• Time Machine won't back up

From Mel C@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 10 16:54:49 2021
    With my 15 inch laptop running MacOS 10.12.6 and my WD Passport USB external hard disk, Time Machine worked perfectly for the past year. Now an attempted Time Machine backup generates a continuing flashing light on the Passport but no backup. Disk
    Warrior 5.0 on each of the laptop and Passport fixed a few errors, but no fix for the "flashing light but no backup" problem. Any ideas to fix the problem? Thanks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Percival John Hackworth@21:1/5 to Mel C on Sat Dec 11 06:17:44 2021
    On 10-Dec-2021 at 4:54:49PM PST, "Mel C" <melcom4@gmail.com> wrote:

With my 15 inch laptop running MacOS 10.12.6 and my WD Passport USB external hard disk, Time Machine worked perfectly for the past year. Now an attempted Time Machine backup generates a continuing flashing light on the Passport but no backup. Disk Warrior 5.0 on each of the laptop and Passport fixed a few errors, but no fix for the "flashing light but no backup" problem. Any ideas to fix the problem? Thanks.

If the data is important and you can still access it, buy another drive from another brand. I like Hitachi drives but YMMV.
    See if TimeMachine will work with the new drive. If yes, then I suspect the drive or the cable. Try swaping cables and see if the problem happens to the new drive with the old cable. If no problem, then it's up to you if you want
    to keep the old data or if it's OK to wipe old drive and see if it will work with TimeMachine.

If the new drive doesn't work with TimeMachine, I'd buy CarbonCopyCloner and clone your system to the new drive, wipe your system drive and do a new install. Then when the system asks if you want to migrate right after it installs the OS, use your copy on the new drive to restore your configuration.
    You'll clean up a lot of cruft. Does TimeMachine work with the old drive?
    Does it work with the new drive?

These are some of the things I'd try.

--
    DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Your Name@21:1/5 to Mel C on Sat Dec 11 19:44:07 2021
    On 2021-12-11 00:54:49 +0000, Mel C said:

With my 15 inch laptop running MacOS 10.12.6 and my WD Passport USB
    external hard disk, Time Machine worked perfectly for the past year.
    Now an attempted Time Machine backup generates a continuing flashing
    light on the Passport but no backup. Disk Warrior 5.0 on each of the
    laptop and Passport fixed a few errors, but no fix for the "flashing
    light but no backup" problem. Any ideas to fix the problem? Thanks.

Maybe TimeMachine was running out of space on the external drive, so is performing a cleanup, which can take a while, especially on a slow
    connection.

Personally I detest Time Machine and Versions. It's a rather silly
    methodology that keeps multiple old copies of everything, which just
    wastes drive space. I use Carbon Copy Cloner instead.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steven Carrolll 8835@21:1/5 to Percival John Hackworth on Mon Dec 13 04:36:06 2021
    On Friday, December 10, 2021 at 11:17:48 PM UTC-7, Percival John Hackworth wrote:
    On 10-Dec-2021 at 4:54:49PM PST, "Mel C" <mel...@gmail.com> wrote:

With my 15 inch laptop running MacOS 10.12.6 and my WD Passport USB external
    hard disk, Time Machine worked perfectly for the past year. Now an attempted
    Time Machine backup generates a continuing flashing light on the Passport but
    no backup. Disk Warrior 5.0 on each of the laptop and Passport fixed a few errors, but no fix for the "flashing light but no backup" problem. Any ideas
    to fix the problem? Thanks.
    If the data is important and you can still access it, buy another drive from another brand. I like Hitachi drives but YMMV.
    See if TimeMachine will work with the new drive. If yes, then I suspect the drive or the cable. Try swaping cables and see if the problem happens to the new drive with the old cable. If no problem, then it's up to you if you want to keep the old data or if it's OK to wipe old drive and see if it will work with TimeMachine.

If the new drive doesn't work with TimeMachine, I'd buy CarbonCopyCloner and clone your system to the new drive, wipe your system drive and do a new install. Then when the system asks if you want to migrate right after it installs the OS, use your copy on the new drive to restore your configuration.
    You'll clean up a lot of cruft. Does TimeMachine work with the old drive? Does it work with the new drive?

These are some of the things I'd try.

--
    DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee...

Shadow must know that Snit can go get FileMaker, right, sicko? And, of
    course, anyone can can set a KF, which renders *his* usenet group attack meaningless, just like Shadow ;) Amusingly, Shadow essentially asked Snit
    for the site that calls out his lies. The image of another one of Shadow's faked accounts, no doubt. At some point Snit will realize his 'companion'
    is yanking him around. I think Shadow does not even know what is wrong
    with Breitbart. Shadow must grasp everyone knows he is just trolling!

You are quick as a tuna on ice.

--
    What Every Entrepreneur Must Know https://www.linkedin.com/in/michael-glasser-86860011 <https://youtu.be/xRvaRLlb3b8>
    https://www.udemy.com/user/michael-glasser/
    Dustin Cook is a functional illiterate fraud

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05