• anyone got any ideas on getting NIC to work on Vaio VGN-AR170?

From myfathersson@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 11 09:00:12 2016
    This seems to be a known problem with this laptop but I cant find the cure unless my NIC has simply died.

I cant get it to see any networks at all in XP Media Center. Nor will it see anything in Netstumbler under UBCD4WIN or using a LinuxMint 17.3 live DVD.

At first I didn't realise there is a Wireless switch and after checking everything and loading the newest ProSet wireless drivers and software, when I switched the hardware switch on, the whole thing suddenly sprang to life and read all the local WiFIs
    and logged on to mine!

But despite trying, I have never managed to get it to scan ever since. Despite having proset drivers, there is a fix out there to let windows manage the wireless connection by deleting the third party software key in regedit but that doesn't work

Does my paragraphs 2 simply mean that my formerly unreliable NIC has died? I think it is buried deep in the computer somewhere and can't simply be changed easily by taking off a cover.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Bob_Villa@21:1/5 to myfathersson on Sat Jun 11 13:29:55 2016
    On Saturday, June 11, 2016 at 11:00:13 AM UTC-5, myfathersson wrote:
    This seems to be a known problem with this laptop but I cant find the cure unless my NIC has simply died.

I cant get it to see any networks at all in XP Media Center. Nor will it see anything in Netstumbler under UBCD4WIN or using a LinuxMint 17.3 live DVD.

At first I didn't realise there is a Wireless switch and after checking everything and loading the newest ProSet wireless drivers and software, when I switched the hardware switch on, the whole thing suddenly sprang to life and read all the local WiFIs
    and logged on to mine!

But despite trying, I have never managed to get it to scan ever since. Despite having proset drivers, there is a fix out there to let windows manage the wireless connection by deleting the third party software key in regedit but that doesn't work

Does my paragraphs 2 simply mean that my formerly unreliable NIC has died? I think it is buried deep in the computer somewhere and can't simply be changed easily by taking off a cover.

Nvidia (from what I've read/heard) video over-heating causes M/B issues. I had an HP and changing the NIC made no difference...ended-up selling it with a WiFi dongle for $125.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)