• ITUGLIB Update: Prepare for OpenSSL 3.0.0a

From Randall@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 30 12:56:30 2021
    Hi Everyone,

We are a week or four (I'm not sure) away from the official OpenSSL 3.0.0a release. This release has some structural changes allowing the code to take up less space on your system if you run multiple memory models. The variant code will drop into the
    following lib directory:

/usr/local-ssl3.0/lib - 32-bit unthreaded
    /usr/local-ssl3.0/lib64 - 64-bit unthreaded
    /usr/local-ssl3.0/lib-spt - 32-bit SPT
    /usr/local-ssl3.0/lib64-put - 64-bit PUT

There is also a ./providers area that is also similarly named.

This will allow the common stuff, like header files, certificates, and man pages, to reside in common directories. The only catch is that there is only one bin directory for now so your last install will be the model you use for the openssl application -
    I have contributed a change that should fix that (PR#16472 if you are monitoring). This particular change was done to make NonStop comply with Linux implementations and allow other Open-Source packages to find the correct OpenSSL libraries, which they
    currently do not do.

More to come.

Randall Becker
    On Behalf of the ITUGLIB Technical Committee.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Randall@21:1/5 to Randall on Tue Aug 31 12:02:31 2021
    On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 3:56:31 p.m. UTC-4, Randall wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

We are a week or four (I'm not sure) away from the official OpenSSL 3.0.0a release. This release has some structural changes allowing the code to take up less space on your system if you run multiple memory models. The variant code will drop into the
    following lib directory:

This will allow the common stuff, like header files, certificates, and man pages, to reside in common directories. The only catch is that there is only one bin directory for now so your last install will be the model you use for the openssl application
    - I have contributed a change that should fix that (PR#16472 if you are monitoring). This particular change was done to make NonStop comply with Linux implementations and allow other Open-Source packages to find the correct OpenSSL libraries, which they
    currently do not do.

More to come.

Randall Becker

As a quick update, the OpenSSL team has just branched off the 3.0.0 release and 3.1.0 release in the OpenSSL GitHub repository. This represents a major milestone in moving forward in the very short term to announce 3.0.0a.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Randall@21:1/5 to Randall on Wed Sep 1 05:49:06 2021
    On Tuesday, August 31, 2021 at 3:02:32 p.m. UTC-4, Randall wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

following lib directory:

This will allow the common stuff, like header files, certificates, and man pages, to reside in common directories. The only catch is that there is only one bin directory for now so your last install will be the model you use for the openssl
    application - I have contributed a change that should fix that (PR#16472 if you are monitoring). This particular change was done to make NonStop comply with Linux implementations and allow other Open-Source packages to find the correct OpenSSL libraries,
    which they currently do not do.

More to come.

Randall Becker
    As a quick update, the OpenSSL team has just branched off the 3.0.0 release and 3.1.0 release in the OpenSSL GitHub repository. This represents a major milestone in moving forward in the very short term to announce 3.0.0a.

Assuming everything goes well in the next week, the scheduled release date for OpenSSL 3.0.0a is 2021-Sept-07. Because of the size and build/test time, you should anticipate that the release will should make it to the ITUGLIB website on Sept 8th at some
    point - again, according to plan.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Randall@21:1/5 to Randall on Tue Sep 7 12:11:24 2021
    On Wednesday, September 1, 2021 at 8:49:07 a.m. UTC-4, Randall wrote:
    On Tuesday, August 31, 2021 at 3:02:32 p.m. UTC-4, Randall wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

We are a week or four (I'm not sure) away from the official OpenSSL 3.0.0a release. This release has some structural changes allowing the code to take up less space on your system if you run multiple memory models. The variant code will drop into
    the following lib directory:

This will allow the common stuff, like header files, certificates, and man pages, to reside in common directories. The only catch is that there is only one bin directory for now so your last install will be the model you use for the openssl
    application - I have contributed a change that should fix that (PR#16472 if you are monitoring). This particular change was done to make NonStop comply with Linux implementations and allow other Open-Source packages to find the correct OpenSSL libraries,
    which they currently do not do.

More to come.

Randall Becker
    Assuming everything goes well in the next week, the scheduled release date for OpenSSL 3.0.0a is 2021-Sept-07. Because of the size and build/test time, you should anticipate that the release will should make it to the ITUGLIB website on Sept 8th at
    some point - again, according to plan.

The OpenSSL team has released version 3.0.0 - note that there is no 'a' at the end. I'm uncertain at this point whether the next bug-fix version will end up being 3.0.1 or 3.0.0a. The version is currently with Jenkins at ITUGLIB for a full build/test/
    deploy cycle of the above planned builds. I will send out a separate thread when the version has been deployed to the website.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05