• Re: eBooks on iPad (iOS) .. converting Nook to PDF?

From ed@21:1/5 to -hh on Fri Aug 11 12:11:04 2023
    On Friday, August 11, 2023 at 2:24:19 PM UTC-4, -hh wrote:
    Looking at picking up a couple of eBooks and storing them on an iPad before traveling.

One is Nook-based. I've found that there's an iOS Nook App, but I'd prefer sticking with a less-proprietary format for ease of device portability, such as PDF.

What suggestions are there for how to, and what tools may be needed to do this?

Likewise, I don't know if this is a futile effort because of DRM .. does Nook require the use thereof, or will I not know if there's DRM until after purchase and I'm looking at converting it?

haven't done a nook book in a long time, but calibre used to work, and is generally the go-to for handling ebooks. consider epub rather than off.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From -hh@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 11 11:24:16 2023
    Looking at picking up a couple of eBooks and storing them on an iPad before traveling.

One is Nook-based. I've found that there's an iOS Nook App, but I'd prefer sticking with a less-proprietary format for ease of device portability, such as PDF.

Likewise, I don't know if this is a futile effort because of DRM .. does Nook require the use thereof, or will I not know if there's DRM until after purchase and I'm looking at converting it?

-hh

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RabidPedagog@21:1/5 to -hh on Fri Aug 11 15:17:14 2023
    On 2023-08-11 2:24 p.m., -hh wrote:

I used Calibre and its plug-ins to move my Amazon Kindle book collection
    over to the Kobo I picked up. It's open-source and does a wonderful job.
    It can remove the DRM from the Kobo books too.

--
    RabidPedagog
    TG: @RabidPedagog
    Galatians 6:7

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05