and you'll need
    to look more carefully to find where it is doing so.

Assuming you can run the large program in Inspect, you could set a write access breakpoint on the start of the SQLIN structure for the FETCH statement and let Inspect help you find where the overwrite is coming from. I know I have seen a description
    somewhere about how to find the location of the structures passed to the executor for a given SQL statement. It might be in the SQL/MP Programming manual for COBOL, but I'm not sure that is where I saw it. Someone else who sees this comment might
    remember more clearly that I do where it is described.

If you create the small test program I described two paragraphs back, and it get the error 8100, a way to solve the program might be to change the cursor to allow updates and use UPDATE ... WHERE CURRENT to update the records to change their sequence
    number. If your program still needs those records to be present with the sequence number of 1, maybe you could insert them into another table before doing the UPDATE, and have the rest of the program access them from that other table.

Good luck!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Keith Dick@21:1/5 to abol...@gmail.com on Tue Dec 6 13:13:44 2022
    On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 12:40:54 PM UTC-8, abol...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, December 5, 2022 at 7:45:49 AM UTC-8, rkd...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hello Everyone

Cursor:
    EXEC SQL
    SELECT
    WARE
    , PART_NUM
    , REPORT_DATE
    ,SALES
    FROM =HISTORY
    WHERE SEQ_NUM = 1
    BROWSE ACCESS
    END-EXEC.
    /

PROCEDURE DIVISION.
    EXEC SQL
    FETCH GET_HISTORY
    END-EXEC
    IF SQLCODE = 0
    EXEC SQL
    SELECT MAX(SEQ-NUM)
    FROM =HISTORY
    BROWSE ACCESS
    END-EXEC
    IF SQLCODE = 0
    ADD 1 TO HV-MAX-SEQ-NUM
    EXEC SQL
    INSERT INTO =HISTORY
    ( WARE
    , PART_NUM
    , MAX_SEQ_NUM
    , REPORT_DATE
    , SALES
    )
    VALUES
    )
    END-EXEC
    END-IF
    END-IF
    END-IF

EXIT-SECTION
    EXIT

BEGIN WORK;
    INSERT INTO =HISTORY
    ( WARE
    , PART_NUM
    , MAX_SEQ_NUM
    , REPORT_DATE
    , SALES
    )
    VALUES
    (SELECT MAX(SEQ-NUM)
    FROM =HISTORY
    )
    COMMIT WORK;

-Randall
    I am assuming SQL/MP.
    I am assuming the line FETCH GET_HISTORY should be FETCH GET_SALES_HISTORY, since GET_SALES_HISTORY is the name
    given for the cursor.
    I am assuming that in the line MOVE REPORT-DATE O TO HV-REPORT-DATE , the O standing by itself is a typo and should not be there.

The error 8100 reports that the SQLIN structure passed to the executor for the given statement is invalid. The usual way that happens is that the program contains an error that makes it write into data space that is outside of its declared variables,
    accidently overwriting the SQLIN structure for the SQL statement mentioned. This can happen with subscripts out of range when accessing a COBOL table, or passing a variable to a subprogram that is shorter than the subprogram expects, and possibly in
    other ways I am not thinking of right now. If you have not carefully checked your program for that kind of error, try to look into that possibility.

If there is some sequence of executing SQL statements that can cause error 8100 to occur, I am not aware of that. There seems not to be any mention of that in the Considerations for the description in the SQL/MP Reference manual of the statements you
    show in your partial program. Your program appears to be inserting into the same table that has an open cursor, which raises the possibility that this would invalidate the cursor, but there seems not to be any warning about that in the manual, and if
    that was, in fact, the cause of the problem, I would expect a different error message, since that would be invalidating the cursor, not causing the SQLIN structure passed to the executor to be overwritten.

If you do not find the problem fairly quickly, my suggestion would be to create a test program that contains the bare minimum additional code beyond what you showed, that will perform the logic of scanning the table and inserting the records from the
    current month back into the table with a new sequence number. If that small test program works (on test data, of course), that would be a strong indication that your large program is writing into storage outside your declared variables, and you'll need

Assuming you can run the large program in Inspect, you could set a write access breakpoint on the start of the SQLIN structure for the FETCH statement and let Inspect help you find where the overwrite is coming from. I know I have seen a description
    somewhere about how to find the location of the structures passed to the executor for a given SQL statement. It might be in the SQL/MP Programming manual for COBOL, but I'm not sure that is where I saw it. Someone else who sees this comment might

If you create the small test program I described two paragraphs back, and it get the error 8100, a way to solve the program might be to change the cursor to allow updates and use UPDATE ... WHERE CURRENT to update the records to change their sequence
    number. If your program still needs those records to be present with the sequence number of 1, maybe you could insert them into another table before doing the UPDATE, and have the rest of the program access them from that other table.

Good luck!
    Thank you so much for your help. It turned our to be a Cobol table subscript issue that was writing out of the table range.
    By just enlarging the table, issue was resolved. Thanks again for your time and help!

You are welcome. I am glad that my comments helped. And thank you for posting to tell us how you solved the problem.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?B?QWRhbSDigJxBZGFtbGl2aW5sa@21:1/5 to rkd...@gmail.com on Tue Dec 6 12:40:52 2022
    On Monday, December 5, 2022 at 7:45:49 AM UTC-8, rkd...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hello Everyone

Cursor:
    EXEC SQL
    SELECT
    WARE
    , PART_NUM
    , REPORT_DATE
    ,SALES
    FROM =HISTORY
    WHERE SEQ_NUM = 1
    BROWSE ACCESS
    END-EXEC.
    /

PROCEDURE DIVISION.
    EXEC SQL
    FETCH GET_HISTORY
    END-EXEC
    IF SQLCODE = 0
    EXEC SQL
    SELECT MAX(SEQ-NUM)
    FROM =HISTORY
    BROWSE ACCESS
    END-EXEC
    IF SQLCODE = 0
    ADD 1 TO HV-MAX-SEQ-NUM
    EXEC SQL
    INSERT INTO =HISTORY
    ( WARE
    , PART_NUM
    , MAX_SEQ_NUM
    , REPORT_DATE
    , SALES
    )
    VALUES
    )
    END-EXEC
    END-IF
    END-IF
    END-IF

EXIT-SECTION
    EXIT

BEGIN WORK;
    INSERT INTO =HISTORY
    ( WARE
    , PART_NUM
    , MAX_SEQ_NUM
    , REPORT_DATE
    , SALES
    )
    VALUES
    (SELECT MAX(SEQ-NUM)
    FROM =HISTORY
    )
    COMMIT WORK;

-Randall
    I am assuming SQL/MP.
    given for the cursor.

Good luck!
    Thank you so much for your help. It turned our to be a Cobol table subscript issue that was writing out of the table range.
    By just enlarging the table, issue was resolved. Thanks again for your time and help!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05