• ERROR 250 on FUP DUP to another Node

From Bry Pas@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 16 14:35:21 2021
    Hello everyone,

We are having an error 250 (All paths to the system are down) while transferring files from one node to another. Is it a Network or a System issue?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Keith Dick@21:1/5 to Bry Pas on Sun May 16 19:19:25 2021
    On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 2:35:22 PM UTC-7, Bry Pas wrote:
    Hello everyone,

We are having an error 250 (All paths to the system are down) while transferring files from one node to another. Is it a Network or a System issue?

I don't remember whether there is a different error for system down.

Do you know whether the Expand paths in your network are carried via TCP/IP vs. an old-style leased line or some other old-style way? If you know the Expand paths are carried over TCP/IP, you should be able to learn the IP address of the target system
    and use Linux or Windows tools to look at paths to that system to see whether the paths are up, and maybe whether the system itself is up (or at least whether its TCP/IP handlers are up).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From wbreidbach@21:1/5 to rkd...@gmail.com on Mon May 17 01:48:09 2021
    rkd...@gmail.com schrieb am Montag, 17. Mai 2021 um 04:19:26 UTC+2:
    On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 2:35:22 PM UTC-7, Bry Pas wrote:
    Hello everyone,

I don't remember whether there is a different error for system down.

Do you know whether the Expand paths in your network are carried via TCP/IP vs. an old-style leased line or some other old-style way? If you know the Expand paths are carried over TCP/IP, you should be able to learn the IP address of the target system
    and use Linux or Windows tools to look at paths to that system to see whether the paths are up, and maybe whether the system itself is up (or at least whether its TCP/IP handlers are up).
    Error 250 just says that there is no way to reach the target system from the local system. The reason can be either a network problem or a problem with the target system. You can use SCF INFO PROCESS $NCP, NETMAP to see all systems you can reach from
    your local system.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Randall@21:1/5 to Bry Pas on Mon May 17 11:39:51 2021
    On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 5:35:22 p.m. UTC-4, Bry Pas wrote:
    Hello everyone,

I hate to ask... is your EXPAND network running over a public IP network? I do not a few customers who do this. I saw error 250 (pretty sure, it was a decade ago) resulting from transient router problems on the upstream network.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill Honaker@21:1/5 to Bry Pas on Mon May 17 15:45:40 2021
    On Sun, 16 May 2021 14:35:21 -0700 (PDT), Bry Pas <bryanpascua88@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello everyone,

Whether your connection is old-fashioned WANs or (more likely these days) TCP/IP, Expand has configurations on those paths for retransmissions and timeouts.
    Those are designed to allow the connections to be resilient to temporary commucations issues.

TCP/IP also has similar settings, with defaults for end-to-end processing. If I recall, the per-session defaults can be overridden in the Expand configuration.

Do you have access to the EMS logs on your system and on the target system? Can you check to see if errors were reported wheny your FUP failed?

You didn't say whether this was a 'constant' failure which never resolves, or an occasional one. Although it's been a very long time since I diagnosed these,
    I seem to remember that it's possible to configure path connection parameters in such a way that large file transfers can cause failures.

Have you reached out to the Systems Administrators to see if they're aware of the failures?

Good luck with this. Please keep us informed with what you learn.

Bill

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bry Pas@21:1/5 to Bill Honaker on Wed May 19 09:18:06 2021
    On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 4:45:42 AM UTC+8, Bill Honaker wrote:
    On Sun, 16 May 2021 14:35:21 -0700 (PDT), Bry Pas <bryanp...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello everyone,

Whether your connection is old-fashioned WANs or (more likely these days) TCP/IP, Expand has configurations on those paths for retransmissions and timeouts.
    Those are designed to allow the connections to be resilient to temporary commucations issues.

TCP/IP also has similar settings, with defaults for end-to-end processing. If I recall, the per-session defaults can be overridden in the Expand configuration.

Do you have access to the EMS logs on your system and on the target system? Can you check to see if errors were reported wheny your FUP failed?

You didn't say whether this was a 'constant' failure which never resolves, or an occasional one. Although it's been a very long time since I diagnosed these,
    I seem to remember that it's possible to configure path connection parameters in such a way that large file transfers can cause failures.

Have you reached out to the Systems Administrators to see if they're aware of the failures?

Good luck with this. Please keep us informed with what you learn.

Bill
    Hello All,

Thank you for your feedback, we just figured out that the issue was actually our link (leased line) going to another node. It went down and our network team have to recover it. Thanks again.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05