• Apple II Raspberry card

From James Davis@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 24 15:15:52 2018
    Does anybody know who makes this Apple II Raspberry interface card (for sale on ebay)?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-II-Raspberry-card/323506214965?hash=item4b52791835:g:8WoAAOSwzINbyP3e:rk:2:pf:0

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From groink1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 6 00:48:46 2019
    John Pham https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/introducing-our-cluster-back-plane-john-pham/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steven Hirsch@21:1/5 to groink1@gmail.com on Sun Jan 6 17:14:48 2019
    On 1/6/19 3:48 AM, groink1@gmail.com wrote:
    John Pham https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/introducing-our-cluster-back-plane-john-pham/

Interesting. Aside from a rather uninformative LinkedIn page and equally
    terse eBay listing, I can find no detailed information on either the backplane or the carrier card. Any documentation available?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From groink1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Steven Hirsch on Tue Jan 8 03:00:03 2019
    On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 12:14:54 PM UTC-10, Steven Hirsch wrote:
    Interesting. Aside from a rather uninformative LinkedIn page and equally terse eBay listing, I can find no detailed information on either the backplane
    or the carrier card. Any documentation available?

According to the one YouTube video I saw earlier, out of the box the card doesn't interact with the Apple II motherboard. All the Apple II does is supply power to the card - that's it! The Apple II card is simply a prototype card with a Raspberry Pi
    connection. You'd have to build additional circuitry to tie the Raspberry Pi to the Apple II hardware. It looks like a really nice prototype board - it has access to all the power rails, a couple of 74HCT244's, a small prototype area, and a 50-pin header
    to connect a logic analyzer.

As for the backplane, it is 100-percent proprietary. Nothing Apple II about the backplane. The designer simply chose to use the Apple II's 50-pin edge connector. So he's able to fulfill two markets: the Apple II prototype market, and the cluster market
    for those who maybe want to build a cheap crypto mining machine or something.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steven Hirsch@21:1/5 to groink1@gmail.com on Tue Jan 8 07:55:14 2019
    On 1/8/19 6:00 AM, groink1@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 12:14:54 PM UTC-10, Steven Hirsch wrote:
    Interesting. Aside from a rather uninformative LinkedIn page and
    equally terse eBay listing, I can find no detailed information on either
    the backplane or the carrier card. Any documentation available?

According to the one YouTube video I saw earlier, out of the box the card doesn't interact with the Apple II motherboard. All the Apple II does is supply power to the card - that's it! The Apple II card is simply a
    prototype card with a Raspberry Pi connection. You'd have to build
    additional circuitry to tie the Raspberry Pi to the Apple II hardware. It looks like a really nice prototype board - it has access to all the power rails, a couple of 74HCT244's, a small prototype area, and a 50-pin header
    to connect a logic analyzer.

As for the backplane, it is 100-percent proprietary. Nothing Apple II about the backplane. The designer simply chose to use the Apple II's 50-pin edge connector. So he's able to fulfill two markets: the Apple II prototype market, and the cluster market for those who maybe want to build a cheap crypto mining machine or something.

Thanks much for posting! Doesn't seem like anything of interest to me.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05