• New AS/400 owner, please help me out to get it working

From michaheinzi@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 23 03:35:27 2019
    Hello everybody,
    as a fan of oldschool mainframes I was happy to get a AS/400 9406-270 a few days ago. Since I don't have any hardwareterminals I was glad to read, that the J11-Connector on the back could be used with a Null-Modem-Cable to connect to a PC on usb. I
    bought Startech FTDI USB to RS232 N-M-Adapter cable and run "Putty" on my linux-PC (LinuxMint 19.1). The port /dev/ttyUSB0 is detected both by the system and can be used in Putty. But there is just a black screen with a green block cursor, but no
    interaction by keyboard possible, no display on the screen during booting or any else.

So, how can I connect to the machine? And is the J11-Port even ready to work as serial input from a software-terminal like Putty? Maybe I have to switch or adjust something on the machine itself, by using to small display on the front?

Unfortunaly there was no documentation with the machine. So I even don't know, if and in case of, which OS is installed.

I'm aware, my decision to get a small mainframe was bit blue-eyed and hasty, but I am willing to learn ...

Any recommendations?

Best regards,
    Micha

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From michaheinzi@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 23 05:16:01 2019
    Sorry, I meant the green labeled connector left to J11 ...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jon Paris@21:1/5 to micha...@gmail.com on Sat Feb 23 07:44:18 2019
    On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 6:35:29 AM UTC-5, micha...@gmail.com wrote: <snip>
    I'm aware, my decision to get a small mainframe was bit blue-eyed and hasty, but I am willing to learn ...

Any recommendations?

Best regards,
    Micha
    Best recommendation I can make is that you post this question on a lst with a lot more traffic and where the hardware gurus like Dr. Franken hang out. That means the Midrange-L list at Midrange.com. As you may have noticed there is very little traffic
    here.

P.S. If you wanna make friends, don't refer to it as a "mainframe" - a lot of us natives don't like mainframes <grin>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Grant Taylor@21:1/5 to Jon Paris on Sat Feb 23 11:57:25 2019
    On 2/23/19 8:44 AM, Jon Paris wrote:
    P.S. If you wanna make friends, don't refer to it as a "mainframe" -
    a lot of us natives don't like mainframes <grin>

Similarly, a number of mainframeres are miffed by people calling an
    AS/400 / iSeries a mainframe.

I agree that there are considerable differences between mainframes and
    AS/400s, but from a lot of people's point of view, they are quite similar.

--
    Grant. . . .
    unix || die

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From michaheinzi@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 23 11:18:42 2019
    Thank you, I will try the next days.

Am Samstag, 23. Februar 2019 16:44:20 UTC+1 schrieb Jon Paris:

Best recommendation I can make is that you post this question on a lst with a lot more traffic and where the hardware gurus like Dr. Franken hang out. That means the Midrange-L list at Midrange.com. As you may have noticed there is very little traffic
    here.

P.S. If you wanna make friends, don't refer to it as a "mainframe" - a lot of us natives don't like mainframes <grin>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05