• git 2.32.0 Released!

From Randall@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 10 08:21:03 2021
    Hi Everyone,

git 2.32.0 is now on the ITUGLIB website for TNS/X and TNS/E.

This release fixes the fsync() issue I found last week in 2.31.x. Please upgrade urgently to this release if you are on 2.31.x.

Note: Next up on my list will be trying to integrate the OpenSSL 3.0.0 beta with git - that should be fun.

Regards,
    Randall Becker
    On behalf of the ITUGLIB Technical Committee.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Randall@21:1/5 to Randall on Thu Jun 10 12:11:18 2021
    On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 11:21:05 a.m. UTC-4, Randall wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

git 2.32.0 is now on the ITUGLIB website for TNS/X and TNS/E.

This release fixes the fsync() issue I found last week in 2.31.x. Please upgrade urgently to this release if you are on 2.31.x.

Note: Next up on my list will be trying to integrate the OpenSSL 3.0.0 beta with git - that should be fun.

Regards,
    Randall Becker
    On behalf of the ITUGLIB Technical Committee.

For those who have not see it, the fsync() issue relates to a call to the fsync() OSS library call, that flushes some information to the file system from process memory by git when it is packing large objects. This happens notably during garbage
    collection operations, like git gc. fsync() gets an interrupted condition (EINTR) when things take a while - rather common. The failure does not appear to cause any actual integrity problems from what I could tell - it happened to me during a git gc --
    aggressive operation on the OpenSSL repository, which is pretty massive. After the EINTR, the repository was fine and still fully functional.

Please upgrade ASAP if you have large repositories. Note that there may be other operations impacted by this, including git push when the commits are large. This situation only appears to impact 2.31.x series git, so if you are on 2.30.x, you should not
    encounter this, but miss out on some really cool new functions that were introduced at 2.31, like background gc.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)