• SQLCI Checking for special characters in Alphanumeric field

From Adam Kamal@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 12 11:54:48 2021
    A question from Enscribe guy to all SQL experts out there.

I have an address data field and was trying to write a SQL query to find records that have special characters in this address field.

Special characters may include backspace , newline (linefeed), carriage return or a tab characters.

Is there a SQL function can be used. I looked into STRING but it does not seem it will provide the desired outcome. Thanks in advance for your time.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Randall@21:1/5 to abol...@gmail.com on Sat Nov 13 18:24:18 2021
    On Friday, November 12, 2021 at 2:54:49 p.m. UTC-5, abol...@gmail.com wrote:
    A question from Enscribe guy to all SQL experts out there.

I have an address data field and was trying to write a SQL query to find records that have special characters in this address field.

Special characters may include backspace , newline (linefeed), carriage return or a tab characters.

Is there a SQL function can be used. I looked into STRING but it does not seem it will provide the desired outcome. Thanks in advance for your time.

I'm not sure how to inject a special character in SQLCI, but a simple C program to do this would set a host variable to the ASCII character you want and then use a SELECT ... WHERE POSITION(:charhv in field) > 0 or some such statement might work for you.
    -Randall

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)