• I/O Buffer on Page Boundary

From Bill Chatfield@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 13 22:47:08 2021
    ProDOS requires a file I/O buffer to start on a page boundary. Merlin has syntax for filling to the next page boundary to make this easy. But, what if my assembler did not support "fill to next page boundary"? Is there a technique that can be used with a
    more basic assembler to position a variable on a page boundary?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From fadden@21:1/5 to billcha...@gmail.com on Sat Aug 14 07:41:15 2021
    On Friday, August 13, 2021 at 10:47:09 PM UTC-7, billcha...@gmail.com wrote:
    ProDOS requires a file I/O buffer to start on a page boundary. Merlin has syntax for filling to the next page boundary to make this easy. But, what if my assembler did not support "fill to next page boundary"? Is there a technique that can be used with
    a more basic assembler to position a variable on a page boundary?

The alignment directives are useful for stuff defined inside your program, because some instructions cost an extra cycle when they cross page boundaries. You can allocate the buffer outside the program's binary (in C terms, use malloc() instead of a
    static buffer). This is probably a better idea anyway since buffers declared inside the program take up space on disk.

If you really want to make it part of the code, a general approach is to over-allocate the buffer by 255 bytes, and then pass a pointer to a location inside the buffer instead of the start. If it starts at an unaligned address (say $1234), you'd inc the
    high byte and zero the low byte, to get $1300. This wastes up to 255 bytes of space in the binary... but so does an alignment directive. You're just aligning at run-time instead of assembly time.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From qkumba@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 14 16:08:38 2021
    If your assembler can adjust the position using arithmetic, you can do the equivalent of "var=(*+255) & -256)", where '*' denotes the current location in memory.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hugh Hood@21:1/5 to qkumba on Sat Aug 14 23:11:34 2021
    On 8/14/2021 6:08 PM, qkumba wrote:
    If your assembler can adjust the position using arithmetic, you can
    do the equivalent of "var=(*+255) & -256)", where '*' denotes the
    current location in memory.

Very clever. I'm curious, does Merlin allow the AND of a negative number
    like that?

Hugh Hood

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From qkumba@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 14 21:33:24 2021
    If not, then perhaps 0FF00h or 65280.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael J. Mahon@21:1/5 to Bill Chatfield on Sun Aug 15 01:39:28 2021
    Bill Chatfield <billchatfield1@gmail.com> wrote:
    ProDOS requires a file I/O buffer to start on a page boundary. Merlin has syntax for filling to the next page boundary to make this easy. But, what
    if my assembler did not support "fill to next page boundary"? Is there a technique that can be used with a more basic assembler to position a
    variable on a page boundary?

The problem can be solved pretty easily in any assembler that supports
    integer arithmetic expressions.

First, it’s necessary to determine which page the location counter is currently on, then add one to it and cause the location counter to advance
    to the first byte of that page. In many assemblers this is as simple as ORGing to the next page, but in some assemblers, including Merlin, ORG doesn’t work that way (ORG just informs the assembler that the code that follows will be executed at the ORG address, and then it continues to
    assemble code and data “in-line” at the original address).

OK, so let’s compute the current page by dividing the value of the current location counter (usually represented by “*”) by 256. Then add one to it (to get the next page) and multiply by 256 to get the desired location.

A special case that needs handling is the case when the location counter is *already* page aligned. To avoid wasting a page in that case, we need to subtract one from the original value of the location counter before doing
    the divide. So:

<new location counter> = ((* - 1)/256 + 1) * 256

As noted, in some assemblers, just ORG to the new location counter value.

In Merlin ORG won’t do what’s needed, but you can get the desired effect by DSing a number of bytes equal to the new location counter value minus the current location counter, like so:

ds *-1/256+1*256-*

It looks a little confusing, but since Merlin evaluates expressions from
    left to right that does exactly what I described! (Note that the “*” between the “1” and “256” means “multiply”, not “current location counter”.)

Strictly speaking, this isn’t required in Merlin since it has a built-in “page align” capability, but this technique can be used to align to *any* boundary if you substitute the desired boundary value for 256.

I usually define a macro “align” to do this, where the macro parameter takes the place of 256.

It has the advantage that it never wastes more space than is actually
    required to align to the desired boundary, which is half the boundary value
    on average, and therefore practically insignificant.

--
    -michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II: http://michaeljmahon.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill Chatfield@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 16 18:11:19 2021
    Great ideas. Thank you everyone. I wish I was smart enough to think of them myself. :-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05