• retrieving & displaying spool file

From mrd.chakravarthy@gmail.com@21:1/5 to nis on Wed Jan 1 23:41:38 2020
    On Thursday, 19 October 2006 19:11:34 UTC+5:30, nis wrote:
    ohh yeh...
    i am new in this area of spool file and dealing with printers...but i remember one of my co-worker redirected the output to a file instead of printer.....n it again bounced my head off...but luckily as of now i
    dun have to deal with it...but i m sure i wil have to come accross it
    some day!

Thanks,
    Nisarg.

Jonathan Bailey wrote:
    nis wrote:
    hey guys,

thanks for d replies...
    I got d solution ...i need to use printparameterlist and getTransformedInputStream() to extract text out of spool file.

The encoding thingy still bounces my head off.

Thanks,
    Nisarg.

If you look at it another way..A spool file is data more or less ready
    to be printed. If you printed plain text on a windows system using the printer driver but to a file, then try reading the output from that you would have quite a good time. On old dot matrix printers the output for just 1 line of text could be a couple of kilobyes.

Jonathan.

Can u please send the code ? with PrintParam list

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Frederick P.@21:1/5 to mrd.cha...@gmail.com on Wed Apr 22 13:11:49 2020
    On Thursday, January 2, 2020 at 2:41:40 AM UTC-5, mrd.cha...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Thursday, 19 October 2006 19:11:34 UTC+5:30, nis wrote:
    ohh yeh...
    i am new in this area of spool file and dealing with printers...but i remember one of my co-worker redirected the output to a file instead of printer.....n it again bounced my head off...but luckily as of now i
    dun have to deal with it...but i m sure i wil have to come accross it
    some day!

Thanks,
    Nisarg.

Jonathan Bailey wrote:
    nis wrote:
    hey guys,

thanks for d replies...
    I got d solution ...i need to use printparameterlist and getTransformedInputStream() to extract text out of spool file.

The encoding thingy still bounces my head off.

Thanks,
    Nisarg.

If you look at it another way..A spool file is data more or less ready
    to be printed. If you printed plain text on a windows system using the printer driver but to a file, then try reading the output from that you would have quite a good time. On old dot matrix printers the output for just 1 line of text could be a couple of kilobyes.

Jonathan.

Can u please send the code ? with PrintParam list

I don't have access to an iSeries at the moment, but you can use CPYSPLF I believe. It's something like
    CPYSPLF OUTPUT(*FILE) OUTFILE(*LIBL/MYSPLF)
    There are someother parameters like "Create File/Member", so if you're going to write and CLP or a CMD, keep that in mind.

Thanks

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)