• Installer for ORCA/Pascal is not working with a Floppy Emu

From Paul MacMillan@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 13 09:44:49 2020
    Good morning, I am trying to install ORCA/Pascal from the install floppies living on a Floppy Emu.

The installer is asking for disk named Pascal.Extras1, and I eject the installer disk via Emu and select the image for Extras1, and click OK... but the installer keeps asking for it. If I exit the installer I can see Extras1 mounted on the desktop. So
    kind of mysterious.

thanks in advance if someone has a fix for this!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Paul MacMillan@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 13 10:48:30 2020
    Have you examined the disk image with, e.g. Apple Commander? The installer reads the volume name, not the file name. Might be corrupted or the wrong image.

The image shows up mounted on the desktop with the right volume name, Pascal.Extras1 (the file name is different but that shouldn't matter as you point out). It also shows up in gnome and orca shell as correctly named.

Its almost as if the installer will only look at a volume in certain physical drive (Slot 5 Drive 1) even though the installer itself was run from a disk image mounted from Emu.

Maybe the Emu image is not seen by ProDOS (GS/OS) as a floppy drive, its seen as a hard drive (Not sure if that even makes sense)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steven Hirsch@21:1/5 to Paul MacMillan on Thu Aug 13 13:42:21 2020
    On 8/13/20 12:44 PM, Paul MacMillan wrote:
    Good morning, I am trying to install ORCA/Pascal from the install floppies living on a Floppy Emu.

The installer is asking for disk named Pascal.Extras1, and I eject the installer disk via Emu and select the image for Extras1, and click OK...
    but the installer keeps asking for it. If I exit the installer I can see Extras1 mounted on the desktop. So kind of mysterious.

Have you examined the disk image with, e.g. Apple Commander? The installer reads the volume name, not the file name. Might be corrupted or the wrong image.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul MacMillan@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 13 11:04:24 2020
    Maybe the Emu image is not seen by ProDOS (GS/OS) as a floppy drive, its seen as a hard drive (Not sure if that even makes sense)

On second thought, not likely as the icons in the finder for the Emu based floppies show correct floppy drive icon.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul MacMillan@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 14 06:45:30 2020
    Well it turns out its pretty easy to do the install manually, copying the files to their obvious destinations via the Finder. One thing that tripped me up was you need to re-sort the Libraries directory after the install, or linker errors abound !

(For some reason the orca shell command COMPRESS failed with a GS/OS access denied error? But ProDOS 8 Cat Doctor let me sort the dir no problem.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05