• Almost done, no thanks to Apple

From Thomas E.@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 31 14:21:01 2021
    Apple Store called at 11 am with the news that the data transfer did not work. So, brought the Mac home and am still in the process of moving files. Installing my Microsoft apps has worked well. Not so much for Quicken so far.

All peripherals - three printers, external monitor, 2 hard drives, keyboard and mouse were quick and easy. Get a few more files moved, some account tweaks, set up Time Machine, fix Quicken, and good to go for now.

Tedious but not difficult.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Alan@21:1/5 to Thomas E. on Sun Oct 31 14:45:29 2021
    On 2021-10-31 2:21 p.m., Thomas E. wrote:
    Apple Store called at 11 am with the news that the data transfer did
    not work. So, brought the Mac home and am still in the process of
    moving files. Installing my Microsoft apps has worked well. Not so
    much for Quicken so far.

By which you mean, "No thanks to somebody at one Apple store".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John@21:1/5 to Thomas E. on Sun Oct 31 18:27:44 2021
    On 10/31/2021 2:21 PM, Thomas E. wrote:
    Apple Store called at 11 am with the news that the data transfer did not work. So, brought the Mac home and am still in the process of moving files. Installing my Microsoft apps has worked well. Not so much for Quicken so far.

All peripherals - three printers, external monitor, 2 hard drives, keyboard and mouse were quick and easy. Get a few more files moved, some account tweaks, set up Time Machine, fix Quicken, and good to go for now.

The latest Quicken for Mac installs quite easily and works well.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Thomas E.@21:1/5 to Alan on Sun Oct 31 20:13:39 2021
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 5:45:34 PM UTC-4, Alan wrote:
    On 2021-10-31 2:21 p.m., Thomas E. wrote:
    Apple Store called at 11 am with the news that the data transfer did
    not work. So, brought the Mac home and am still in the process of
    moving files. Installing my Microsoft apps has worked well. Not so
    much for Quicken so far.
    By which you mean, "No thanks to somebody at one Apple store".

Worse than that, and it was Apple. I tried the Apple migration tool here on my WiFi too with the HP working fine, and the Mac could not find it on the network. I suppose the Apple techs could have done what I did. That was copy my archived files from my
    smaller external HD to the much larger 4 tb. Then I formatted the small drive in exFAT, copied all the HP data files to that drive and from there to the Mac. After I get the files moved over I'll format the small drive for a Time Machine install.

What went REALLY well was the Office 365 and Edge Installs. All my settings came over from Windows Edge, and I just had to get the Outlook files synced with the cloud after entering some credentials. Edge even installed its extensions.

I just sent off a small PowerPoint to a client that I'm doing pro bono work for. Done on the Mac. For the most part the OS and hardware transitions have been pretty easy, but I still have a lot to learn.

So far nothing very unexpected. This Mac is FAST!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Thomas E.@21:1/5 to John on Sun Oct 31 19:59:57 2021
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 9:27:51 PM UTC-4, John wrote:

Actually it's nowhere near as good as the Windows version. No contest. I'll be ditching the Mac version and buying Parallels just for Quicken if nothing else.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John@21:1/5 to Thomas E. on Sun Oct 31 20:50:11 2021
    On 10/31/2021 7:59 PM, Thomas E. wrote:

Actually it's nowhere near as good as the Windows version. No contest. I'll be ditching the Mac version and buying Parallels just for Quicken if nothing else.

Actually it is much better. The Win version is crude 32 bit code. And
    the interface is not optimized for high res 4k displays. The Mac
    version is 64 bit and looks great on a high res display.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Thomas E.@21:1/5 to John on Mon Nov 1 10:15:14 2021
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 11:50:18 PM UTC-4, John wrote:

Actually you are wrong. The Windows version is much better organized overall and has the ability to edit daily investment prices. I have significant assets in a fund that is not publicly traded. To track performance in Quicken I have to manually input
    fund NAV data. If you know how to do that in the MAC version let me know. Also, bill and income reminders are much better organized in the Windows version.

I could care less how it looks. I need the functionality.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alan@21:1/5 to Thomas E. on Mon Nov 1 11:03:44 2021
    On 2021-11-01 10:15 a.m., Thomas E. wrote:
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 11:50:18 PM UTC-4, John wrote:

Actually you are wrong. The Windows version is much better organized overall and has the ability to edit daily investment prices. I have significant assets in a fund that is not publicly traded. To track performance in Quicken I have to manually input
    fund NAV data. If you know how to do that in the MAC version let me know. Also, bill and income reminders are much better organized in the Windows version.

I could care less how it looks. I need the functionality.

In this instance, I completely agree.

Functionality trumps fashion every time.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05