• Where is stamped the AS/400 Serial Number

From CENTRINO@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 9 15:14:16 2018
    Where is "logically stamped" the serial number of an old AS/400 9406
    mod 170?

I mean: the motherboard, the front panel, processor, disc configuration ? ...

I am asking this question, because we have one of them up and running and as IBM does not support its hardware any more via maintenance
    contract, we are to buy a second hand one as spare parts. Just in case
    we have to replace something that do not imply serial number change.

We cannot get a new machine, since we have a very expensive software that will not work with a different serial number nor model.

Thanks in advance.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jonathan Bailey@21:1/5 to CENTRINO on Fri Aug 10 05:26:11 2018
    On Thursday, 9 August 2018 15:14:18 UTC+1, CENTRINO wrote:
    mod 170?

I mean: the motherboard, the front panel, processor, disc configuration
    ? ...

I am asking this question, because we have one of them up and running and as IBM does not support its hardware any more via maintenance

We cannot get a new machine, since we have a very expensive software that will not work with a different serial number nor model.

Thanks in advance.

We had a new motherboard in a 520 a few years back. IBM spent a while trying to start ASMI with old chrome/mozilla then gave up saying that all the codes were in the Service processor card which has the ASMI/HMC ethernet sockets and seems to be connected
    to the front panel somehow. I cant tell from a quick google if a 170 has that plugin card. I dont have any better suggestions than you if not.

Jonathan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From krishna.roneil@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Jonathan Bailey on Tue Jun 16 18:29:38 2020
    Hello Jonathan.

Came across this post. We have a 170 that we have to change the board for now for the very same reason. Keen to know how this went.

Thanks

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 10:26:13 PM UTC+10, Jonathan Bailey wrote:
    On Thursday, 9 August 2018 15:14:18 UTC+1, CENTRINO wrote:
    mod 170?

I mean: the motherboard, the front panel, processor, disc configuration
    ? ...

I am asking this question, because we have one of them up and running and as IBM does not support its hardware any more via maintenance contract, we are to buy a second hand one as spare parts. Just in case

Thanks in advance.

We had a new motherboard in a 520 a few years back. IBM spent a while trying to start ASMI with old chrome/mozilla then gave up saying that all the codes were in the Service processor card which has the ASMI/HMC ethernet sockets and seems to be
    connected to the front panel somehow. I cant tell from a quick google if a 170 has that plugin card. I dont have any better suggestions than you if not.

Jonathan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From krishna.roneil@gmail.com@21:1/5 to CENTRINO on Tue Jun 16 18:31:29 2020
    How did you end of resolving the issue.

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 12:14:18 AM UTC+10, CENTRINO wrote:
    mod 170?

I mean: the motherboard, the front panel, processor, disc configuration ? ...

Thanks in advance.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05