• Goldstar GS620 386sx/20

From thypope@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Sallyanne on Wed Dec 16 21:01:01 2015
    On Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 10:25:27 PM UTC+3, Sallyanne wrote:
    I bought a Goldstar GS620 386sx/20 notebook on my way through
    Singapore in 1991. It lasted until 1997 and travelled over 200 000 km.
    By that time the hard drive had died and the LCD backlight went with
    it. Since this was my first PC and for a while my only computer, I
    even continued to use it with external monitor and drive until I
    upgraded to a desktop. As it happens, after all of these years I
    rediscovered this little machine in the abyss of my garage and much to
    my amazement, it still works! So in fairness to it, I'd like to fix it
    and would like any assistance in opening it up, which I can't seem to
    do. A service manual would be nice.

Regards
    Sallyanne

Do you still have it, ma'am? You seem to own one of those rare ones with 4 MB, which means yours has a very hard to find, proprietary 2 MB RAM card. I would need that card so badly, even just temporarily! I can explain everything, of course, but first I
    would need to know if you still have it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From just_me@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 18 01:36:01 2015
    Lady Sallyanne,

Do you still have that GS620? I have both one of those and a Zenith Mastersport. Neither of them has 4 MB of RAM like yours does, and that means your machine has one nifty but proprietary, custom-made 2 MB RAM card.

I found another Zenith for sale and I would like to have four of these connected to each other, working as a single machine. I found sufficient Linux software to do that, but I really need at least one machine with that 2 MB card in it. I found an
    engineer who said he can clone it if I manage to find it. Not easy, but doable.

So please, if you still have that little laptop, tell me if you're willing to sell it for very good use :)

Alex

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob_Villa@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 18 05:50:39 2015
    On Friday, December 18, 2015 at 1:36:05 AM UTC-6, just_me wrote:
    Lady Sallyanne,

Do you still have that GS620? I have both one of those and a Zenith Mastersport. Neither of them has 4 MB of RAM like yours does, and that means your machine has one nifty but proprietary, custom-made 2 MB RAM card.

I found another Zenith for sale and I would like to have four of these connected to each other, working as a single machine. I found sufficient Linux software to do that, but I really need at least one machine with that 2 MB card in it. I found an
    engineer who said he can clone it if I manage to find it. Not easy, but doable.

So please, if you still have that little laptop, tell me if you're willing to sell it for very good use :)

Alex

This person had one post in '08...what do YOU think?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05