• pathsend with timeout -possible ?

From JShepherd@21:1/5 to All on Tue Apr 6 14:47:49 2021
    In article <7be8c155-64c4-45fd-9871-74dc3e4ee5d2n@googlegroups.com>, kilgasto@gmail.com says...

I have the maintenance responsibility for a largeish program which makes PATHSEN
    Ds into an appliation pathway. in case the called program or children
    thereof, A
    bend, no answer is coming (ever),
    the program just sits there. Pathcom reports it running, and to all outward appe
    arences, nothing is wrong. but nothing happens in a big way.

Now, i know my work is now to read and analyse that program together with
    the pa
    thsend programming guide; and i will. But i feel i could save a lot of time, if
    someone could give me a hint? (hopefully OK).

the deal is that I must *time out* on the pathsend call. currently, I obviously
    do not. it makes a whole interface subsystem unresponsive.

So, dare i hope for a hint in this case?

My best,
    Henrik PM

SERVERCLASS_SEND_ has a timeout parameter

INT PROC SERVERCLASS_SEND_ (PATHMON, PATHMONBYTES, SERVERCLASS,
    SERVERCLASSBYTES, MESSAGEBUFFER, REQUESTBYTES,
    MAXIMUMREPLYBYTES, ACTUALREPLYBYTES, TIMEOUT,
    FLAGS, SCSOPERATIONNUMBER, TAG
    ) EXTENSIBLE, CALLABLE;

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?Henrik_Paludan=2DM=C3=B8r@21:1/5 to All on Tue Apr 6 07:16:20 2021
    I have the maintenance responsibility for a largeish program which makes PATHSENDs into an appliation pathway. in case the called program or children thereof, Abend, no answer is coming (ever),
    the program just sits there. Pathcom reports it running, and to all outward appearences, nothing is wrong. but nothing happens in a big way.

Now, i know my work is now to read and analyse that program together with the pathsend programming guide; and i will. But i feel i could save a lot of time, if someone could give me a hint? (hopefully OK).

the deal is that I must *time out* on the pathsend call. currently, I obviously do not. it makes a whole interface subsystem unresponsive.

My best,
    Henrik PM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Keith Dick@21:1/5 to kilg...@gmail.com on Tue Apr 6 14:05:06 2021
    On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 7:16:21 AM UTC-7, kilg...@gmail.com wrote:
    I have the maintenance responsibility for a largeish program which makes PATHSENDs into an appliation pathway. in case the called program or children thereof, Abend, no answer is coming (ever),
    the program just sits there. Pathcom reports it running, and to all outward appearences, nothing is wrong. but nothing happens in a big way.

Now, i know my work is now to read and analyse that program together with the pathsend programming guide; and i will. But i feel i could save a lot of time, if someone could give me a hint? (hopefully OK).

the deal is that I must *time out* on the pathsend call. currently, I obviously do not. it makes a whole interface subsystem unresponsive.

My best,
    Henrik PM

It seems to me that if the process in the serverclass that is the target of the Pathsend you are talking about abended, its Pathmon should have started a new copy of the server process. Either the Pathsend to it should have been retried, or an error
    should have been returned to the Pathsend call that you say has hung. Maybe I'm remembering wrong about how it is supposed to work.

Could it be that the target server process itself has hung? That still would be a problem, but it always is good to understand what actually is happening.

In addition to the timeout argument for the SERVERCLASS_SEND_ call that JShepherd pointed out, the SERVERCLASS object in Pathway has a TIMEOUT attribute. There are some differences in how the timeout in the SERVERCLASS_SEND_ call is handled vs. how the
    TIMEOUT attribute of the serverclass is handled. I suggest you check both to see which is better for your needs. Of course, if you do not have control over the configuration of the target serverclass, you will have to use the timeout argument to
    SERVERCLASS_SEND_

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05