• ITUGLIB Update: GMake 4.3g3

From Randall@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 17 06:52:45 2021
    Hi Everyone,

ITUGLIB has been keeping me busy these days. Between OpenSSL and Curl reports - there will be a minor Curl bug fix coming around Sept 23rd that looks like it has limited or no NonStop impact. Anyway, to the point...

GMAKE 4.3g3 is now available for L-series and J-series.

Defect fixed:
    * The TOS_VERSION was not being initialized correct - this has been corrected.

Enhancements:
    * The TOS_VERSION_FULL variable has been added. Example: L20.10.00
    * The $(vcompare x,y) function has been added to compare two version strings. This will compare standard version strings, like 1.5.1, RVU strings and ECLIPSE-style version numbers so your Makefile can account for different instructions depending on the
    operating system release - useful in a CI/CD situation where your Test/Release machine is different than your Dev machine.

The online manual for this version is available here: https://github.com/ituglib/gmake/blob/b7978505afcf010c72db21031b9bbbe7fcee7c5b/MANUAL.md

The issue tracking system for GMake is also available on GitHub at https://github.com/ituglib/gmake/issues

Regards,
    Randall Becker
    On behalf of the ITUGLIB Technical Committee

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From wilsonjohna@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Randall on Mon Oct 18 08:06:15 2021
    Hi Randall -

I am new to using GMAKE, and appreciate these updates! I have a question regarding the tool that I did not see mentioned in the manual.

I am attempting to pass variables into the build (primarily certain SUBVOL names). Under OSS, I am able to use the "-D" option to pass in directives from the command line.

I see mentioned in the manual that the use of using PARAMS and ASSIGNS is available in the newer versions. It looks like the version of the tool included by HPE as part of the OS install/update on my system is 3.77.

With that said, I am curious if there is an easy way to pass variables into the build, or if I would need to upgrade to a newer version to gain that capability?

Thanks,
    John Wilson

On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 9:52:46 AM UTC-4, Randall wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

ITUGLIB has been keeping me busy these days. Between OpenSSL and Curl reports - there will be a minor Curl bug fix coming around Sept 23rd that looks like it has limited or no NonStop impact. Anyway, to the point...

Defect fixed:

Enhancements:
    * The $(vcompare x,y) function has been added to compare two version strings. This will compare standard version strings, like 1.5.1, RVU strings and ECLIPSE-style version numbers so your Makefile can account for different instructions depending on the
    operating system release - useful in a CI/CD situation where your Test/Release machine is different than your Dev machine.

The online manual for this version is available here: https://github.com/ituglib/gmake/blob/b7978505afcf010c72db21031b9bbbe7fcee7c5b/MANUAL.md

The issue tracking system for GMake is also available on GitHub at https://github.com/ituglib/gmake/issues

Regards,
    Randall Becker

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Randall@21:1/5 to wilso...@gmail.com on Tue Oct 19 07:08:53 2021
    On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 11:06:16 a.m. UTC-4, wilso...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hi Randall -

I am new to using GMAKE, and appreciate these updates! I have a question regarding the tool that I did not see mentioned in the manual.

I am attempting to pass variables into the build (primarily certain SUBVOL names). Under OSS, I am able to use the "-D" option to pass in directives from the command line.

I see mentioned in the manual that the use of using PARAMS and ASSIGNS is available in the newer versions. It looks like the version of the tool included by HPE as part of the OS install/update on my system is 3.77.

With that said, I am curious if there is an easy way to pass variables into the build, or if I would need to upgrade to a newer version to gain that capability?

Thanks,
    John Wilson
    Hi Everyone,

Defect fixed:

Enhancements:
    * The $(vcompare x,y) function has been added to compare two version strings. This will compare standard version strings, like 1.5.1, RVU strings and ECLIPSE-style version numbers so your Makefile can account for different instructions depending on
    the operating system release - useful in a CI/CD situation where your Test/Release machine is different than your Dev machine.

Regards,
    Randall Becker

Hi John,

You can pass variables the same way as with the OSS make - which is based on GNU Make 4.2. The proper way is to do something like this:

GMAKE target VAR1=$A.B VAR2=Something

ITUGLIB has taken over support for GMAKE from HPE. Version 4.3g3 from ITUGLIB is based on GNU Make 4.3 and is an upgrade with fixes from the original GNU Make 3.77 code base with mods for GUARDIAN. The ITUGLIB version also supports GUARDIAN DEFINEs,
    which GMAKE 3.77 did not.

Regards,
    Randall

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From wilsonjohna@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Randall on Wed Oct 20 11:37:28 2021
    On Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 10:08:54 AM UTC-4, Randall wrote:
    On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 11:06:16 a.m. UTC-4, wilso...@*****.com wrote:
    Hi Randall -

Thanks,
    John Wilson
    Hi Everyone,

Defect fixed:

Enhancements:
    * The $(vcompare x,y) function has been added to compare two version strings. This will compare standard version strings, like 1.5.1, RVU strings and ECLIPSE-style version numbers so your Makefile can account for different instructions depending on
    the operating system release - useful in a CI/CD situation where your Test/Release machine is different than your Dev machine.

Regards,
    Randall Becker
    Hi John,

You can pass variables the same way as with the OSS make - which is based on GNU Make 4.2. The proper way is to do something like this:

GMAKE target VAR1=$A.B VAR2=Something

ITUGLIB has taken over support for GMAKE from HPE. Version 4.3g3 from ITUGLIB is based on GNU Make 4.3 and is an upgrade with fixes from the original GNU Make 3.77 code base with mods for GUARDIAN. The ITUGLIB version also supports GUARDIAN DEFINEs,
    which GMAKE 3.77 did not.

Regards,
    Randall

Thanks Randall! That was the information I needed, and I am able to pass the variables into the build now.

Much appreciated!

Regards,
    John Wilson

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05