• WTB: Three missing IIe key caps and switches

From emailjefframsey@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 21 07:15:53 2017
    My restoration of this IIe is almost complete. I need to buy the following three key caps and the switches that they sit upon:

"2"
    "↓"
    "Delete"

Here is a picture of the IIe. I want to get the light beige key caps with the white lettering that will match the existing key caps: https://i.imgur.com/CyknX28.jpg

Does anyone have a IIe with caps like this that they are parting out? If so, reply with a price for the 6 items (three key caps, three key switches) and a price.

Thanks,

-Jeff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From James Davis@21:1/5 to Jeff Ramsey on Tue Nov 21 13:54:13 2017
    On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 7:15:53 AM UTC-8, Jeff Ramsey wrote:
    My restoration of this IIe is almost complete. I need to buy the following three key caps and the switches that they sit upon:

"2"
    "↓"
    "Delete"

Here is a picture of the IIe. I want to get the light beige key caps with the white lettering that will match the existing key caps: https://i.imgur.com/CyknX28.jpg

Does anyone have a IIe with caps like this that they are parting out? If so, reply with a price for the 6 items (three key caps, three key switches) and a price.

Thanks,

-Jeff

IIRC, there is somebody on the Apple-Ring that sells those kinds of things.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Ramsey@21:1/5 to James Davis on Tue Nov 21 14:19:01 2017
    On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 1:54:14 PM UTC-8, James Davis wrote:

What is the Apple-Ring? I do not know of this... Google search returns a patent for a new Apple device that makes me think that Tim Cook has been watching too much Green Lantern.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Davis@21:1/5 to Jeff Ramsey on Tue Nov 21 16:10:57 2017
    On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 2:19:02 PM UTC-8, Jeff Ramsey wrote:
    On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 1:54:14 PM UTC-8, James Davis wrote:

What is the Apple-Ring? I do not know of this... Google search returns a patent for a new Apple device that makes me think that Tim Cook has been watching too much Green Lantern.

Go to http://a2central.com/ and look at the bottom of their home page. You can go Back and Forth along the Apple II WebRing, a group of cooperative websites all tied together through an internet ring network structure.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Davis@21:1/5 to Jeff Ramsey on Tue Nov 21 17:51:48 2017
    On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 5:19:26 PM UTC-8, Jeff Ramsey wrote:
    On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 4:10:58 PM UTC-8, James Davis wrote:
    Go to http://a2central.com/ and look at the bottom of their home page. You can go Back and Forth along the Apple II WebRing, a group of cooperative websites all tied together through an internet ring network structure.

Wow, looks like I could spend a few days going over these sites...

I glanced at each one and did not see anyone selling key caps, although Apple Rescue of Denver seems like the most likely candidate. I emailed them and asked if they have any key caps for sale matching the ones I have. They do have the key switches for
    $10 each. Seems a bit high to me, seeing how I can buy these from eBay for $5 + $3.50 shipping and I'm guessing the eBay guy would combine shipping if I bought three in same sale. Would end up being $30 plus shipping from Apple Rescue of Denver vs. <$20
    total from eBay.

Also, one eBay seller looks like they have the down arrow key I need for $5, but I asked them about the other two and they do not have the Delete or the 2...

A whole new keyboard might be cheaper.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Ramsey@21:1/5 to James Davis on Tue Nov 21 17:19:25 2017
    On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 4:10:58 PM UTC-8, James Davis wrote:

Wow, looks like I could spend a few days going over these sites...

I glanced at each one and did not see anyone selling key caps, although Apple Rescue of Denver seems like the most likely candidate. I emailed them and asked if they have any key caps for sale matching the ones I have. They do have the key switches for $
    10 each. Seems a bit high to me, seeing how I can buy these from eBay for $5 + $3.50 shipping and I'm guessing the eBay guy would combine shipping if I bought three in same sale. Would end up being $30 plus shipping from Apple Rescue of Denver vs. <$20
    total from eBay.

Also, one eBay seller looks like they have the down arrow key I need for $5, but I asked them about the other two and they do not have the Delete or the 2...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Ramsey@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 21 18:52:28 2017
    I see your point. Do you (or anyone else here) have one for sale? All of the IIe keyboards on eBay right now are missing a key or worse.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Davis@21:1/5 to Jeff Ramsey on Tue Nov 21 23:27:46 2017
    On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 6:52:28 PM UTC-8, Jeff Ramsey wrote:
    I see your point. Do you (or anyone else here) have one for sale? All of the IIe keyboards on eBay right now are missing a key or worse.

Jeff,

I do not have a keyboard, alone, for sale. If you cannot find a good one, maybe you can get one to scavenge what you need from it (or vice-versa). And, it might still be cheaper than obtaining just the keys you need.

A better idea is to purchase a better/working Apple IIe, and sell parts from the $30.00 one you bought. You might make a profit. Antoine seems to sell a lot. He might be a good mentor for this.

James Davis

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05