• Re: Apple, Google & Microsoft want to kill the password with Passkey st

From YK@21:1/5 to NewsKrawler on Thu May 5 23:04:31 2022
    On 5/5/22 7:44 PM, NewsKrawler wrote:
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/05/apple-google-and-microsoft-want-bluetooth-proximity-to-replace-the-password/
    Apple, Google & Microsoft want to kill the password with Passkey standard

Apple, Google, and Microsoft are launching a "joint effort" to kill the password.

The major OS vendors want to "expand support for a common passwordless sign-in standard created by the FIDO Alliance and the World Wide Web Consortium."

The standard is being called either a "multi-device FIDO credential" or
    just a "passkey."

Instead of a long string of characters, this new scheme would have the app
    or website you're logging in to push a request to your phone for authentication. From there, you'd need to unlock the phone, authenticate
    with some kind of pin or biometric, and then you're on your way.

This sounds like a familiar system for anyone with phone-based two-factor authentication set up, but this is a replacement for the password rather
    than an additional factor.

Some push 2FA systems work over the Internet, but this new FIDO scheme
    works over Bluetooth. As the whitepaper explains, "Bluetooth requires physical proximity, which means that we now have a phishing-resistant way
    to leverage the user's phone during authentication." Bluetooth has a
    terrible reputation for compatibility, and I'm not sure "security" has ever been a real concern, but the FIDO alliance notes that Bluetooth is just "to verify physical proximity" and that the actual sign-in process "does not depend on Bluetooth security properties."

That means both devices will need Bluetooth on board, which is a given for most smartphones and laptops but could be a tough ask for older desktop
    PCs.

Although, I'm not sure I feel about this, for $7.99, plus sales tax, I
    bought a ASUS USB Bluetooth module. It allows use of my Bluetooth
    earplugs and mouse with my desktop and a laptop that do no not have it
    built in. It works great. The range is about the same as my computers
    with builtin Bluetooth.

YK

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Lewis@21:1/5 to yourkidding@yahoo.com on Fri May 6 14:58:38 2022
    In message <t52380$b2m$1@gioia.aioe.org> YK <yourkidding@yahoo.com> wrote:
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/05/apple-google-and-microsoft-want-bluetooth-proximity-to-replace-the-password/

Everyone with the slightest sense wants passwords to die.

The major OS vendors want to "expand support for a common passwordless
    sign-in standard created by the FIDO Alliance and the World Wide Web
    Consortium."

I wish they would look at SQLR which seems to have solved every possible
    issue.

works over Bluetooth. As the whitepaper explains, "Bluetooth requires
    physical proximity, which means that we now have a phishing-resistant way
    terrible reputation for compatibility, and I'm not sure "security" has ever >> been a real concern, but the FIDO alliance notes that Bluetooth is just "to >> verify physical proximity" and that the actual sign-in process "does not
    depend on Bluetooth security properties."

Yes, FIDO is correct on this score, using BT for proximity verification
    has nothing whatsoever to do with the authentication itself.

That means both devices will need Bluetooth on board, which is a given for >> most smartphones and laptops but could be a tough ask for older desktop
    PCs.

Older PCs are already security compromised.

--
    Don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your
    choices are half chance; so are everybody else's.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steven Carroll - frelwizen@21:1/5 to Lewis on Sat May 7 02:26:59 2022
    On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 7:58:42 AM UTC-7, Lewis wrote:
    In message <t52380$b2m$1...@gioia.aioe.org> YK <yourk...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    Apple, Google & Microsoft want to kill the password with Passkey standard Everyone with the slightest sense wants passwords to die.
    The major OS vendors want to "expand support for a common passwordless
    sign-in standard created by the FIDO Alliance and the World Wide Web
    Consortium."
    I wish they would look at SQLR which seems to have solved every possible issue.
    works over Bluetooth. As the whitepaper explains, "Bluetooth requires
    physical proximity, which means that we now have a phishing-resistant way >> to leverage the user's phone during authentication." Bluetooth has a
    terrible reputation for compatibility, and I'm not sure "security" has ever
    been a real concern, but the FIDO alliance notes that Bluetooth is just "to
    verify physical proximity" and that the actual sign-in process "does not >> depend on Bluetooth security properties."
    That means both devices will need Bluetooth on board, which is a given for >> most smartphones and laptops but could be a tough ask for older desktop
    PCs.

--
    Don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your
    choices are half chance; so are everybody else's.

He claims that he uses Windows, while of course he never saw it to get
    any real work done and fully played with it. That is exactly what's transpired. Snit likes to leave out such vexing little fine points, though. Who else
    do we know who pulls the same drivel? Oh, that's right, Nospam. Our second Nospam. LOL.

Frankly I do not really care. Despite all the crowing Nospam has done
    on this topic, the 'Computer Instructor' does not get how to do this.
    It literally takes a couple seconds to select a range and 'reverse' it.

--
    Curious how these posts are made? Email: fretwizzer@gmail.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gremlin the Functionally Illiterate@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 7 07:13:23 2022
    On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 8:04:41 PM UTC-7, YK wrote:

Apple, Google, and Microsoft are launching a "joint effort" to kill the password.

The major OS vendors want to "expand support for a common passwordless sign-in standard created by the FIDO Alliance and the World Wide Web Consortium."

The standard is being called either a "multi-device FIDO credential" or just a "passkey."

Instead of a long string of characters, this new scheme would have the app or website you're logging in to push a request to your phone for authentication. From there, you'd need to unlock the phone, authenticate with some kind of pin or biometric, and then you're on your way.

This sounds like a familiar system for anyone with phone-based two-factor authentication set up, but this is a replacement for the password rather than an additional factor.

Some push 2FA systems work over the Internet, but this new FIDO scheme works over Bluetooth. As the whitepaper explains, "Bluetooth requires physical proximity, which means that we now have a phishing-resistant way to leverage the user's phone during authentication." Bluetooth has a terrible reputation for compatibility, and I'm not sure "security" has ever been a real concern, but the FIDO alliance notes that Bluetooth is just "to verify physical proximity" and that the actual sign-in process "does not depend on Bluetooth security properties."

That means both devices will need Bluetooth on board, which is a given for most smartphones and laptops but could be a tough ask for older desktop PCs.
    Although, I'm not sure I feel about this, for $7.99, plus sales tax, I
    bought a ASUS USB Bluetooth module. It allows use of my Bluetooth
    earplugs and mouse with my desktop and a laptop that do no not have it
    built in. It works great. The range is about the same as my computers
    with builtin Bluetooth.

YK

Gee whiz, what was your first hintadoodle? The ones which claimed it
    was and that are unambigiously using faulty pattern matching to make
    the judgement, or was it something else? Please do be specific.

Amusingly, Sockboy essentially asked Pothead for that stuff. Nobody
    is being controlled by RMS. Do you believe the nonsense Sockboy is spewing? Eventually, if you bother to pay attention... you'd see that Sockboy's
    scheme is to 'carelessly' incite people and then play 'victim'.

--
    One Smart Penny
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22NARCISSISTIC+BIGOT%22 https://www.opensecrets.org/political-action-committees-pacs/C00166710/donors/2016
    Dustin Cook: Functional Illiterate Fraud

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve Carroll@21:1/5 to Steve Carroll on Sat May 7 17:33:42 2022
    On Saturday, May 7, 2022 at 7:13:26 AM UTC-7, Steve Carroll wrote:
    On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 8:04:41 PM UTC-7, YK wrote:

The standard is being called either a "multi-device FIDO credential" or just a "passkey."

Instead of a long string of characters, this new scheme would have the app
    or website you're logging in to push a request to your phone for authentication. From there, you'd need to unlock the phone, authenticate with some kind of pin or biometric, and then you're on your way.

This sounds like a familiar system for anyone with phone-based two-factor authentication set up, but this is a replacement for the password rather than an additional factor.

Some push 2FA systems work over the Internet, but this new FIDO scheme works over Bluetooth. As the whitepaper explains, "Bluetooth requires physical proximity, which means that we now have a phishing-resistant way to leverage the user's phone during authentication." Bluetooth has a terrible reputation for compatibility, and I'm not sure "security" has ever
    verify physical proximity" and that the actual sign-in process "does not depend on Bluetooth security properties."

That means both devices will need Bluetooth on board, which is a given for
    most smartphones and laptops but could be a tough ask for older desktop PCs.
    Although, I'm not sure I feel about this, for $7.99, plus sales tax, I bought a ASUS USB Bluetooth module. It allows use of my Bluetooth
    earplugs and mouse with my desktop and a laptop that do no not have it built in. It works great. The range is about the same as my computers
    with builtin Bluetooth.

YK
    Gee whiz, what was your first hintadoodle? The ones which claimed it
    was and that are unambigiously using faulty pattern matching to make
    the judgement, or was it something else? Please do be specific.

Amusingly, Sockboy essentially asked Pothead for that stuff. Nobody
    is being controlled by RMS. Do you believe the nonsense Sockboy is spewing? Eventually, if you bother to pay attention... you'd see that Sockboy's
    scheme is to 'carelessly' incite people and then play 'victim'.

--
    One Smart Penny
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22NARCISSISTIC+BIGOT%22 https://www.opensecrets.org/political-action-committees-pacs/C00166710/donors/2016
    Dustin Cook: Functional Illiterate Fraud

Just idiotic trolling. And I am responding to that trolling. THAT is what
    the "Nospam circus" is. The guy is as popular as a wet dog at a parlor
    social -- and with good reason.

Where did Nospam find your scripts?

--
    Top 15 Ways Nospam Trolls
    https://redd.it/6sfkup https://www.bing.com/search?q=Dustin%20Cook%20functional%20illiterate%20fraud https://v5.yc.edu/webtools/search/srchproc.asp
    Steve 'Narcissistic Bigot' Petruzzellis

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve Carroll the Narcissistic Bigo@21:1/5 to Steve Carroll the Narcissistic Bigo on Sun May 8 05:33:30 2022
    On Saturday, May 7, 2022 at 2:27:02 AM UTC-7, Steve Carroll the Narcissistic Bigot wrote:
    On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 7:58:42 AM UTC-7, Lewis wrote:
    In message <t52380$b2m$1...@gioia.aioe.org> YK <yourk...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    Everyone with the slightest sense wants passwords to die.
    The major OS vendors want to "expand support for a common passwordless >> sign-in standard created by the FIDO Alliance and the World Wide Web
    Consortium."
    I wish they would look at SQLR which seems to have solved every possible issue.
    Some push 2FA systems work over the Internet, but this new FIDO scheme >> works over Bluetooth. As the whitepaper explains, "Bluetooth requires
    physical proximity, which means that we now have a phishing-resistant way
    terrible reputation for compatibility, and I'm not sure "security" has ever
    verify physical proximity" and that the actual sign-in process "does not >> depend on Bluetooth security properties."
    That means both devices will need Bluetooth on board, which is a given for
    most smartphones and laptops but could be a tough ask for older desktop >> PCs.

--
    Don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance; so are everybody else's.
    He claims that he uses Windows, while of course he never saw it to get
    any real work done and fully played with it. That is exactly what's transpired.
    Snit likes to leave out such vexing little fine points, though. Who else
    do we know who pulls the same drivel? Oh, that's right, Nospam. Our second Nospam. LOL.

Frankly I do not really care. Despite all the crowing Nospam has done
    on this topic, the 'Computer Instructor' does not get how to do this.
    It literally takes a couple seconds to select a range and 'reverse' it.

--
    Curious how these posts are made? Email: fretw...@gmail.com

"Somewhere between 1999 or 2001 I trusted Snit Glasser, the completely absurd liar" - Steve Carroll the Narcissistic Bigot. Translation: "Steve Carroll
    the Narcissistic Bigot" is now *altogether* powerless to disguise his motives. Nobody is being controlled by Snit Glasser.

Ha, ha, ha!

It was Steve Carroll the Narcissistic Bigot who was publicly asking how
    better to mask his flooding. Steve Carroll the Narcissistic Bigot's behavior
    is really all duplicitous. There can be zero ambiguity that as soon as any forgiven 'person in his KF' does whatever to offend the little coward's feelings that they will be replonked.

--
    I Left My Husband & Daughter At Home And THIS happened https://www.google.com/maps/place/108+Warrior+Dr,+Kingsport,+TN+37663/ https://www.bing.com/search?q=%22narcissistic%20bigot%22 https://www.google.com/search?q=steve+carroll+the+narcissistic+bigot
    Dustin Cook is a functionally illiterate fraud

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05