• Turning Off Merlin's Annoying Beep

From Bill Chatfield@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 13 22:50:07 2021
    Merlin beeps every time the menu is displayed. I find this to be very annoying. If I'm actively typing keys, then I haven't fallen asleep yet and don't need to be woken up.

The manual for Merlin says you can turn off the bell (beep) by editing and assembling parms.s. I'm looking at parms.s but there's nothing in it about a bell or a beep. Does anyone know what the code is for parms.s to turn off the beep?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Marco Verpelli@21:1/5 to billcha...@gmail.com on Tue Jun 15 02:29:18 2021
    On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 7:50:08 AM UTC+2, billcha...@gmail.com wrote:
    Merlin beeps every time the menu is displayed. I find this to be very annoying. If I'm actively typing keys, then I haven't fallen asleep yet and don't need to be woken up.

The manual for Merlin says you can turn off the bell (beep) by editing and assembling parms.s. I'm looking at parms.s but there's nothing in it about a bell or a beep. Does anyone know what the code is for parms.s to turn off the beep?

I don't know which manual you have, but on the one I use (Merlin8/16) on page 167 there is the information you need:

byte #19 default 5, put 197 to eliminate beeps

Marco

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marco Verpelli@21:1/5 to billcha...@gmail.com on Tue Jun 15 06:35:54 2021
    On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 3:18:08 PM UTC+2, billcha...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 5:29:19 AM UTC-4, Marco Verpelli wrote:

I don't know which manual you have, but on the one I use (Merlin8/16) on page 167 there is the information you need:

Marco
    Thank you so much. For some reason, I couldn't find that. The manual I was reading is not searchable because it was digitized with the pictures of pages rather than character by character.

Atoms vs Bits final score 1-0

Marco

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill Chatfield@21:1/5 to Marco Verpelli on Tue Jun 15 06:18:06 2021
    On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 5:29:19 AM UTC-4, Marco Verpelli wrote:

Marco

Thank you so much. For some reason, I couldn't find that. The manual I was reading is not searchable because it was digitized with the pictures of pages rather than character by character.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05