• Re: Name a _single_ useful basic iOS app functionality not already on A

From Little Jack Horner@21:1/5 to John on Sat Aug 13 04:42:12 2022
    John wrote:

A promoter of Android?   LMFAO.

It is not a promoter of Android. It gets the social interaction it wants
    by trolling. It has not yet learned how to get the social interaction it
    wants in any other way.

All who feed it are encouraging it to troll.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Andy Burnelli@21:1/5 to nospam on Sat Aug 13 18:41:51 2022
    XPost: misc.phone.mobile.iphone

nospam wrote:

One more, and it can be good or bad, is that on iOS an app cannot
    prevent screen shots.

there are ways to prevent capturing what's on the screen.

It's good people are _thinking_ hard about what basic functionality is on
    one platform and yet that same basic functionality is missing from another.

However, screen capture is a bit more complex than it at first may appear.
    <https://i.postimg.cc/90pQ60PS/cards05.jpg> Added a VISA & an insurance ID

Recently I studied screen capture on Android, to snapshot credit-card credentials for example, and I found out by experiment that sometimes you
    can work around the Android prevention of screen capture (e.g., by running older versions of mirroring software), and sometimes you can't (e.g., by running newer versions of that software which I found out accidentally).

The difference may not be that a "clever" person will always find a way to capture the screen, but that the "more correct" way to say it is perhaps by stating in the document something to the effect that iOS doesn't have a "native" public API to prevent easy screen capture whereas Android does.

it's also meaningless since someone can use a separate camera to take a
    photo of the screen.

It's "convenient" to capture on Windows what is mirrored from iOS/Android.
    <https://i.postimg.cc/TYvqdxCT/vysor35.jpg> iOS & Android PC mirroring

But a photo would be almost the same, I agree, so I think Steve's document needs to be more explicit in what exactly he's claiming is not possible.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Thomas E.@21:1/5 to Andy Burnelli on Tue Aug 16 06:38:53 2022
    On Wednesday, August 10, 2022 at 3:43:24 PM UTC-4, Andy Burnelli wrote:
    *Name a _single_ useful basic iOS app functionality not already on Android* *Name just one*

In another thread, Steve claimed that the basic functionality of "Garage Band" and "Apple News" is _completely missing_ from Android... which means Steve doesn't understand what functionality is if he can't separate functionality from brand names.

Likewise, in the same thread, nospam pasted a ton of trademarks (such as "Apple Pay" and even "animoji" as his idea of useful basic functionality
    that he thinks Android completely lacks.

Neither Steve nor nospam can separate functionality from marketing brands. Hence, the question remains...

*Name a _single_ useful basic iOS app functionality not already on Android* *Name just one*

Hint: You can't.
    There is a good reason for that but first you have to realize the facts. *Apple severely restricts what the apps can do; Google can't*
    --
    And no, we're not talking rooted/jailbroken and we're not talking about
    which app brand you happen to like best. If you happen to like some of the features of a brand X newsreader, for example, that is only on one platform and not the other, then that doesn't count because newsreaders are on both platforms - and hence the basic app functionality isn't completely missing from either platform.

The ability to boot up a new phone and install your apps and other settings from an iPad signed into the same account. Or, wipe/reset an iPhone and restore using an iPad. VERY useful.

In my case access to hearing aid technology via iPhone Accessibility settings. This is not available on our Android phone or tablet.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John@21:1/5 to Thomas E. on Wed Aug 17 21:28:35 2022
    On 8/16/2022 6:38 AM, Thomas E. wrote:
    *Name a _single_ useful basic iOS app functionality not already on Android* >> *Name just one*

In another thread, Steve claimed that the basic functionality of "Garage
    Band" and "Apple News" is _completely missing_ from Android... which means >> Steve doesn't understand what functionality is if he can't separate
    functionality from brand names.

Likewise, in the same thread, nospam pasted a ton of trademarks (such as
    "Apple Pay" and even "animoji" as his idea of useful basic functionality

Neither Steve nor nospam can separate functionality from marketing brands. >> Hence, the question remains...

*Name a _single_ useful basic iOS app functionality not already on Android* >> *Name just one*

There is a good reason for that but first you have to realize the facts.
    *Apple severely restricts what the apps can do; Google can't*
    --
    which app brand you happen to like best. If you happen to like some of the >> features of a brand X newsreader, for example, that is only on one platform >> and not the other, then that doesn't count because newsreaders are on both >> platforms - and hence the basic app functionality isn't completely missing >> from either platform.

The ability to boot up a new phone and install your apps and other settings from an iPad signed into the same account. Or, wipe/reset an iPhone and restore using an iPad. VERY useful.

In my case access to hearing aid technology via iPhone Accessibility settings. This is not available on our Android phone or tablet.

Anything advanced is not going to be on Android because there is no
    market for it. Android users are lower IQ so they have no need for
    advanced applications.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Thomas E.@21:1/5 to Andy Burnelli on Fri Aug 19 06:05:36 2022

In another thread, Steve claimed that the basic functionality of "Garage Band" and "Apple News" is _completely missing_ from Android... which means Steve doesn't understand what functionality is if he can't separate functionality from brand names.

Likewise, in the same thread, nospam pasted a ton of trademarks (such as "Apple Pay" and even "animoji" as his idea of useful basic functionality

Neither Steve nor nospam can separate functionality from marketing brands. Hence, the question remains...

There is a good reason for that but first you have to realize the facts. *Apple severely restricts what the apps can do; Google can't*
    --
    which app brand you happen to like best. If you happen to like some of the features of a brand X newsreader, for example, that is only on one platform and not the other, then that doesn't count because newsreaders are on both platforms - and hence the basic app functionality isn't completely missing from either platform.

Here is another one. My iPad receives text messages sent to my phone. Do Android tablets have that capability across brands?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John@21:1/5 to Thomas E. on Fri Aug 19 12:17:23 2022
    On 8/19/2022 6:05 AM, Thomas E. wrote:

In another thread, Steve claimed that the basic functionality of "Garage
    Band" and "Apple News" is _completely missing_ from Android... which means >> Steve doesn't understand what functionality is if he can't separate
    functionality from brand names.

Likewise, in the same thread, nospam pasted a ton of trademarks (such as
    "Apple Pay" and even "animoji" as his idea of useful basic functionality

Neither Steve nor nospam can separate functionality from marketing brands. >> Hence, the question remains...

There is a good reason for that but first you have to realize the facts.
    *Apple severely restricts what the apps can do; Google can't*
    --
    which app brand you happen to like best. If you happen to like some of the >> features of a brand X newsreader, for example, that is only on one platform >> and not the other, then that doesn't count because newsreaders are on both >> platforms - and hence the basic app functionality isn't completely missing >> from either platform.

Here is another one. My iPad receives text messages sent to my phone. Do Android tablets have that capability across brands?

Of course not.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Thomas E.@21:1/5 to Alan on Thu Aug 25 13:43:22 2022
    On Sunday, August 21, 2022 at 2:28:48 PM UTC-4, Alan wrote:
    On 2022-08-21 10:32, Jerry Friedman wrote:
    On 8/21/22 5:17 PM, Alan wrote:
    The current version of iOS supports devices that are nearly 8 years old.

You don't understand you can't update the main Apple app after that.

With Android you can.
    With iOS, you can't.

Android is like Japanese cars.
    iOS is like American cars.

Android started as junk and then it improved and never stopped improving. iOS never improved so the Apple apps stop getting their security updates.
    So is this just the next "Arlen" sock?

Show me a 7 year old Android phone that can run the latest version of Android.

Just one.

7! how about 4 or 5?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05