• Another CarPlay post

From Thomas E.@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 22 07:14:43 2022
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-is-apple-carplay-still-not-a-great-experience/

Exactly my experience too. The concept is good. BUT, because there is no end-to-end control system integrity is compromised. Apple, the only entity that has the ability to control multiple in-car next links needs to make and enforce standards that can
    increase reliability across car makes. One way might be to license software to car makers and make its in-car use mandatory for the CarPlay option in the car's entertainment system.

Quotes from the article:

My daily driver car doesn't have Apple's CarPlay smartphone integration system, but every time I hire a car (which is at least once every month or so), I get a chance to see if it's improved.

And each time, I'm sort of pleasantly surprised to see that it's gotten better, but I always feel a pang of disappointment because it could be a lot better.

I'm running an iPhone 13 Pro Max, loaded with the latest iOS 15.2.1 update, so everything on my end is good to go. The car is a late 2021 Vauxhall Corsa, so that's quite new too.

Everything is pretty fresh, so I can't blame any problems on aging technology.

So why is CarPlay so unreliable?

I mean, the process is itself quite simple. You connect a Lightning cable to the car (USB-A cable) and hook up the other end to the iPhone.

And then hope it works.

In my experience, this has about a 90% chance of success. Maybe some of this is down to me not getting used to the idiosyncrasies of the car, but remember, all I'm doing is connecting a cable to the car.

The scope for me "doing it wrong" is small.

The current vehicle also comes with Bluetooth, and that can also be used for CarPlay, but getting that working seems more of a faff.

OK, assuming it connects, the next problem I find is random disconnections. And as far as I can tell, they're pretty random. Sometimes it's rock-solid. Next time, I'll get several disconnections within a short period.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Alan@21:1/5 to Thomas E. on Sat Jan 22 14:27:45 2022
    On 2022-01-22 7:14 a.m., Thomas E. wrote:
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-is-apple-carplay-still-not-a-great-experience/

Exactly my experience too. The concept is good. BUT, because there
    is no end-to-end control system integrity is compromised. Apple, the
    only entity that has the ability to control multiple in-car next
    links needs to make and enforce standards that can increase
    reliability across car makes. One way might be to license software to
    car makers and make its in-car use mandatory for the CarPlay option
    in the car's entertainment system.

Quotes from the article:

My daily driver car doesn't have Apple's CarPlay smartphone
    integration system, but every time I hire a car (which is at least
    once every month or so), I get a chance to see if it's improved.

And each time, I'm sort of pleasantly surprised to see that it's
    gotten better, but I always feel a pang of disappointment because it
    could be a lot better.

I'm running an iPhone 13 Pro Max, loaded with the latest iOS 15.2.1
    update, so everything on my end is good to go. The car is a late 2021 Vauxhall Corsa, so that's quite new too.

I mean, the process is itself quite simple. You connect a Lightning
    cable to the car (USB-A cable) and hook up the other end to the
    iPhone.

And then hope it works.

In my experience, this has about a 90% chance of success. Maybe some
    of this is down to me not getting used to the idiosyncrasies of the
    car, but remember, all I'm doing is connecting a cable to the car.

The current vehicle also comes with Bluetooth, and that can also be
    used for CarPlay, but getting that working seems more of a faff.

OK, assuming it connects, the next problem I find is random
    disconnections. And as far as I can tell, they're pretty random.
    Sometimes it's rock-solid. Next time, I'll get several disconnections
    within a short period.

So despite posting... ...at least more than half the article, you
    managed to leave this out:

'Despite all these misgivings, I still think that CarPlay is a great
    system (to me it feels superior to Android Auto, but that might be
    because I'm more used to the iOS interface). It hands-down beats any
    other in-car smartphone integration system I've used.'

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Thomas E.@21:1/5 to Alan on Sun Jan 23 06:33:40 2022
    On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 5:27:49 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:
    On 2022-01-22 7:14 a.m., Thomas E. wrote:

Exactly my experience too. The concept is good. BUT, because there
    is no end-to-end control system integrity is compromised. Apple, the
    only entity that has the ability to control multiple in-car next
    links needs to make and enforce standards that can increase
    reliability across car makes. One way might be to license software to
    car makers and make its in-car use mandatory for the CarPlay option
    in the car's entertainment system.

Quotes from the article:

My daily driver car doesn't have Apple's CarPlay smartphone
    integration system, but every time I hire a car (which is at least
    once every month or so), I get a chance to see if it's improved.

And each time, I'm sort of pleasantly surprised to see that it's
    gotten better, but I always feel a pang of disappointment because it
    could be a lot better.

I'm running an iPhone 13 Pro Max, loaded with the latest iOS 15.2.1 update, so everything on my end is good to go. The car is a late 2021 Vauxhall Corsa, so that's quite new too.

I mean, the process is itself quite simple. You connect a Lightning
    cable to the car (USB-A cable) and hook up the other end to the
    iPhone.

And then hope it works.

In my experience, this has about a 90% chance of success. Maybe some
    of this is down to me not getting used to the idiosyncrasies of the
    car, but remember, all I'm doing is connecting a cable to the car.

The current vehicle also comes with Bluetooth, and that can also be
    used for CarPlay, but getting that working seems more of a faff.

OK, assuming it connects, the next problem I find is random disconnections. And as far as I can tell, they're pretty random.
    Sometimes it's rock-solid. Next time, I'll get several disconnections within a short period.
    managed to leave this out:

'Despite all these misgivings, I still think that CarPlay is a great
    system (to me it feels superior to Android Auto, but that might be
    because I'm more used to the iOS interface). It hands-down beats any
    other in-car smartphone integration system I've used.'

Uh, Alan, I did post the link with the entire content. In fact, in your quote the author admits that CarPlay might be his personal favorite only because he is used to the iOS interface. I agree with him. The 3-pane windowed iOS screen is really nice. In
    terms of reliable connections my experience is that they are not very different.

That last sentence is puzzling. Other than Bluetooth, what other generally available auto/phone interface is there? Both iOS and Android Auto have more features than Bluetooth. One nice thing about Bluetooth is that it is always wireless and in my
    experience a lot more reliable than iOS and Android Auto. Why? It's a relatively simple system that is for AV content, one app at a time, streaming only. But to switch apps you have to pick up the phone. Map systems do not work on Bluetooth. Not very
    good indeed.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve Carroll@21:1/5 to Thomas E. on Sun Jan 23 12:09:21 2022
    On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 8:14:44 AM UTC-7, Thomas E. wrote:

Exactly my experience too. The concept is good. BUT, because there is no end-to-end control system integrity is compromised. Apple, the only entity that has the ability to control multiple in-car next links needs to make and enforce standards that can
    increase reliability across car makes. One way might be to license software to car makers and make its in-car use mandatory for the CarPlay option in the car's entertainment system.

Quotes from the article:

My daily driver car doesn't have Apple's CarPlay smartphone integration system, but every time I hire a car (which is at least once every month or so), I get a chance to see if it's improved.

And each time, I'm sort of pleasantly surprised to see that it's gotten better, but I always feel a pang of disappointment because it could be a lot better.

I mean, the process is itself quite simple. You connect a Lightning cable to the car (USB-A cable) and hook up the other end to the iPhone.

And then hope it works.

In my experience, this has about a 90% chance of success. Maybe some of this is down to me not getting used to the idiosyncrasies of the car, but remember, all I'm doing is connecting a cable to the car.

The current vehicle also comes with Bluetooth, and that can also be used for CarPlay, but getting that working seems more of a faff.

OK, assuming it connects, the next problem I find is random disconnections. And as far as I can tell, they're pretty random. Sometimes it's rock-solid. Next time, I'll get several disconnections within a short period.

What is your evidence? Nobody gets it, I am the one who figured it out.

Yup. Sadly this is what we have to deal with. Psychopaths who have no
    reason for being here other than to antagonize others. Why is Steve Carroll
    a Narcissistic Bigot?

-
    Top 15 Ways Pothead Trolls https://www.bing.com/search?q=Steve%20Petruzzellis%20narcissistic%20bigot Dustin Cook is a functionally illiterate fraud

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dustin the dude with the stuck flop@21:1/5 to Thomas E. on Sun Jan 23 15:53:55 2022
    On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 8:14:44 AM UTC-7, Thomas E. wrote:

Quotes from the article:

And then hope it works.

You do, of course realize that the massive floods ending up in multiple
    groups started out in COLA, right? http://web.archive.org/web/20210414021502if_/https://ibb.co/vQ4M1sX
    Peeler's posts are nothing but an indecipherable rambling.

What do you get out of lying, Peeler? Time to blame the cult-like herd
    of convenient friends! A sustained, relentless, posting itch, regardless
    of content - like gunky worm prostitutes, and vigorously-greased ram, hung from the ceiling for his own private requirements. By listening to 'social warriors' like that you get phrases like 'equality'. Carried to its (il)logical
    progression, the concept that it's 'unfair' for a conservative human to
    not wish to have sex with a goat is pushed.

--
    E-commerce Simplified
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=%22narcissistic%20bigot%22
    Steve 'Narcissistic Bigot' Carroll

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sandman@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 24 14:00:21 2022
    In article <9fc92a2b-9b48-4e88-8bae-0faa26ef7087n@googlegroups.com>, Thomas
    E. wrote:

Alan:
    managed to leave this out: 'Despite all these misgivings, I still
    think that CarPlay is a great system (to me it feels superior to
    Android Auto, but that might be because I'm more used to the iOS interface). It hands-down beats any other in-car smartphone
    integration system I've used.'

Uh, Alan, I did post the link with the entire content. In fact, in
    your quote the author admits that CarPlay might be his personal
    favorite only because he is used to the iOS interface. I agree with
    him. The 3-pane windowed iOS screen is really nice. In terms of
    reliable connections my experience is that they are not very
    different.

That last sentence is puzzling. Other than Bluetooth, what other
    generally available auto/phone interface is there? Both iOS and
    Android Auto have more features than Bluetooth. One nice thing about Bluetooth is that it is always wireless and in my experience a lot
    more reliable than iOS and Android Auto. Why? It's a relatively
    simple system that is for AV content, one app at a time, streaming
    only. But to switch apps you have to pick up the phone. Map systems
    do not work on Bluetooth. Not very good indeed.

There's been a number of smartphone integrations where your smartphone has an app that the car communicates with, usually via a cable or maybe bluetooth.

I never tried it, but HondaLink was one. I think most of these systems are deprecated by now with Carplay/Android Auto.

--
    Sandman

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dusty Crook@21:1/5 to Sandman on Tue Jan 25 20:58:15 2022
    On Monday, January 24, 2022 at 7:00:24 AM UTC-7, Sandman wrote:
    In article <9fc92a2b-9b48-4e88...@googlegroups.com>, Thomas
    E. wrote:

Alan:
    managed to leave this out: 'Despite all these misgivings, I still
    think that CarPlay is a great system (to me it feels superior to
    Android Auto, but that might be because I'm more used to the iOS interface). It hands-down beats any other in-car smartphone
    integration system I've used.'

Uh, Alan, I did post the link with the entire content. In fact, in
    your quote the author admits that CarPlay might be his personal
    favorite only because he is used to the iOS interface. I agree with
    him. The 3-pane windowed iOS screen is really nice. In terms of
    reliable connections my experience is that they are not very
    different.

That last sentence is puzzling. Other than Bluetooth, what other
    generally available auto/phone interface is there? Both iOS and
    Android Auto have more features than Bluetooth. One nice thing about Bluetooth is that it is always wireless and in my experience a lot
    more reliable than iOS and Android Auto. Why? It's a relatively
    simple system that is for AV content, one app at a time, streaming
    only. But to switch apps you have to pick up the phone. Map systems
    do not work on Bluetooth. Not very good indeed.
    There's been a number of smartphone integrations where your smartphone has an app that the car communicates with, usually via a cable or maybe bluetooth.

I never tried it, but HondaLink was one. I think most of these systems are deprecated by now with Carplay/Android Auto.

--
    Sandman

You're like a school bus in a bike rack. We all see you sitting there and
    let you know. And you're so dumb you keep repeating it.

Theo is trying ("very" hard) to project their crap onto Jeff Relf. For some time Theo has encouraged the claim that Jeff Relf needs 'support' to point
    out all his poor behavior. The fact is that nobody needs any evidence to
    do that. So Theo pulls this absurd trolling baloney in a sickly attempt to 'peddle' the idea that Jeff Relf is like him.

Windows Mobile, runs on the circuitry kernel. So yeah, circuitry is mobile. circuitry is a super computer. circuitry is a server. circuitry is a desktop. circuitry is growing in market share. My view point: Even if you were only learning just for fun, the claim that gaining knowledge as being one of having "naught" to show for it doesn't make any sense because you'll of course have the knowledge to show for it and intelligence is an advantage in life. When will Theo support the allegation he's made copius times now about me being
    a Jeff Relf sock?

Theo does not know if there is a free open source that promotes PEE.

-
    One Smart Penny!
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22FUNCTIONAL+ILLITERATE+FRAUD%22 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NmOycD4yKU
    Steve 'Narcissistic Bigot' Petruzzellis

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05